* Please help!  How to reconstitute array (drive order problem)?
@ 2004-10-27 10:51 David Wuertele
From: David Wuertele @ 2004-10-27 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

My 1.5TB SW RAID5 array is hosed because my motherboard stopped
recognizing drives on two of its controllers.  I have moved drives
around so that they are all recognized now, but the drive names have
all changed, and even though I've tried all combinations nothing seems
to work.  I have run out of troubleshooting tools.  Please help!

Here's what I had before the crash:

Motherboard IDE Controller bus 0:  One 250GB drive
Motherboard IDE Controller bus 1:  One 250GB drive
SIS IDE Controller 1 bus 0:        One 250GB drive
SIS IDE Controller 1 bus 1:        One 250GB drive
SIS IDE Controller 2 bus 0:        One 250GB drive
SIS IDE Controller 2 bus 1:        One 250GB drive
SIS IDE Controller 3 bus 0:        One 250GB drive
SIS IDE Controller 3 bus 1:        nothing

These drives came up something like hda, hdi, hdh, hdk, hdm, hdn, hdp,
but I don't know which physical drive got which name.  I had one 240GB
partition from each drive mapped to the RAID5 array md0 in
/etc/raidtab.

When the machine hanged, I found that the bios was not recognizing
both the SIS IDE Controller 1 drives and the SIS IDE Controller 3
drive.  These drives were hda, hdi, and hdk (I only know this because
they were inaccessible after linux booted).

So I moved the drives that were on SIS Controller 1 and 3 onto SIS
Controller 2 and the Motherboard controller.  I know that having two
drives on the same bus is a huge performance hit, but I just want my
data back!!!  On boot, all drives were recognized, but now their names
are different, so I figured all I need to do is edit /etc/raidtab to
reflect the new drive names.  Is that right?

Anyway, using fdisk I discovered that the drives' new names were hde,
hdg, and hdo.  Since I didn't know what physical drive had what
logical name before or after the switch, I tried all six combinations.
For example, the first thing I tried was to do the following in
/etc/raditab:

s/hda/hdo/
s/hdi/hde/
s/hdk/hdg/

I saved raidtab, and rebooted, but the array was not recognized by the
kernel and so I repeated the swap with all six possible combinations.
None of them worked.

Now I'm out of ideas.  How can I reconstruct my raid array?  This data
is very important to me, so any help you might have would be highly
appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave

* Re: Please help!  How to reconstitute array (drive order problem)?
@ 2004-10-27 12:09   ` David Wuertele
From: David Wuertele @ 2004-10-27 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Guy> Use mdadm to start your array.
Guy> Details: "man mdadm"
Guy> You may need to install mdadm.

Wow, looks like mdadm is a lifesaver.  After reading the man page, it
looks like I should run

    mdadm --assemble --scan /dev/md0 --auto=yes

Will this find all seven of the component partitions that make up the
md0 RAID5?  Or do I have to list those partitions in the config file?

From the man page: "The identity can be given with the --uuid option,
  with the --super- minor option, can be found in the config file, or
  will be taken from the super block on the first component-device
  listed on the command line."

What is an "identity" or a "uuid"?  Does that mean "/dev/md0"?

@ 2004-10-27 18:31 ` Guy
From: Guy @ 2004-10-27 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'David Wuertele', linux-raid

Use mdadm to start your array.

Details: "man mdadm"

You may need to install mdadm.

Guy

[...]

-

* Re: Please help!  How to reconstitute array (drive order problem)?
@ 2004-10-27 18:54 ` Jim Paris
From: Jim Paris @ 2004-10-27 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Wuertele; +Cc: linux-raid

> These drives came up something like hda, hdi, hdh, hdk, hdm, hdn, hdp,
..
> drive.  These drives were hda, hdi, and hdk (I only know this because
..
> the drives' new names were hde, hdg, and hdo.

So your drives are now hde, hdg, hdo, hdh, hdm, hdn, hdp.  Something like
  mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 hd[egohmnp]
should do the trick.

--

BTW, speaking of mdadm, with no config file, the commands
  mdadm --assemble /dev/md0

-jim

* RE: Please help!  How to reconstitute array (drive order problem)?
@ 2004-10-27 19:51     ` Guy
From: Guy @ 2004-10-27 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'David Wuertele', linux-raid

Glad you read the man page.  Most people seem too lazy to learn something.

I like mdadm, so I would create the config file.

Jim gave away the answer!
Or you could do as Jim Paris said:
"So your drives are now hde, hdg, hdo, hdh, hdm, hdn, hdp.  Something like
  mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 hd[egohmnp]
should do the trick."

Ha!  Maybe Jim did a typo!  Try this:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/hd[egohmnp]
Just make sure you list the current/correct devices.
If they were partitioned, be sure to use the partitions!
If each disk had 1 partition, this would be the correct command:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/hd[egohmnp]1

The "--auto" is new to me.  I have an old version.

The UUID is a unique ID.  Every disk that makes up the array will have the
same ID.

"--scan" requires a config file.

Guy