* [uml-devel] Managing 2.6 merge
@ 2004-09-18 17:44 Paolo Giarrusso
From: Paolo Giarrusso @ 2004-09-18 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

Jeff, could you please make sure you CC: me /the uml-devel list on every patch
you send to Andrew Morton? I'm working on merging a lot of patches myself, so
I'd like to be notified.

However, if you now are working on the mainline tree yourself, I'm going to
send you a tarball containing my remaining patches. I've got a lot of them,
right now.

Bye
--
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade
Linux registered user n. 292729

* Re: [uml-devel] Managing 2.6 merge
@ 2004-09-18 20:52 ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-09-18 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Giarrusso; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 07:44:58PM +0200, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:
> Jeff, could you please make sure you CC: me /the uml-devel list on every patch
> you send to Andrew Morton? I'm working on merging a lot of patches myself, so
> I'd like to be notified.

OK, easy enough.  BTW, I've seen cc-ing LKML, so it's not like I've been doing
it privately.

> However, if you now are working on the mainline tree yourself, I'm going to
> send you a tarball containing my remaining patches. I've got a lot of them,
> right now.

OK.  If you can point out the ones which you think should go into mainline
soon, that would make my life a bit easier.

				Jeff

* Re: [uml-devel] Managing 2.6 merge
@ 2004-09-19  9:43   ` Paolo Giarrusso
From: Paolo Giarrusso @ 2004-09-19  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel; +Cc: Jeff Dike

On Saturday 18 September 2004 22:52, Jeff Dike wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 07:44:58PM +0200, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:
> > Jeff, could you please make sure you CC: me /the uml-devel list on every
> > patch you send to Andrew Morton? I'm working on merging a lot of patches
> > myself, so I'd like to be notified.
>
> OK, easy enough.  BTW, I've seen cc-ing LKML, so it's not like I've been
> doing it privately.
Yes but subscribing to LKML is not an option for me at the moment (yes, it is
possible to use archives, but slow).
> > However, if you now are working on the mainline tree yourself, I'm going
> > to send you a tarball containing my remaining patches. I've got a lot of
> > them, right now.

> OK.  If you can point out the ones which you think should go into mainline
> soon, that would make my life a bit easier.
Yes, ok - you will find the notes in the "series" file. Since I was going to
merge also the patches from your tree, you may find them, too.

I will send some patches which need special care separately.

Bye
--

@ 2004-09-19 11:38   ` Paolo Giarrusso
From: Paolo Giarrusso @ 2004-09-19 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel; +Cc: Jeff Dike

On Saturday 18 September 2004 22:52, Jeff Dike wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 07:44:58PM +0200, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:
> > Jeff, could you please make sure you CC: me /the uml-devel list on every
> > patch you send to Andrew Morton? I'm working on merging a lot of patches
> > myself, so I'd like to be notified.
>
> OK, easy enough.  BTW, I've seen cc-ing LKML, so it's not like I've been
> doing it privately.
>
> > However, if you now are working on the mainline tree yourself, I'm going
> > to send you a tarball containing my remaining patches. I've got a lot of
> > them, right now.
>
> OK.  If you can point out the ones which you think should go into mainline
> soon, that would make my life a bit easier.
Well, since I'm doing a lot of Makefile work, can you (when I send the
patches) move
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/work/current/2.6/2.6.8.1-1um/patches/clean
out of the way? I'm going to merge those changes in the ones I send you (with
appropriate credit) and to correct them (for instance, TOPDIR is deprecated).

I have a lot of experience about kbuild, so I can put appropriate care about
makefiles quality.

Bye
--

@ 2004-09-20  9:38     ` Gerd Knorr
From: Gerd Knorr @ 2004-09-20  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Giarrusso; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel, Jeff Dike

Paolo Giarrusso <blaisorblade_personal@yahoo.it> writes:

> I have a lot of experience about kbuild, so I can put appropriate care about
> makefiles quality.

kbuild wishlist item #1: working parallel builds aka "make -j" for UML.

  Gerd

--
return -ENOSIG;

* Re: [uml-devel] Managing 2.6 merge - url for the patches sent to merge
@ 2004-09-20 18:30       ` Paolo Giarrusso
From: Paolo Giarrusso @ 2004-09-20 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel; +Cc: Gerd Knorr, Jeff Dike

On Monday 20 September 2004 11:38, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> Paolo Giarrusso <blaisorblade_personal@yahoo.it> writes:
> > I have a lot of experience about kbuild, so I can put appropriate care
> > about makefiles quality.
>
> kbuild wishlist item #1: working parallel builds aka "make -j" for UML.
Done and posted to Jeff - the complete set of patches which I posted him is
now available at this URL (no link in the page, sorry):

http://www.user-mode-linux.org/~blaisorblade/newSite/patches/guest/patches-to-merge-for-2.6.tar.bz2

Don't use uml-use-va_end.patch, it breaks UML on rebooting. The Makefile
patches are near the end of "series".

Bye
--

@ 2004-09-21  3:21         ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2004-09-21  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Giarrusso; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel, Gerd Knorr

blaisorblade_personal@yahoo.it said:
> Don't use uml-use-va_end.patch, it breaks UML on rebooting.

How?  That patch looks completely safe to me.

Rebooting is broken (in tt mode anyway) because the file lock on the root
ubd file descriptor isn't dropped.  Mysteriously, setting that descriptor
CLOEXEC doesn't seem to help.

				Jeff

* Re: [uml-devel] Managing 2.6 merge - url for the patches sent to merge
@ 2004-09-21 12:37         ` Gerd Knorr
From: Gerd Knorr @ 2004-09-21 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Giarrusso; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel, Jeff Dike

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 08:30:49PM +0200, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:
> On Monday 20 September 2004 11:38, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> > kbuild wishlist item #1: working parallel builds aka "make -j" for UML.
> Done and posted to Jeff - the complete set of patches which I posted him is
> now available at this URL (no link in the page, sorry):

Works great, thanks.  It took some time to figure that the kernel binary
is vmlinux now and not linux any more through, guess that will surprise
a few other people as well.  Is there some good reason for that change?

  Gerd

--

@ 2004-09-21 17:55           ` Paolo Giarrusso
From: Paolo Giarrusso @ 2004-09-21 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel; +Cc: Gerd Knorr, Jeff Dike

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 14:37, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 08:30:49PM +0200, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:
> > On Monday 20 September 2004 11:38, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> > > kbuild wishlist item #1: working parallel builds aka "make -j" for UML.
> >
> > Done and posted to Jeff - the complete set of patches which I posted him
> > is now available at this URL (no link in the page, sorry):

> Works great, thanks.

> It took some time to figure that the kernel binary
> is vmlinux now and not linux any more through, guess that will surprise
> a few other people as well.  Is there some good reason for that change?
Making kallsyms work, since that does a post-processing on vmlinux which
results become invalid if you later relink it - adding a "mv vmlinux linux"
is not a problem to avoid surprising people, I've just been waiting for "what
to do here".

In fact, now, when UML outputs a stack trace, it also outputs the function
names, as 2.6 i386 (and other archs) do. Check also uml-use-kallsyms about
this. It should help bug reporters, too.

Finally, this also fixes the "empty /proc/kallsyms" problem.

Bye
--

@ 2004-09-21 18:01           ` Paolo Giarrusso
From: Paolo Giarrusso @ 2004-09-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel; +Cc: Jeff Dike, Gerd Knorr

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 05:21, Jeff Dike wrote:
> blaisorblade_personal@yahoo.it said:
> > Don't use uml-use-va_end.patch, it breaks UML on rebooting.
>
> How?  That patch looks completely safe to me.
I'm not understanding why either, but with the patch applied, I get
"Segmentation fault" soon after reboot. You can read a complete output below.
Also notice the "deactivate_all_fds failed, errno = 9", which is frequent even
without the patch.

However, note that you may need SKAS and SYSEMU to trigger that (maybe).

> Rebooting is broken (in tt mode anyway) because the file lock on the root
> ubd file descriptor isn't dropped.
No, I'm not getting this problem.

> Mysteriously, setting that descriptor
> CLOEXEC doesn't seem to help.
No, this problem seems to go away on 2.6 hosts (at least, that's my random
experience). It seems, so, a 2.4 host bug.

See this patch from Henrik Normstrod for a workaround:

http://marasystems.com/download/uml/10-flock.patch

Checking for the skas3 patch in the host...found
Checking for /proc/mm...found
Linux version 2.6.9-rc2merging-pass1 (paolo@zion.localdomain) (gcc version
3.3.2 (Mandrake Linux 10.0 3.3.2-6mdk)) #7 Sun Sep 19 20:33:32 CEST 2004
[...]
Memory: 29128k available
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Checking for host processor cmov support...Yes
Checking for host processor xmm support...No
Checking that ptrace can change system call numbers...OK
Checking syscall emulation patch for ptrace...found
Checking that host ptys support output SIGIO...Yes
Checking that host ptys support SIGIO on close...No, enabling workaround
Checking for /dev/anon on the host...Not available (open failed with errno 2)
NET: Registered protocol family 16
[...]
Initializing stdio console driver
INIT: version 2.84 booting
INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 6
INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
reboot
Restarting system.

[This is always output at reboot, ALWAYS, if there is no segfault]
deactivate_all_fds failed, errno = 9

Checking for the skas3 patch in the host...found
Checking for /proc/mm...found
Linux version 2.6.9-rc2merging-pass1 (paolo@zion.localdomain) (gcc version
3.3.2 (Mandrake Linux 10.0 3.3.2-6mdk)) #7 Sun Sep 19 20:33:32 CEST 2004
Built 1 zonelists
[bla bla bla]
INIT: version 2.84 booting
INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 6
INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
reboot
Restarting system.

Segmentation fault

I've done a little debugging of that without success, but the problem is after
coming back to main.

Bye
--

@ 2004-09-21 19:11             ` Henrik Nordstrom
From: Henrik Nordstrom @ 2004-09-21 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Giarrusso; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel, Jeff Dike, Gerd Knorr

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:

>> Mysteriously, setting that descriptor
>> CLOEXEC doesn't seem to help.
> No, this problem seems to go away on 2.6 hosts (at least, that's my random
> experience). It seems, so, a 2.4 host bug.
>
> See this patch from Henrik Normstrod for a workaround:
>
> http://marasystems.com/download/uml/10-flock.patch

When I looked into this problem I concluded the fcntl locks in the host
kernel got completely messed up by the cloning or something similar. Using
flock works just as good assuming the ubd files is local and is not
plauged by the same host bug. Most likely the host gets confused by the
close being done from another pid than who issued the lock.

The host bug is not limited to rebooting only, the lock is permanent and
will stay forever. In fact I suspect the CLOEXEC flag as such is working,
it is just that the host does not realize the lock belongs to this fd.

This Linux kernel issue can probably be utilized to play some interesting
DOS games on Linux systems where you have a account or otherwise the
ability to run code, but I have not cared to investigate the exact details
closely.

Regards
Henrik