* Re: possible GPL violation by Free
@ 2004-11-01 21:33 Pierre
From: Pierre @ 2004-11-01 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> When they built the first freebox, I found an inside photo on the net.
> I don't remember which chip it was (several years ago), but it was
> clear
> from the maker that it only supported vxworks. And at this time,
> people
> were already saying it was running linux. There are so many rumors
> about
> many devices running linux that people should check (at least provide
> the
> result of an nmap -O). For most end-users, "linux" is the word for "a
> reliable embedded OS with IP support".

It is certain that the freebox run linux on mips processor [0] :
see the cv of the developper of the freebox [1] [2]
They seem to have done minor contribution [3]

It seem [4] that linux is writen on a flash memory of the freebox with the
firmware of the ADSL modem (if it wasn't how the freebox could connect
throught ADSL for download root and new firmware).

Also it is said that  if you forgot to give
back to them you paid about 300 ??? and it is yours.

I don't know if there is a real GPL violation, but knowing the free support
it will be very difficult to communicate with them...

[0] http://www.idt.com/news/Feb03/02_24_03_1.html
[1] http://alex.krnl.org
[2] http://www.figuiere.net/hub/cv.html
[3] http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc-cvs/2003-January/003068.html
[4] http://www.hifocus.net/freebox3.php3

Deux elements logiciels sont stockees en memoire flash : le noyau linux
et le firmware du chipset Alcatel pour la connexion WAN. Le reste de la
configuration (filtres, logiciels, drivers...) est telecharge a chaque
demarrage et stocke en memoire vive.

* Re: possible GPL violation by Free
@ 2004-10-11 19:39 Glennie Vignarajah
From: Glennie Vignarajah @ 2004-10-11 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Helge Hafting a écrit:

> Perhaps customers can demand to _rent_ the source code too then?

 After few discussions on proad.free.adsl and on linuxfr.org
(http://linuxfr.org/~superzen/15187.html), it seems that Free
_lends_ the Freebox (at no charge) while people use their Internet
Access. When one stops his Internet Access abonnement, he has sent
it back.
 Moreover, Freebox boots (each power cycle) over the network and
downloads the OS (which seems to Linux and it's not resident). The
bootstrap code used to boot over network is from Broadcom (for V4
model). So even if you can buy it, you just have a box without any
OS inside.
--
Glennie
"Personne ne survit au fait d'être estimé au-dessus de sa valeur."

* Re: possible GPL violation by Free
@ 2004-10-11  7:12 Matthieu Castet
From: Matthieu Castet @ 2004-10-11  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 12:28 +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > (at least provide the
> > result of an nmap -O). For most end-users, "linux" is the word for "a
> > reliable embedded OS with IP support".
>
> Here it is, on a Freebox v1 (the Freebox distributed now is version 3,
> but version 1 was still distributed less than one year ago (i.e. under
> the 3 years limit in the GPL)).
> Disclaimer: this scan output should be taken carefully. Please do not
> jump to conclusions.
> (IP and MAC hidden)

Are you sure you don't scan your computer : the freebox v1 don't have
router mode and act like a bridge.
It seem suspicious that all the port are closed instead of filtered.

On the freebox v3 it is difficult to use nmap for guessing the os : in
router mode all the port are filtered except those you forward to your
computer.

Matthieu

* possible GPL violation by Free
@ 2004-10-09 17:58 Yoshinori K. Okuji
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Yoshinori K. Okuji @ 2004-10-09 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, videolan

Hello,

I got information about a possible GPL violation in France. A network
service company called "Free" provides a kind of ADSL modem named
"Freebox". This "Freebox" is not only an ADSL modem but also has
functions of a router, an IP phone and a TV, using video streaming via
ATM. Although the "Freebox" does not contain any information about GPL,
a rumor says that this runs Linux as the kernel and VideoLAN for the
video streaming. And, this company does not provide the source code
even to those who have Freeboxes. I don't know any other software used
in Freebox, but at least Linux and VideoLAN are under the term of GPL.
This information seems to be given by anonymous people working for the
company.

The company Free reasons that they don't need to make the source code
available, because they don't sell Freebox but merely _rents_ Freebox
to customers. So the company thinks that customers do not own Freebox
legally, and so they have no right to claim that they can ask the
source code.

But, if this is a good reason, I think many other people can refuse to
publish source code. For example, a distributor who "rents" CDROMs can
say, "I am not forced to give you the source code, because you do not
own your CDROM."

Unfortunately I have little knowledge on French copyright laws, so I
cannot judge if this is wrong.

Regards,
Okuji