* [U-Boot-Users] Re: Should "imls" show ramdisk_image.gz copied into the flash ?
@ 2004-09-21 22:16 Inna Povolotsky
From: Inna Povolotsky @ 2004-09-21 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

>> Should "imls" show the presence of the ramdisk_image.gz copied
>> into the flash ?? (and I do not see it ...)

> No, it should not. "imls" will only show valid U-Boot images.
> ramdisk_image.gz is missing a valid U-boot header.

ramdisk_image.gz was downloaded from the site you have recommended:

 ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/ppc_82xx

What is the missing operation (which is not, by the way, in the 7.6 of your manual, which also -I just double-checked - still refers to downloading from ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk - you may consider correcting it, Sir ...), which I have to perform (over ramdisk_image.gz downloaded from your "correct" site ?)?

To reiterate, I do not think this "missing" step is covered in 7.6 either.
Could I kindly ask you to be more detailed in your answers - so I will not need to bother you yet again.

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Alex

Get your name as your email address.

* [U-Boot-Users] Re: Should "imls" show ramdisk_image.gz copied into the flash ?
@ 2004-09-21 22:25 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2004-09-21 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <20040921.151713.5279.260575@webmail08.lax.untd.com> you wrote:

> > ramdisk_image.gz is missing a valid U-boot header.
>
> ramdisk_image.gz was downloaded from the site you have recommended:
>
>  ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/ppc_82xx

Yes, but it's still just a  compressed  ramdisk  image,  and  not  an
U-Boot image.

> What is the missing operation (which is not, by the way, in the 7.6 of your manual, which also -I just double-checked - still refers to downloading from ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk - you may consider correcting it, Sir
> ...), which I have to perform (over ramdisk_image.gz downloaded from your "correct" site ?)?

Please let me know where you find this stale link. The manual page at
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxRamdiskRoot
looks OK to me.

> To reiterate, I do not think this "missing" step is covered in 7.6 either.

No, this is not in 7.6. But did you read the README?

> Could I kindly ask you to be more detailed in your answers - so I will not need to bother you yet again.

If I answer all your questions in complete detail, split into  easily
digestable  chunks  you  will  just  follow  the  description without
thinking. Tomorrow, you'll ask similar  questions  again.  Instead  I
want  to  make you start thinking yourself. In thge long term this is
much more efficient - for you and for me.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that  causes  you
to  stumble.  Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you
have crossed the mountain.

* [U-Boot-Users] Re: Should "imls" show ramdisk_image.gz copied into the flash ?
@ 2004-09-21 22:52 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2004-09-21 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <20040921.151713.5279.260575@webmail08.lax.untd.com> you wrote:

> > No, it should not. "imls" will only show valid U-Boot images.
> > ramdisk_image.gz is missing a valid U-boot header.
>
> ramdisk_image.gz was downloaded from the site you have recommended:
>
>  ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/ppc_82xx

Just to be absolutely clear: try using the "pRamdisk" image instead.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds."               - Mark Twain

* [U-Boot-Users] Re: Should "imls" show ramdisk_image.gz copied into the flash ?
@ 2004-09-21 23:49 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2004-09-21 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <20040921.155548.5279.260745@webmail08.lax.untd.com> you wrote:

> May I kindly suggest you to learn how to use Google searching:

Maybe it's just that I am not a native English speaker, but your tone
sounds a bit agressive to me. Is this intentional? Did I do  anything
wrong to offend you?

Didn't I always answer your questions, spending a lot of my  time  on
you for free?

> Results 1 - 2 of about 4 for "A minimal ramdisk image for first tests can be found in ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk ".

... and no such file exists, or does it?

What exactly are you trying to tell me?  May  I  repeat  my  question
where  _exactly_ you DOWNLOADED a "SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk" file from?
I would really like to erase any copies of this file if there  should
be any left - except that I cannot find any.

> http://www.denx.de/doc/TQM8xxL/dplg.pdf
> http://www.denx.de/doc/CPU86/dplg.ps

Follow old links, and you will read old (and  obsolete)  information.
You  can  find  more obsolete stuff on our web server if you dig deep
enough. But if you follow the normal  links  you  should  get  mostly
recent stuff only.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"...and the fully armed nuclear warheads, are, of  course,  merely  a
courtesy detail."

* [U-Boot-Users] Re: Should "imls" show ramdisk_image.gz copied into the flash ?
@ 2004-09-21 22:55 Inna Povolotsky
From: Inna Povolotsky @ 2004-09-21 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2004-09-21 20:37 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2004-09-21 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <20040921.115546.2741.933233@webmail17.lax.untd.com> you wrote:

> Should "imls" show  the presence of the ramdisk_image.gz copied into the flash ?? (and I do not see it ...)(.

No, it should not. "imls" will only show valid U-Boot images.

ramdisk_image.gz is missing a valid U-boot header.

> If above issue/question is resolved, I presume my next U-Boot command should be:
>
> => bootm 200000 FF800000
>
> Am I guessing correctly ?

No. U-Boot will not use a ramdisk_image.gz image.

> One more question - what bootargs I should preset in U-Boot for this scenario ?

Whatever you like. The "root=/dev/ram" part is mandatory, of cource.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits
of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does
at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower.
            - R.  Pirsig, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"