* setting boolean values
@ 2004-12-17  1:36 Greg Norris
From: Greg Norris @ 2004-12-17  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SELinux

Stupid question... which component is responsible for setting the
initial value for booleans during system startup?  I'm guessing this
would be init's job, but am not absolutely certain.  I'm trying to
determine why they aren't being set properly on my Debian system...
hopefully it's not something embarrassingly stupid (nah, that NEVER
happens! ;-).

My /etc/selinux/config contains the following:

   # used by init
   SELINUX=enforcing
   # Debian does not support using a config file to switch between policies
   SELINUXTYPE=.

My /etc/selinux/booleans contains:

   spamassasin_can_network=1

Any thoughts?

* Re: setting boolean values
@ 2004-12-17 13:47 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2004-12-17 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Norris; +Cc: SELinux

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 20:36, Greg Norris wrote:
> Stupid question... which component is responsible for setting the
> initial value for booleans during system startup?  I'm guessing this
> would be init's job, but am not absolutely certain.  I'm trying to
> determine why they aren't being set properly on my Debian system...
> hopefully it's not something embarrassingly stupid (nah, that NEVER
> happens! ;-).

Yes, the current patch for /sbin/init calls sepol_genbools() to rewrite
the boolean initial values in the binary policy based on your booleans
config file prior to calling security_load_policy().  That was
introduced during FC3 development, so the Debian patch for init might
not be up-to-date.  BTW, Fedora Core now has a public CVS repository, so
people who want to track the SELinux-related patches there can do so
much more easily.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency