* e1000 kick
@ 2004-10-08 23:17 Scott Huang
From: Scott Huang @ 2004-10-08 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi folks,

Is there a way to force tx dma to start on e1000 after
the I fill up the tx ring to a certain level?

thanks

-Scott

* Re: e1000 kick
@ 2004-10-09 17:38 ` Scott Feldman
From: Scott Feldman @ 2004-10-09 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Huang; +Cc: netdev

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 16:17, Scott Huang wrote:
> Is there a way to force tx dma to start on e1000 after
> the I fill up the tx ring to a certain level?

Just delay the write of the Tx tail index (TDT).  Writing to the Tx tail
index signals hardware to start the DMA from Tx head index (TDH) to
TDT.  See code for

	E1000_WRITE_REG(&adapter->hw, TDT, i);

But don't delay too long...you'll trigger the tx_timeout reset.

-scott

* Re: e1000 kick
@ 2004-10-10 21:43 ` jamal
From: jamal @ 2004-10-10 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Huang; +Cc: netdev

What are you trying to do?
I have some patches i wouldnt mind passing on for test purposes
but it would depend on what the end goal is,

cheers,
jamal

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 19:17, Scott Huang wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Is there a way to force tx dma to start on e1000 after
> the I fill up the tx ring to a certain level?
>
> thanks
>
> -Scott

* Re: e1000 kick
@ 2004-10-11 16:24   ` Scott Huang
From: Scott Huang @ 2004-10-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hadi; +Cc: netdev

Hi Jamal,

I would like to DMA packets to/from pre-allocated
fixed-sized buffer pools for a user space TCP/IP stack
to transmit/receive packets. The Rx path is working
well. I wanted to control when the card should DMA
packets from the Tx pool.

thanks

-Scott

--- jamal <hadi@cyberus.ca> wrote:

> What are you trying to do?
> I have some patches i wouldnt mind passing on for
> test purposes
> but it would depend on what the end goal is,
>
> cheers,
> jamal
>
> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 19:17, Scott Huang wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Is there a way to force tx dma to start on e1000
> after
> > the I fill up the tx ring to a certain level?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > -Scott

* Re: e1000 kick
@ 2004-10-24 17:01     ` jamal
From: jamal @ 2004-10-24 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Huang; +Cc: netdev

Scott,
Sorry to bother you again. I am still trying to evaluate whether i
should go and grab these patches from the unconnected machine.
In other words, they may not be useful for you.
Is this a proprieatry stack, something you are researching. what?
How do you pass the packets from user space straight to DMA?

cheers,
jamal