* samba or nfs?
@ 2004-12-16 11:14 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2004-12-16 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Hi,
in my factory we are sharing resources (files) among different linux servers,
even located in another site (i.e., using an adsl connection). Which do you
believe is the better sharing protocol (NFS/SAMBA) to mount server resources?
Actually we are using samba, due also to the fact that the line speed was not
very high and NFS seemed to have a few problem with the speed. Now that the
speed is higher, but the line has a few moment of freeze, samba seems to be
inadequate. Any opinion?

Thanks,
Luca
--
Luca Ferrari,
fluca1978@katamail.com

* Re: samba or nfs?
@ 2004-12-16 12:20 ` Martin Klier
From: Martin Klier @ 2004-12-16 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: linux-admin

Hi Luca,

Luca Ferrari:
> Hi,
> in my factory we are sharing resources (files) among different linux
> servers, even located in another site (i.e., using an adsl connection).
> Which do you believe is the better sharing protocol (NFS/SAMBA) to mount
> server resources? Actually we are using samba, due also to the fact that
> the line speed was not very high and NFS seemed to have a few problem with
> the speed. Now that the speed is higher, but the line has a few moment of
> freeze, samba seems to be inadequate. Any opinion?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca
I'd always prefer NFS due to native support of Linux and the little config
effort. But NFS might be critical in case of security issues, it has no
valuable security features.

But before you posted your query, I'd have always said that SAMBA is the
slower option. How did you recognize the NFS problems? Just for interest...

Have fun,

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Klier
PC-Benutzerunterstützung / Linux-Server
Asset Management

A.T.U - Auto-Teile-Unger
Dr.-Kilian-Straße 11
92637 Weiden

Telefon:  (0961) 306-5663
Telefax:  (0961) 306-9345663

Internet: www.atu.de

[-- Attachment #2: signature --]

* Re: samba or nfs?
@ 2004-12-17  8:42 ` urgrue
From: urgrue @ 2004-12-17  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: admin

i use samba. it may have more overhead and be a bit more annoying to
set up, but NFS has been quite troublesome for me, particularly when
the connection speeds were slowish or unstable. quite often i'd have
these dead mounts that couldnt be unmounted by any means and only a
reboot would help.
samba isnt exactly great either, but at least it seems to deal with
network irregularities better.
openafs is a third option that people have recommended to me, which i
have not yet tried.