* [U-Boot-Users] Updating u-boot environment
@ 2005-01-25 18:44 Muhammad Yahya
From: Muhammad Yahya @ 2005-01-25 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I need to write a program or shell script that can update u-boot
environment (e.g. MAC address).
Any pointers in how this may be done ?

Thanks!

* [U-Boot-Users] Updating u-boot environment
@ 2005-01-25 20:58 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2005-01-25 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <41F69395.3070003@sun.com> you wrote:
> I need to write a program or shell script that can update u-boot
environment (e.g. MAC address).
> Any pointers in how this may be done ?

A program or shell script  in  U-Boot?  No  program  needed,  as  the
"setenv"  command  is a builtin. Youc an put calls to the "setenv" or
"askenv" in a text file (= shell script), use the  mkimage  tool  (-T
script)  to  make script image from it,. load it and run it using the
"autoscr" command.

Under Linux, you can use the fw_setenv tool provided in tools/env/

Note that ithe MAC address is normally  write  protected,  i.  e.  it
cannot be changed once set. This is *intentional*.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Send lawyers, guns and money..."  - Lyrics from a Warren Zevon song

* [U-Boot-Users] Updating u-boot environment
@ 2005-01-25 23:18   ` Muhammad Yahya
From: Muhammad Yahya @ 2005-01-25 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>In message <41F69395.3070003@sun.com> you wrote:
>

>>I need to write a program or shell script that can update u-boot
>>

>environment (e.g. MAC address).
>

>>Any pointers in how this may be done ?
>>

>A program or shell script  in  U-Boot?  No  program  needed,  as  the
>"setenv"  command  is a builtin. Youc an put calls to the "setenv" or
>"askenv" in a text file (= shell script), use the  mkimage  tool  (-T
>script)  to  make script image from it,. load it and run it using the
>"autoscr" command.
>
>Under Linux, you can use the fw_setenv tool provided in tools/env/
>
>Note that ithe MAC address is normally  write  protected,  i.  e.  it
>cannot be changed once set. This is *intentional*.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Wolfgang Denk

Thank you for your response. I need to provide an interface to the folks
at our manufacturing facility so that they can enter the MAC address for
the MPC embedded controller and I can write it to the u-boot
enviroment.  Is is possible to write a "script" that can take user input
and then write the MAC address ? I cannot seem to find a u-boot command
that can take input from the user.

Thanks!
Muhammad

* [U-Boot-Users] Updating u-boot environment
@ 2005-01-26  9:38     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2005-01-26  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <41F6D3AA.3070800@sun.com> you wrote:

> Thank you for your response. I need to provide an interface to the folks
> at our manufacturing facility so that they can enter the MAC address for
> the MPC embedded controller and I can write it to the u-boot

U-Boot has such an interface builtin. It is the "setenv" command.  It
is  trivial  to write script (for example using "expect") to automate
such command sequences.

And I already mentioned several other potential solutions for such  a
task.

Did you read my previous message? I wrote:

> "setenv"  command  is a builtin. Youc an put calls to the "setenv" or
> "askenv" in a text file (= shell script), use the  mkimage  tool  (-T

Did you look up what the "setenv" and "askenv" are doing?  Especially
"askenv"??

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"An open mind has but one disadvantage: it collects dirt."
                                                    - a saying at RPI

* [U-Boot-Users] Updating u-boot environment
@ 2005-01-26 17:35       ` Muhammad Yahya
From: Muhammad Yahya @ 2005-01-26 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>In message <41F6D3AA.3070800@sun.com> you wrote:
>

>>Thank you for your response. I need to provide an interface to the folks
>>at our manufacturing facility so that they can enter the MAC address for
>>the MPC embedded controller and I can write it to the u-boot
>>

>U-Boot has such an interface builtin. It is the "setenv" command.  It
>is  trivial  to write script (for example using "expect") to automate
>such command sequences.
>
>And I already mentioned several other potential solutions for such  a
>task.
>

>>enviroment.  Is is possible to write a "script" that can take user input
>>and then write the MAC address ? I cannot seem to find a u-boot command
>>that can take input from the user.
>>

>Did you read my previous message? I wrote:
>

>>"setenv"  command  is a builtin. Youc an put calls to the "setenv" or
>>"askenv" in a text file (= shell script), use the  mkimage  tool  (-T
>>

>Did you look up what the "setenv" and "askenv" are doing?  Especially
>"askenv"??

Unfrotunately, I cannot find askenv in the u-boot version I am using;
that is why I was asking if there is analternative  to get input from user.

@ 2005-01-26 21:13         ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2005-01-26 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <41F7D4DB.6070401@sun.com> you wrote:

> Unfrotunately, I cannot find askenv in the u-boot version I am using;
> that is why I was asking if there is analternative  to get input from user.

Add it to your board config file,  recompile,  and  install  the  new
image. What exactly is the problem?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
An optimist believes we live in the best world possible; a  pessimist
fears this is true.