* Hotplug USB ethernet devices
@ 2004-11-10  0:51 Shawn Rutledge
From: Shawn Rutledge @ 2004-11-10  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On my Gentoo systems /etc/hotplug/usb.agent is called when a USB gadget
ethernet-emulation device (such as a Zaurus, a Linux smartphone or a
Gumstix) is attached.  Then the usb0 network interface appears, and
/etc/hotplug/net.agent is called.  The thing is, different devices have
different means to get an address; the Zaurus is hard-coded, but the
Gumstix does a DHCP query.  For the Zaurus, I want the host machine's
USB address for usb0 to become 192.168.129.200, and for other devices
it should be different.  So what I need is a way for either the
net.agent, or the /etc/init.d/net.usb0 which is called afterwards, to
get the USB identification information and make a choice accordingly
which address to use (and in the case of devices which want to do DHCP,
to restart the DHCP server because it doesn't notice the appearance of
usb0 and isn't listening until I restart it).  I see that the vendor
and product variables aren't passed through this far.  Is there a way
to get this info?

==. _______  Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)    http://ecloud.org/  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-11-10  0:51 UTC | newest]