* Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-11 16:04 annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-11 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

I am trying to boot a linux kernel using a PlanetCore
BootLoader on an embedded planet board. I am used to
always using U-Boot for my Kernel booting needs. I am
not sure how to get this going on a PlanetCore boot
loader. I am sure someone has gone through this before
and I was trying to find information but since
lists.linuxppc.org is down, I am unable to find
anything.

BTW, when is lists.linuxpcc.org coming back? I hope
that alteast the archives are backed up somewhere to
be made available in the future. Does anyone have any
status on that. Thanks in advance for the help.

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-11 16:38 ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2004-10-11 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Oct 11, 2004, at 12:04 PM, annamaya wrote:

> I am trying to boot a linux kernel using a PlanetCore
> BootLoader on an embedded planet board. I am used to
> always using U-Boot for my Kernel booting needs. I am
> not sure how to get this going on a PlanetCore boot
> loader.

You need to build a zImage so you get the simple
bootloader that will read the information from the EEPROM
and format the board structure.

Load the zImage file as a binary.  It has a 64K ELF header
on it, so you can either use 'dd' to strip that before the
download or add 64K to the load address to use as the
start address.  The start address is the first instruction of
the image (or +64K if you didn't remove the ELF header).

	-- Dan

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-11 17:33   ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-11 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Dan,
First let me thank you for still being around to
answer questions for people like me. You helped me out
a lot a few years ago when I was just starting to work
on all the embedded stuff. I am glad you are still
helping everyone else.

I will try the zImage trick but I just wanted to know
if the assumption here is that the kernel already
understands the EEPROM data format to construct
bd_info. Is that correct? If the kernel is unable to
get to this data, is there another way to pass this
info to the kernel?

Thanks much.

--- Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2004, at 12:04 PM, annamaya wrote:
>
> > I am trying to boot a linux kernel using a
> PlanetCore
> > BootLoader on an embedded planet board. I am used
> > always using U-Boot for my Kernel booting needs. I
> am
> > not sure how to get this going on a PlanetCore
> boot
> > loader.
>
> You need to build a zImage so you get the simple
> bootloader that will read the information from the
> EEPROM
> and format the board structure.
>
> Load the zImage file as a binary.  It has a 64K ELF
> header
> on it, so you can either use 'dd' to strip that
> before the
> download or add 64K to the load address to use as
> the
> start address.  The start address is the first
> instruction of
> the image (or +64K if you didn't remove the ELF
> header).
>

> 	-- Dan

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-11 17:50   ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-11 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

I loaded a zImage into address 0x100000 in RAM and
verified that this was indeed an ELF file. I then said
"go 0x100040" which would start executing the code
after skipping the 64 bytes of ELF header. But this is
what I see happen.

BDI>info
    Target CPU        : MPC8280/8220/5200 (Zeppo)
    Target state      : debug mode
    Debug entry cause : <reserved 0>
    Current PC        : 0x00100040
    Current CR        : 0x20004022
    Current MSR       : 0x00000000
    Current LR        : 0xfff0531c

It looks like address 0x0 is reserved for some weird
reason. When I do a dump of the 0x0 area, it looks
like there is copy of the planetcore bootloader here
since I see some text indicating that. If I dont have
the BDI hooked up, I see an immediate reboot of the
device, consistant with executing the bootloader at
0x0.

Any inputs on why this is happenning? I just
understand the PlanetCore bootloader very well.

--- Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2004, at 12:04 PM, annamaya wrote:
>
> > I am trying to boot a linux kernel using a
> PlanetCore
> > BootLoader on an embedded planet board. I am used
> > always using U-Boot for my Kernel booting needs. I
> am
> > not sure how to get this going on a PlanetCore
> boot
> > loader.
>
> You need to build a zImage so you get the simple
> bootloader that will read the information from the
> EEPROM
> and format the board structure.
>
> Load the zImage file as a binary.  It has a 64K ELF
> header
> on it, so you can either use 'dd' to strip that
> before the
> download or add 64K to the load address to use as
> the
> start address.  The start address is the first
> instruction of
> the image (or +64K if you didn't remove the ELF
> header).
>

> 	-- Dan

http://vote.yahoo.com

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-11 18:15     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2004-10-11 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 10:50:54AM -0700, annamaya wrote:

> I loaded a zImage into address 0x100000 in RAM and
> verified that this was indeed an ELF file. I then said
> "go 0x100040" which would start executing the code
> after skipping the 64 bytes of ELF header. But this is
> what I see happen.

It's 64Kilobytes, so you'd want 0x00110000.  You also might be loading
yourself a bit too low.  The default link address is (assuming this is
2.4 and I'm still recalling right) 0x00200000, so you might as well load
things there.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-11 18:38       ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-11 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rini; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Oops! Thanks for pointing that blooper. I am so used
to dealing with the U-Boot header of 64 bytes that I
misread the ELF header size as 64 bytes instead of 64
KBytes.

Anyways, it looks like I am much farther that I have
ever been before. Now, I see that the PC is stuck at
some address that I am not sure what to make off. Is
this before the MMU has been turned on? Also, it looks
like my BDI is not showing the "Debug entry cause"
correctly.

BDI>info
    Target CPU        : MPC8280/8220/5200 (Zeppo)
    Target state      : debug mode
    Debug entry cause : <reserved 0>
    Current PC        : 0x00401890
    Current CR        : 0x20002024
    Current MSR       : 0x00002040
    Current LR        : 0x0040084c

I am not sure how I can map this address to some
address in the kernel. Could this be due to the
unavailability of bdinfo? Do I have to put in support
in the kernel to pass bdinfo? Thanks much.

@ 2004-10-11 18:47         ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2004-10-11 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 11:38:28AM -0700, annamaya wrote:

> Oops! Thanks for pointing that blooper. I am so used
> to dealing with the U-Boot header of 64 bytes that I
> misread the ELF header size as 64 bytes instead of 64
> KBytes.
>
> Anyways, it looks like I am much farther that I have
> ever been before. Now, I see that the PC is stuck at
> some address that I am not sure what to make off. Is
> this before the MMU has been turned on? Also, it looks
> like my BDI is not showing the "Debug entry cause"
> correctly.

Could you send more of the boot-log ?  And what board is this exactly on
what kernel?  Thanks.

--

@ 2004-10-11 18:52     ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2004-10-11 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Oct 11, 2004, at 1:33 PM, annamaya wrote:

> I will try the zImage trick

It's not a trick nor magic :-)  It's required for use
with these boards because......

> ...but I just wanted to know
> if the assumption here is that the kernel already
> understands the EEPROM data format to construct
> bd_info. Is that correct?

....the kernel does not understand anything about
the EEPROM format on this board.  This is the
reason this "front end" bootloader was created.
The standard interface to the kernel is the
board descriptor, the board specific data in
the EEPROM or elsewhere is usually quite
varied and isn't appropriate to have in the
kernel when it can be easily represented in
a standard manner.

Thanks.

	-- Dan

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-11 18:55     ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2004-10-11 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Oct 11, 2004, at 1:50 PM, annamaya wrote:

> I loaded a zImage into address 0x100000 in RAM and
> verified that this was indeed an ELF file. I then said
> "go 0x100040" which would start executing the code
> after skipping the 64 bytes of ELF header. But this is
> what I see happen.

Two problem.  First, that address for loading is too
low.  You need to load at or above 0x200000.  The
kernel lives where you loaded, so the uncompress
copied over your uncompressing code and image.

Second, the offset is 64K not 64.

You want to load at 0x200000 and 'go 0x210000'

	-- Dan

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-11 21:18           ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-11 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rini; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

I do not have any other logs when this happens since I
dont have any serial output when the failure happens.
I am trying to do this on a EP8280 eval board. Has
someone already included support for this board in the
Kernel? Thank you.

@ 2004-10-11 21:44             ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2004-10-11 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 02:18:59PM -0700, annamaya wrote:

> I do not have any other logs when this happens since I
> dont have any serial output when the failure happens.
> I am trying to do this on a EP8280 eval board. Has
> someone already included support for this board in the
> Kernel? Thank you.

Without knowing which kernel you're using, I can't say for certain, but
would assume it should work.  When you type 'go 0x210000' after loading
the kernel, you get nothing?

--

@ 2004-10-11 22:52               ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-11 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rini; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

I am using the Linux Kernel 2.4.24-pre2. I included
support for this board and created an embed_config()
routine to pass in the correct board information. I am
now able to see the "relocation" messages by zImage
and it now halts with the message "Now booting the
kernel". I see that it is now hung in some delay
routine which was called from a panic routine. I am
working on trying to figure this out.

>go 210000

loaded at:     00210000 002D426C
relocated to:  00400000 004C426C
board data at: 004C1130 004C115C
relocated to:  004052D8 00405304
zimage at:     00405810 004C0CC4
avail ram:     004C5000 10000000

Linux/PPC load: root=/dev/nfs rw ip=on
Uncompressing Linux...done.
Now booting the kernel

@ 2004-10-16  0:16                           ` Sam Song
From: Sam Song @ 2004-10-16  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya, Dan Malek, Wolfgang Denk; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

annamaya <annamaya@yahoo.com> wrote:
> lists. And yes, forgot to say hi to Wolfgang Denk,
> another one of my mentors. Hey Denk.

I also have the same feeling as you. :-)

So why not feed back your work to DENX? There is no
other appropriate public place to receive the 82xx and
8xx 2.4 patch, I am afraid.

BTW, I also have a patch against denx 2_4_devel on
RPXlite, I wonder whether it's acceptable to send the
patch to this list.

=====
Best regards,

Sam

150万曲MP3疯狂搜,带您闯入音乐殿堂
http://music.yisou.com/
美女明星应有尽有,搜遍美图、艳图和酷图
http://image.yisou.com
1G就是1000兆,雅虎电邮自助扩容!
http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/1g/*http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/event/mail_1g/

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-14 20:54                           ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2004-10-14 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

In message <20041014181059.21986.qmail@web53803.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:
> Thanks again. I am glad to be back on the mailing
> lists. And yes, forgot to say hi to Wolfgang Denk,
> another one of my mentors. Hey Denk.

Hello!

> And what's the story on lists.linuxppc.org. Will they
> ever retrieve the archives?

I sent all my archives (back to 5  Dec  1998)  to  the  current  list
maintainer to set up a new archive. Nothing happened since.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
Every little picofarad has a nanohenry all its own.      - Don Vonada

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-14 18:10                         ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-14 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2004-10-14 16:45                       ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2004-10-14 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2004-10-14 15:53                     ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-14 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

I cant believe I was stupid enough to beleive that the
user's manual of an eval board was giving me the
correct information.

The problem turned out to be that the FCC controllers
were not assigned to the ports that the manual stated.
They were switched. I was configuring the wrong FCC
controllers. Doh!

By manually looking at the FCC registers during tftp
transfers from the bootloader, I was able to figure
out that the controller in use for the port was
different from the one that the manual was telling me.

I appreciate all the help that I got in solving my
weird problems. Special thanks to Dan. I think I am
almost done supporting the EP8280 in the Linux Kernel
from denx.

--- Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2004, at 5:23 PM, annamaya wrote:
>
> > I verified that the TX and RX clock signals are
> > correct and the CMXFCR route register is
> programmed
> > correctly for FCC2. I still see TX timeout errors.
> > am stumped. :-(
>
> Do you have the FCC MAC set up properly for
> full or half duplex?  If you don't have MDIO
> working,
> you are going to have to force this to the proper
> setting for your switch.  I mentioned this in a
>
> If that doesn't work, take a look at the CPM
> memory map and ensure the "special" FCC
> area is mapped properly.  I don't remember
> if the 8280 has the "big" CPM like the 8260,
> or the small one like the 8272.  There is
> a configuration option that moves this memory
> address for the FCC fifos and special buffers.
>

> 	-- Dan

http://vote.yahoo.com

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-13 22:47                   ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2004-10-13 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2004-10-13 21:23                 ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-13 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

I verified that the TX and RX clock signals are
correct and the CMXFCR route register is programmed
correctly for FCC2. I still see TX timeout errors. I
am stumped. :-(

--- Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2004, at 3:21 PM, annamaya wrote:
>
> > I looked at the driver again and it looks like the
> TX
> > and RX clock signals are board specific. I will
> also
> > have to program the CMXFCR clock route register
> with
> > the appropriate clocks. Am I on the right track
> here?
>
> Yep. :-)
>

> 	-- Dan

http://messenger.yahoo.com

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-13 21:19               ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2004-10-13 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2004-10-13 19:21             ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-13 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya, Dan Malek; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2004-10-13 18:06           ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-13 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

I was able to use the same driver on a PQ2-FADS board
with an MPC8275 processor. Are you telling me that
some of these pins are board specific? Thanks for your
help.

--- Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2004, at 10:49 AM, annamaya wrote:
>
> > ..... But my driver doesn't work and complains
> > about a TX timeout. I am sure I am missing
> something.
> > Can you suggest something that I could try?
>
> You are going to have to track down the clock and
> control signals for the FCC and make sure they are
> still connected the same way as the 8260.  Sounds
> like they aren't.  There are #defines at the top of
> the
> driver file that map the GPIO pins to the FCC
> signals.
>

> 	-- Dan

http://vote.yahoo.com

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-13 16:07         ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2004-10-13 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2004-10-13 14:49       ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-13 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

Thanks for the reply Dan. Just before I got your mail,
I was going through the fcc ethernet driver from
mvista and I noticed the BCSR hack code to make the
PHY work on an EP8260. I went back to the manual for
the EP8280 and realized that they did something
similar on this board, just as you guessed. I will add
code to manage the PHY using these bits later.

Meanwhile, this board also has BCSR bits to control
enabling and powering on the PHY. I was able to add a
bit of code to  my ethernet driver and I can now see
the blinking lights on the ethernet port, similar to
the ones I see during tftp transfers from the boot
monitors. Interestingly, the boot monitor turns off
all the PHYs while the ethernet port is not being
access from the boot monitor. I fail to understand the
reasoning.

Anyways, I am able to enable and power the PHY device
and it looks like the port is seeing ethernet
activity. But my driver doesn't work and complains
about a TX timeout. I am sure I am missing something.
Can you suggest something that I could try?

Thank you.
--- Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2004, at 5:02 PM, annamaya wrote:
>
> > I am now trying to do an NFS mount of the root
> file
> > system. Looks like the EP8280 uses LXT971A PHY
> device.
>
> I have one of their first 8260 boards that I used to
> do
> the initial Linux port long ago.  At that time, they
> had
> some weird CPLD implementation of MDIO that I could
> never get to work properly.  Not a bad idea, just
> didn't
> seem to be implemented properly.  I know they have
> done a second revision of this board, and I suspect
> the 8280 is just a glue into the same location
> design.
>
> With that board you should have received sufficient
> information to determine what to do, although they
> have always been quite secretive about releasing
> enough information to successfully write software.
>
> In the interim, just compile the driver without any
> MDIO control, hack the call to fcc_restart() at the
> end of init_fcc_startup() to just force half or full
> duplex (0 or 1) based upon the switch you are using.
>

> Good Luck.
>

> 	-- Dan

http://messenger.yahoo.com

* Re: Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader
@ 2004-10-12 21:26     ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2004-10-12 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: Sam Song, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2004-10-12 21:02   ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2004-10-12 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Song, Tom Rini; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1536 bytes --]

My problem had to do with the fact that I was not
sending my flash device information in the bd_info
structure and therefore, jffs2 was crapping out. Once
I turned include this info in bd_info, the kernel came
up just fine and started to boot.

I am now trying to do an NFS mount of the root file
system. Looks like the EP8280 uses LXT971A PHY device.
I see that support for this device already exists in
the driver. But I am not sure which GPIO lines are
being used for MII_MDIO and MII_MDCK. I am also not
sure about the PHY_INTERRUPT line. Does anyone have
this info? Thanks much.

       [not found] <20041012003339.B1EB92BDDA@ozlabs.org>
@ 2004-10-12  1:12 ` Sam Song
From: Sam Song @ 2004-10-12  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)