* Quick Syscall question
@ 2004-09-05 18:17 Eric Bambach
From: Eric Bambach @ 2004-09-05 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

	This may seem like a silly question, however we were all beginning
programmers once ;)

	I want to do some manipulating of network interfaces and routing and such. I
am reading through some of the linux net sources but am confused on what are
internal, kernel-only functions and what are externally visable syscalls. How
can I tell from the source what is user-space visable that I can hook into
and what is intternel stuff? Should I just be looking at headers or do I have
to delve into the .c sources? I can do either, I just need a pointer on where
to start and what I should be looking for.

Thanks
--

-EB

* Re: Quick Syscall question
@ 2004-09-05 18:31 ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2004-09-05 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eric; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 13:17:42 -0500 Eric Bambach wrote:

| Hello,
|
| 	This may seem like a silly question, however we were all beginning
| programmers once ;)
|
| 	I want to do some manipulating of network interfaces and routing and such. I
| am reading through some of the linux net sources but am confused on what are
| internal, kernel-only functions and what are externally visable syscalls. How
| can I tell from the source what is user-space visable that I can hook into
| and what is intternel stuff? Should I just be looking at headers or do I have
| to delve into the .c sources? I can do either, I just need a pointer on where
| to start and what I should be looking for.

Most syscalls are listed in include/linux/syscalls.h.
Also look in include/asm-*/unistd.h.
Also in entry.S in arch/*/ (various sub-directory levels).

--
~Randy

* Re: Quick Syscall question
@ 2004-09-05 22:17   ` Neil Horman
From: Neil Horman @ 2004-09-05 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: eric, linux-kernel

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 13:17:42 -0500 Eric Bambach wrote:
>
>| Hello,
>|
>| 	This may seem like a silly question, however we were all beginning
>| programmers once ;)
>|
>| 	I want to do some manipulating of network interfaces and routing and such. I
>| am reading through some of the linux net sources but am confused on what are
>| internal, kernel-only functions and what are externally visable syscalls. How
>| can I tell from the source what is user-space visable that I can hook into
>| and what is intternel stuff? Should I just be looking at headers or do I have
>| to delve into the .c sources? I can do either, I just need a pointer on where
>| to start and what I should be looking for.
>
>Most syscalls are listed in include/linux/syscalls.h.
>Also look in include/asm-*/unistd.h.
>Also in entry.S in arch/*/ (various sub-directory levels).
>
>--
>~Randy
>-

Also, if you're looking into writing kernel modules, anything listed in
arch/*ksyms.c as a symbol inside an EXPORT_SYMBOL block is accessible,
although that may not mean its available from user space.
Neil

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer
 *Red Hat, Inc.