* Failure to mount from multiple servers in a short period of time
@ 2005-01-31  4:24 Stuart Anderson
From: Stuart Anderson @ 2005-01-31  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

On a dual-Xeon 4GB server running FC3 I am unable to successfully
issue more than 52 automount requests to unique Linux NFS servers
in less than a minute.

After 52 mounts I get the following error. This is reproducible.

Jan 30 10:40:22 beowulf automount[22882]: >> nfs bindresvport: Address
already in use
Jan 30 10:40:22 beowulf automount[22882]: mount(nfs): nfs: mount
failure node54:/usr1 on /data/node54
Jan 30 10:40:22 beowulf automount[22882]: failed to mount /data/node54

After waiting ~1 minute I am able to mount another 52 filesystems
before the getting the same error again.

This limitation is breaking an application on a large Beowulf cluster
that cross-mounts data between 290 GigE attached nodes. I have also
reproduced this problem with a script that explicitly calls
/bin/mount rather than relying on automount.

I tried upgrading to autofs-4.1.4_beta1 to rule out any broken RedHat patches
but that did not help.

This problem does not occur on a RedHat 9 or Solaris 9 client machine.

Any ideas on how to increase the allowed rate of mounts?

Thanks.

* Re: Failure to mount from multiple servers in a short period of time
@ 2005-01-31 12:16 ` Steve Dickson
From: Steve Dickson @ 2005-01-31 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuart Anderson; +Cc: nfs

Stuart Anderson wrote:

>On a dual-Xeon 4GB server running FC3 I am unable to successfully
>issue more than 52 automount requests to unique Linux NFS servers
>in less than a minute.

Yes is this is a know problem that we run out of reserve ports due to the
fact so many are used up during TCP mounts.... We are looking into
this issue.... and hope to a resolution soon.... its Bugzilla 141773 for
those who are interested....

steved.