* New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller
@ 2005-01-29 19:02 Rich Townsend
       [not found] ` <41FBDDE2.1050403-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
From: Rich Townsend @ 2005-01-29 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Dear All,

I've been quiet with recent updates on my Smart Battery driver, because
I've been digging deeper into how smart batteries are dealt with in a
variety of systems. What I've found is this: at the most basic level,
there are three ways of dealing with smart batteries (or for that
matter, any SMBus-based device) that are run by an ACPI-aware embedded
controller (EC):

1) Direct fiddling with the SMBus registers that make up part of the EC
address space. This is what Bruno Ducrot's i2c-acpi-ec module was for:
it exposed kernel-space functions to allow one to perform the required
fiddling. My acpi-sbs module then used these functions to examine the
status of the smart battery.

2) The use of an SMBus operating region, which makes each SMBus device
(i.e., battery, charger, selector, system manager) look like a set of
registers that can be read from or written to. Although quite elegant,
this approach requires a corresponding address space driver to be
implemented in the operating system (unlike approach 1 above).
Unfortunately, no such implementation currently exists for Linux.

3) The use of ACPI methods, as specified by the SMBus Control Method
Interface specification. These present a unified, consistent interface
to the SMBus, but internally may rely on a variety of approaches (such
as 1 above) to do the actual hardware control. This SMBus-CMI approach
can be used with non-EC SMBus segments as well.

In most smart battery systems, these details are hidden from the
operating system, since the DSDT contains device definitions (BAT0,
BAT1, BAT2 etc) that make the smart battery appear -- to the OS -- like
a traditional Control Method (CM) battery. Laptop manufacturers that
I've seen do this include Compaq, Gateway & Sony. HOWEVER, some
manufacturers  -- Acer in particular -- have not included the CM code in
their DSDT, preferring to rely instead on a set of software-based tools
to examine the battery status (most likely, via approach 1 above). And,
of course, these tools are Windows specific.

This is where my new DSDT stuff comes in: I have written the necessary
DSDT code to add CM definitions for smart-battery based systems. I've
tried to make this code as platform-independent as possible, by
accessing the SMBus where possible via approach 3 (the uniform SMBus
Control Method Interface), but there is still a certain degree of
platform dependence to the code.

So it looks like the best way to move forward at the moment is:

1) Get a copy of your DSDT
2) Send it to me, with the *full* make/model of your machine
3) I'll add in the CM definitions to your DSDT
4) I'll post the modified DSDT on my website.
5) Download the modified DSDT, and install it following the instructions
at http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122145 (see section 9;
although in Gentoo forums, these instructions should work on most systems).

Eventually, the modified DSDTs can be put back into the ACPI4Linux
database; but I'm more interested at the moment in ironing out any
glitches in the code.

To get the ball rolling, I have on my website the two modified DSDTs:

Acer TravelMate 4502lmi:
http://shayol.bartol.udel.edu/~rhdt/download/tm4502lmi-sbs-cm.aml
(this is my own 1.6GHz Centrino machine, I've confirmed this works)

Acer TravelMate 4001wlmi:
http://shayol.bartol.udel.edu/~rhdt/download/tm4001wlmi-sbs-cm.aml
(this is based on the *fixed* DSDT posted on Johan Vromans' web page,
for his 1.5Ghz Centrino machine; I've not been able to test it, but I
expect it to work).

These of course can be converted into source code using an AML
disassembler, but if you want to see the code that these DSDTs were
compiled from (including lots of comments on the new CM code), just
change the extension from .aml to .asl in the URL.

I look forward to DSDTs and bug reports!

cheers,

Rich

* Re: New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller
       [not found] ` <41FBDDE2.1050403-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-01-29 22:41   ` Johan Vromans
       [not found]     ` <m27jlvx3i3.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-01-29 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Acer TravelMate 4001wlmi:
> http://shayol.bartol.udel.edu/~rhdt/download/tm4001wlmi-sbs-cm.aml
> (this is based on the *fixed* DSDT posted on Johan Vromans' web page,
> for his 1.5Ghz Centrino machine; I've not been able to test it, but I
> expect it to work).

As far as I can see, works like a charm.
Compiling the DSDT gives a couple of warnings, but these seem harmless.
For an unknown reason I can't currently access the i2c devices, so I
cannot compare the output of both methods.

Good job, Richard!

-- Johan

* Re: Re: New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller
       [not found]     ` <m27jlvx3i3.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-01-29 23:45       ` Rich Townsend
       [not found]         ` <41FC2022.2080804-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
From: Rich Townsend @ 2005-01-29 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Johan Vromans wrote:
> Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>

>>Acer TravelMate 4001wlmi:
>>http://shayol.bartol.udel.edu/~rhdt/download/tm4001wlmi-sbs-cm.aml
>>(this is based on the *fixed* DSDT posted on Johan Vromans' web page,
>>for his 1.5Ghz Centrino machine; I've not been able to test it, but I
>>expect it to work).
>

> As far as I can see, works like a charm.
> Compiling the DSDT gives a couple of warnings, but these seem harmless.
> For an unknown reason I can't currently access the i2c devices, so I
> cannot compare the output of both methods.

The warnings are nothing to worry about; the methods defined by the
SMBus Control Method Interface have reserved names, in that they begin
with underscores, and that causes the compiler to whine a little.

The i2c device stuff doesn't work simultaneously because the original
SMBus controller section in the DSDT has been commented out. I figured
that there wouldn't be much use for it, but you can try uncommenting it
in the source code and recompiling. Look for the device named "SMBS".

> Good job, Richard!

Glad it works! I'm still trying to get the alarm polling working
properly, this looks on the whole to be a good solution.

@ 2005-01-30  9:17           ` Johan Vromans
       [not found]             ` <m2mzur6zt6.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-01-30  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> The i2c device stuff doesn't work simultaneously because the original
> SMBus controller section in the DSDT has been commented out.

Okay, fixed. Everythng seems to be up an running, and both the new
batery (hmm, am I experiencing character loss here, or is it my
typing?) status and the i2c method give consistent results. Again,
good work!

While we're at it -- did you manage to control the fans? I can read
the status, and write to it, but I do not hear a difference.

@ 2005-01-30 13:38               ` Rich Townsend
       [not found]                 ` <41FCE348.3010304-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
From: Rich Townsend @ 2005-01-30 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Johan Vromans wrote:
> Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>

>>The i2c device stuff doesn't work simultaneously because the original
>>SMBus controller section in the DSDT has been commented out.
>

> Okay, fixed. Everythng seems to be up an running, and both the new
> batery (hmm, am I experiencing character loss here, or is it my
> typing?) status and the i2c method give consistent results. Again,
> good work!

You probably *are* experiencing character loss. I still haven't fixed
the problem that low-level EC access can sometimes lead to lost
interrupts. I've tried to mitigate the problem by putting a 1ms sleep
after each access, but that isn't perfect.

However, I'm glad you're getting consistent results with the i2c method.

> While we're at it -- did you manage to control the fans? I can read
> the status, and write to it, but I do not hear a difference.

Nah, but I'll have a dig around.

BTW, a warning for those with Smart Batteries (or, for that mattery, any
LiIon battery): you can damage your battery by running it all the way to
empty. I kind of knew about this already, from stuff I'd read on the
internet; but I got a nasty reminder last night. I ran my battery to
empty, to see which smart battery alarms went off (disappointing; there
were no alarms triggered, and only a single warning flag was set ~5 secs
before empty). Unfortunately, this procedure led to the loss of ~3% of
my battery capacity.

Maybe when I get the in-the-works SourceForge project going, I'll set up
a PayPal donation fund for a new battery :).

cheers,

Rich

PS Overnight, I got a number of new DSDTs from various people; I'll be
fixing these today and posting them on the website.

@ 2005-01-30 14:31                   ` Karol Kozimor
From: Karol Kozimor @ 2005-01-30 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Townsend; +Cc: Johan Vromans, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Thus wrote Rich Townsend:
> internet; but I got a nasty reminder last night. I ran my battery to
> empty, to see which smart battery alarms went off (disappointing; there
> were no alarms triggered, and only a single warning flag was set ~5 secs
> before empty). Unfortunately, this procedure led to the loss of ~3% of
> my battery capacity.

While it's possible, it's very unlikely. More probably your fuel gauge just
recalibrated itself to compensate for the gradual capacity loss. While it's
true Li-Ion cells don't like to be completely discharged, it's hardly
possible to do so under normal conditions. The power requirements of a
typical notebook cause the current to be cut off before the cell voltage
drops below the dangerous level. That said, the capacity also degrades with
time, temperature and the number of charges, so any of these could be
involved.

Standard disclaimer: the above is not meant to be authoritative.

Best regards,

--
Karol 'sziwan' Kozimor
sziwan-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org

* Re: New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller
       [not found] ` <41FBDDE2.1050403-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-01-30 14:59   ` Matthew Garrett
                       ` (2 more replies)
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2005-01-30 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 14:02 -0500, Rich Townsend wrote:

> Eventually, the modified DSDTs can be put back into the ACPI4Linux
> database; but I'm more interested at the moment in ironing out any
> glitches in the code.

While this is a neat hack, there's no real way that distributions are
ever going to adopt this approach - DSDTs are copyrighted by the
vendors, and without permission they're not going to be distributed by
the Linux vendors. The alternative approach of modifying the user's DSDT
on the fly is likely to be excessively fragile. The only reasonable
solution is to provide a mechanism to read the battery directly.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org

@ 2005-01-30 15:00                   ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2005-01-30 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 08:38 -0500, Rich Townsend wrote:

> BTW, a warning for those with Smart Batteries (or, for that mattery, any
> LiIon battery): you can damage your battery by running it all the way to
> empty. I kind of knew about this already, from stuff I'd read on the
> internet; but I got a nasty reminder last night. I ran my battery to
> empty, to see which smart battery alarms went off (disappointing; there
> were no alarms triggered, and only a single warning flag was set ~5 secs
> before empty). Unfortunately, this procedure led to the loss of ~3% of
> my battery capacity.

This is unlikely - the battery will prevent itself from being overly
discharged. However, LiIon batteries will lose some amount of capacity
over time anyway. What you're probably seeing is the battery
recalibrating itself (ie, you'd already lost 3% of capacity, and the
battery was just lying to you about how charged it was)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org

* Re: New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller
       [not found] ` <41FBDDE2.1050403-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-01-30 15:15   ` Pedro Venda
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Pedro Venda @ 2005-01-30 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Townsend; +Cc: Acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

* Re: New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller
@ 2005-01-30 15:31     ` Rich Townsend
From: Rich Townsend @ 2005-01-30 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett, Acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 14:02 -0500, Rich Townsend wrote:
>

>>Eventually, the modified DSDTs can be put back into the ACPI4Linux
>>database; but I'm more interested at the moment in ironing out any
>>glitches in the code.
>

> While this is a neat hack, there's no real way that distributions are
> ever going to adopt this approach - DSDTs are copyrighted by the
> vendors, and without permission they're not going to be distributed by
> the Linux vendors. The alternative approach of modifying the user's DSDT
> on the fly is likely to be excessively fragile. The only reasonable
> solution is to provide a mechanism to read the battery directly.

Yeah, this has occurred to me. I'm looking into cooking up some Perl, to
allow the users to modify their own DSDTs. Of course, this is never
going to be user friendly, and a long-term solution, as you say, is to
read the battery directly.

That's what my acpi-sbs module already does, but I'm reluctuant to spend
much time developing the module further, until some form of uniform
battery interface for the kernel is designed and implemented. Having two
seperate /proc/acpi interfaces, one for CM batteries and one for smart
batteries, is not the way to go.

@ 2005-01-30 19:40     ` Johan Vromans
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-01-30 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Matthew Garrett <mjg59-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org> writes:

> The alternative approach of modifying the user's DSDT on the fly is
> likely to be excessively fragile.

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the AML interpreter part of the
OS? In that case, it should be possible to have the additional DSDT
code inserted 'on the fly'.

-- Johan

* Re: New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller
       [not found] ` <41FBDDE2.1050403-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-01-31  9:50   ` Johan Vromans
       [not found]     ` <m24qgyorl3.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-01-31  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> 5) Download the modified DSDT, and install it following the
> instructions at http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122145 (see
> section 9; although in Gentoo forums, these instructions should work
> on most systems).

Although appending the DSDT to the initrd is a neat trick, wouldn't it
be better to have a kernel boot parameter, e.g. "dsdt_override=myDSDT.aml"?

@ 2005-01-31 10:02       ` David Goodenough
       [not found]         ` <200501311002.36671.david.goodenough-6b45v/Ft3lbby3iVrkZq2A@public.gmane.org>
From: David Goodenough @ 2005-01-31 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Monday 31 January 2005 09:50, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:
> > 5) Download the modified DSDT, and install it following the
> > instructions at http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122145 (see
> > section 9; although in Gentoo forums, these instructions should work
> > on most systems).
>
> Although appending the DSDT to the initrd is a neat trick, wouldn't it
> be better to have a kernel boot parameter, e.g. "dsdt_override=myDSDT.aml"?

This would be wonderful.  Do you know of a patch that implements this?

David

@ 2005-01-31 11:57       ` Rich Townsend
       [not found]         ` <41FE1D2D.8030006-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
From: Rich Townsend @ 2005-01-31 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans, Acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Johan Vromans wrote:
> Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>

>>5) Download the modified DSDT, and install it following the
>>instructions at http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122145 (see
>>section 9; although in Gentoo forums, these instructions should work
>>on most systems).
>

> Although appending the DSDT to the initrd is a neat trick, wouldn't it
> be better to have a kernel boot parameter, e.g. "dsdt_override=myDSDT.aml"?

One of the approaches mentioned in the Gentoo forums guide (section 9b,
IIRC), is almost equivalent to this: within grub, the extra line
"initrd=myDSDT.aml" is added beneath the kernel line. However, I agree
that it would be better if this could be done using a kernel parameter;
I think it is not too unreasonable to expect "normal" users to mess
around with kernel parameters.

My current thinking of the best way to incorporate the DSDT
modifications, is to do it via patches. This would avoid the clumsiness
of having a large on-line database of modified tables, and also
circumvent any copyright issues.

Thanks to all who have already sent me DSDTs to fix; I'll be publishing
patches to these tables Real Soon Now. At the moment, I'm
re-implementing the SMBus control method interface, to replace the
reference implementation taken from appendix B of the SMBus-CMI
specification.

@ 2005-01-31 12:16           ` Johan Vromans
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-01-31 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> One of the approaches mentioned in the Gentoo forums guide (section
> 9b, IIRC), is almost equivalent to this: within grub, the extra line
> "initrd=myDSDT.aml" is added beneath the kernel line.

AFAIK, this only designates the initrd to be used. The 'load DSDT from
initrd' patch uses this to read the DSDT, however, this only works if
you do not already have an initrd. In the latter case, the 'signature
trick' must be used to append the DSDT to the existing initrd.

-- Johan

       [not found]             ` <m2oef5oksl.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-01-31 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

David Goodenough <david.goodenough-6b45v/Ft3lbby3iVrkZq2A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> This would be wonderful.  Do you know of a patch that implements this?

No, but I'll take a look.

-- Johan

* Re: New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller
       [not found] ` <41FBDDE2.1050403-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-01-31 15:12   ` Bruno Ducrot
       [not found]     ` <20050131151235.GB1145-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bruno Ducrot @ 2005-01-31 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Townsend; +Cc: Acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 02:02:58PM -0500, Rich Townsend wrote:
> Dear All,

> To get the ball rolling, I have on my website the two modified DSDTs:
>
> Acer TravelMate 4502lmi:
> http://shayol.bartol.udel.edu/~rhdt/download/tm4502lmi-sbs-cm.aml
> (this is my own 1.6GHz Centrino machine, I've confirmed this works)
>
> Acer TravelMate 4001wlmi:
> http://shayol.bartol.udel.edu/~rhdt/download/tm4001wlmi-sbs-cm.aml
> (this is based on the *fixed* DSDT posted on Johan Vromans' web page,
> for his 1.5Ghz Centrino machine; I've not been able to test it, but I
> expect it to work).

You should provide at least diffs or else be prepared for rewrite some.
THere is those stuff in those ASLs:

ducrot@neptune:~/acpi_hack$ grep SystemMemo tm4502lmi-sbs-cm.asl
    OperationRegion (MNVS, SystemMemory, 0x1DEECE59, 0x60)
                OperationRegion (VNVS, SystemMemory, 0x1DEECEB9, 0x00010004)
                OperationRegion (SMI1, SystemMemory, 0x1DEFCEBD, 0x00000090)

That means that if someone owns a tm4502lmi, but different amount of
RAM, then all of those ORs will likely fail.

I don't see the point of making this if this is only for
smartbatt.  Do you have to override the DSDT for something else
(and then, well, why not)?

Cheers,

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.

@ 2005-01-31 15:39       ` Johan Vromans
       [not found]         ` <m2k6ptobfm.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-01-31 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Bruno Ducrot <ducrot-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> That means that if someone owns a tm4502lmi, but different amount of
> RAM, then all of those ORs will likely fail.

Interesting. So if I take my notebook to the dealer to add another
512Mb of RAM, they replace the DSDT as well?

@ 2005-01-31 15:44           ` Karol Kozimor
From: Karol Kozimor @ 2005-01-31 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Thus wrote Johan Vromans:
> Bruno Ducrot <ducrot-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > That means that if someone owns a tm4502lmi, but different amount of
> > RAM, then all of those ORs will likely fail.
>
> Interesting. So if I take my notebook to the dealer to add another
> 512Mb of RAM, they replace the DSDT as well?

No, the DSDT is usually auto-generated by BIOS.
Best regards,

--

@ 2005-01-31 15:52           ` Ville Syrjälä
From: Ville Syrjälä @ 2005-01-31 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 04:39:09PM +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Bruno Ducrot <ducrot-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > That means that if someone owns a tm4502lmi, but different amount of
> > RAM, then all of those ORs will likely fail.
>
> Interesting. So if I take my notebook to the dealer to add another
> 512Mb of RAM, they replace the DSDT as well?

No, the BIOS modifies the DSDT. This also happens for other stuff like
enabling and disabling intergrated peripherals from the BIOS. At least on
one of my laptops the BIOS renames some of the device's methods when the
device is disabled (_PRS -> B_PR, _DIS -> B_DI etc.)

--
Ville Syrjälä
syrjala-ORSVBvAovxo@public.gmane.org

@ 2005-01-31 15:59           ` Bruno Ducrot
       [not found]             ` <20050131155935.GD1145-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bruno Ducrot @ 2005-01-31 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 04:39:09PM +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Bruno Ducrot <ducrot-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > That means that if someone owns a tm4502lmi, but different amount of
> > RAM, then all of those ORs will likely fail.
>
> Interesting. So if I take my notebook to the dealer to add another
> 512Mb of RAM, they replace the DSDT as well?

Of course not.  Most, if not all, ACPI tables are generated at POST.

Cheers,

--

@ 2005-01-31 16:34       ` Rich Townsend
       [not found]         ` <41FE5E29.9020308-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
From: Rich Townsend @ 2005-01-31 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Ducrot; +Cc: Acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Bruno Ducrot wrote:

<snip>

> You should provide at least diffs or else be prepared for rewrite some.

Yep, I realized this once I had sent my original email. Also, diffs get
around the copyright issue of posting vendors' ASL on the web.

> THere is those stuff in those ASLs:
>
> ducrot@neptune:~/acpi_hack$ grep SystemMemo tm4502lmi-sbs-cm.asl
>     OperationRegion (MNVS, SystemMemory, 0x1DEECE59, 0x60)
>                 OperationRegion (VNVS, SystemMemory, 0x1DEECEB9, 0x00010004)
>                 OperationRegion (SMI1, SystemMemory, 0x1DEFCEBD, 0x00000090)
>
> That means that if someone owns a tm4502lmi, but different amount of
> RAM, then all of those ORs will likely fail.

I would be very surprised by this. If this were true, a simple RAM
upgrade would invalidate the DSDT --- certainly not the case. But as I
say, your point about diffs is well made.

> I don't see the point of making this if this is only for
> smartbatt.  Do you have to override the DSDT for something else
> (and then, well, why not)?

Maybe sometimes things are better done by fixing the DSDT, rather than
adding more bloat into the kernel. And I use the word 'fixing'
carefully; many modern laptops use smart batteries, but expose these
batteries to the OS via the tradition Control Method (CM) interface. In
that sence, Acer's DSDTs are broken, because they lack the necessary CM
wrapper for the smart battery system (SBS).

There's certainly a case to be made that smart batteries should be dealt
with natively in the kernel, since an SBS has many more data than a CM
interface can expose. However, there are a number of design questions
that need to be addressed before this issue can be tackled in a proper
manner (I consider my acpi-sbs module to be little more than a
proof-of-concept). In particular,

*) Others have pointed out that a unified kernel API for batteries &
power sources is required, to hide the messy CM vs. SBS details away.
What should this API do? Will it provide /proc entries? How will it keep
backward compatibility with all of those applications that look in
/proc/acpi/battery/*

*) How should we deal with systems that present a CM interface in their
DSDT, but are internally implemented using SBS? Should the DSDT
interface be bypassed, to expose the full SBS data?

*) With SBS being accessed via the SMBus, how do we deal with the
messyness of having ACPI-related code depend on I2C code? Should the
SMBus access be performed totally independent of the rest of the kernel
I2C framework?

Just some thoughts...

On a final note: yes, I know the DSDT hacking solution seems awful to
those who would rather do it all in the kernel. However, my viewpoint is
this: I had an itch to scratch. I have scratched it. Others can scratch
too. Don't sweat over the elegance of the scratching, it will all come
out OK in the end...

cheers,

Rich

PS To all who have sent me their DSDTs: thanks, I'll be releasing a set
of patches later on this week. Sit tight!

@ 2005-01-31 16:54           ` Bruno Ducrot
From: Bruno Ducrot @ 2005-01-31 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Townsend; +Cc: Acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:34:49AM -0500, Rich Townsend wrote:
> >I don't see the point of making this if this is only for
> >smartbatt.  Do you have to override the DSDT for something else
> >(and then, well, why not)?
>
> Maybe sometimes things are better done by fixing the DSDT, rather than
> adding more bloat into the kernel. And I use the word 'fixing'
> carefully; many modern laptops use smart batteries, but expose these
> batteries to the OS via the tradition Control Method (CM) interface. In
> that sence, Acer's DSDTs are broken, because they lack the necessary CM
> wrapper for the smart battery system (SBS).
>
> There's certainly a case to be made that smart batteries should be dealt
> with natively in the kernel, since an SBS has many more data than a CM
> interface can expose. However, there are a number of design questions
> that need to be addressed before this issue can be tackled in a proper
> manner (I consider my acpi-sbs module to be little more than a
> proof-of-concept). In particular,
>
> *) Others have pointed out that a unified kernel API for batteries &
> power sources is required, to hide the messy CM vs. SBS details away.
> What should this API do? Will it provide /proc entries? How will it keep
> backward compatibility with all of those applications that look in
> /proc/acpi/battery/*

This is part of long goal indeed.

> *) How should we deal with systems that present a CM interface in their
> DSDT, but are internally implemented using SBS? Should the DSDT
> interface be bypassed, to expose the full SBS data?

Yes and no.  The kernel really need only a few (especially gauge stuff).
The rest should be done in userspace IMHO.

> *) With SBS being accessed via the SMBus, how do we deal with the
> messyness of having ACPI-related code depend on I2C code? Should the
> SMBus access be performed totally independent of the rest of the kernel
> I2C framework?
>
> Just some thoughts...
>
> On a final note: yes, I know the DSDT hacking solution seems awful to
> those who would rather do it all in the kernel. However, my viewpoint is
> this: I had an itch to scratch. I have scratched it. Others can scratch
> too. Don't sweat over the elegance of the scratching, it will all come
> out OK in the end...

Just that I don't see why you don't want your own acpi-sbs stuff,
with some kind of compatibility with existing acpi/ac /proc interface.
Thats this exact point I don't see the light yet.  I don't have the
hardware to play with, btw.  Just... well, maybe I will see the light
soon.

Cheers,

--

@ 2005-01-31 17:28           ` Karol Kozimor
From: Karol Kozimor @ 2005-01-31 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Townsend; +Cc: Bruno Ducrot, Acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Thus wrote Rich Townsend:
> >That means that if someone owns a tm4502lmi, but different amount of
> >RAM, then all of those ORs will likely fail.
> I would be very surprised by this. If this were true, a simple RAM
> upgrade would invalidate the DSDT --- certainly not the case. But as I

And it's precisely so, though perhaps not in every possible case.
Best regards,

--

@ 2005-01-31 17:48               ` Johan Vromans
       [not found]                 ` <m2u0oxjxqe.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-01-31 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Bruno Ducrot <ducrot-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Most, if not all, ACPI tables are generated at POST.

Interesting. So this makes overriding the DSDT (using a compiled in
version, or the initrd method) a hazardous exercise?

@ 2005-01-31 18:30                   ` Bruno Ducrot
From: Bruno Ducrot @ 2005-01-31 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 06:48:41PM +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Bruno Ducrot <ducrot-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > Most, if not all, ACPI tables are generated at POST.
>
> Interesting. So this makes overriding the DSDT (using a compiled in
> version, or the initrd method) a hazardous exercise?

See for example
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=acpi4linux&m=103146429324320&w=4
and
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=acpi4linux&m=103184128003152&w=4

It's not exactly an hazardous exercise, but you may experience some
strange logs errors if you blindly override DSDT.

Cheers,

--

@ 2005-01-31 22:59     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2005-01-31 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f, aj-l3A5Bk7waGM

Hi!

> > Eventually, the modified DSDTs can be put back into the ACPI4Linux
> > database; but I'm more interested at the moment in ironing out any
> > glitches in the code.
>
> While this is a neat hack, there's no real way that distributions are
> ever going to adopt this approach - DSDTs are copyrighted by the
> vendors, and without permission they're not going to be distributed by
> the Linux vendors. The alternative approach of modifying the user's DSDT
> on the fly is likely to be excessively fragile. The only reasonable
> solution is to provide a mechanism to read the battery directly.

Actually, it is now time to call Acer saying "hey, Linux community
actually did the work for you; add this to your BIOS and your
batteries will start to work under Linux as control-method
batteries". It would help if you could release that DSDT part
under public domain; it is unlikely that Acer is going to put GPLed
part into their BIOS.
								Pavel

* sbs-linux: smart batteries on SourceForge (was New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller)
       [not found] ` <41FBDDE2.1050403-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-06  2:19   ` Rich Townsend
       [not found]     ` <42057EBE.5090102-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
From: Rich Townsend @ 2005-02-06  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi all --

I've finished the first cut of the DSDT hackery needed to get smart
battery systems (SBS) working like 'traditional' control method (CM)
batteries. This sounds like a kludge, but it's worth pointing out that
many modern laptops already use SBS batteries internally, but expose
them as CM batteries.

The new code can be downloaded from the new SourceForge project I've
established:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sbs-linux/

The package to download is SBS-CM-20050205. Basically, this package
provides patches against the DSDT (in source form, as decompiled using
the Intel compiler), that adds in the SBS-CM support. Full instructions
are provided in the accompanying README file.

The following systems are "supported":

  *) Acer Extensa 3002WLMi
  *) Acer TravelMate 4000LMi
  *) Acer TravelMate 4001LMi
  *) Acer TravelMate 4001WLMi
  *) Acer TravelMate 4002LMi
  *) Acer TravelMate 4502LMi
  *) Acer TravelMate 4502WLMi
  *) Acer Extensa 3202XCi

I'm currently working on the Acer Aspire 1692WLMi, which already
contains a broken SBS-CM implementation. The Acer TravelMate 382 and
Ferrari 3400 also already contain SBS-CM implementations, but I'm not
sure to what extent they work or not.

As well as the DSDT patches, I provide in the package my embedded
controller patch, that improves the EC responsiveness by switching from
spinlocks to semaphores. I've tried out the other patches mentioned
recently on this list, but they either don't work, or reduce EC access
rates to a crawl.

Note that battery events, including alarms, are properly handled; so you
should get notifications in /proc/acpi/event when something interesting
happens. In tandem with acpid, you can use these notifications to, e.g.,
shutdown your system when the battery gets low.

Bug reports, feature requests, etc, should be submitted using the
SourceForge project page -- not to the acpi-devel list, since it would
be a bit rude to flood the list with this stuff. But of course, general
smart battery discussion should continue on acpi-devel.

Happy battery monitoring!

cheers,

Rich

* Re: sbs-linux: smart batteries on SourceForge (was New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller)
       [not found]     ` <42057EBE.5090102-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-02-06 13:33       ` François Valenduc
       [not found]         ` <42061CB8.5040205-IWqWACnzNjyZIoH1IeqzKA@public.gmane.org>
From: François Valenduc @ 2005-02-06 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hello everybody,
Finally I found a recent IASL binary which seems to work. However, the
use of this customized DSDT is not satisfactory. First, the FAN is now
always on. Second, when the battery is fully loaded, the battery level
is reported at 9% of remaining capacity. I own an ACER Travelmate
4001Lmi, so I tried the patch dedicated to this model, but the result is
not correct. The only positive point is that the bug addressed with the
patch acpi-ec-nospinlock doens't seem to occur. There is no loss of
reactivity when I use the SBS-CM method to access the battery. I have
put in the attachement the original an pacthed DSDT table.

Thanks for your help,
François Valenduc

Rich Townsend a écrit :

> Hi all --
>
> I've finished the first cut of the DSDT hackery needed to get smart
> battery systems (SBS) working like 'traditional' control method (CM)
> batteries. This sounds like a kludge, but it's worth pointing out that
> many modern laptops already use SBS batteries internally, but expose
> them as CM batteries.
>
> The new code can be downloaded from the new SourceForge project I've
> established:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/sbs-linux/
>
> The package to download is SBS-CM-20050205. Basically, this package
> provides patches against the DSDT (in source form, as decompiled using
> the Intel compiler), that adds in the SBS-CM support. Full
> instructions are provided in the accompanying README file.
>
> The following systems are "supported":
>
>  *) Acer Extensa 3002WLMi
>  *) Acer TravelMate 4000LMi
>  *) Acer TravelMate 4001LMi
>  *) Acer TravelMate 4001WLMi
>  *) Acer TravelMate 4002LMi
>  *) Acer TravelMate 4502LMi
>  *) Acer TravelMate 4502WLMi
>  *) Acer Extensa 3202XCi
>
> I'm currently working on the Acer Aspire 1692WLMi, which already
> contains a broken SBS-CM implementation. The Acer TravelMate 382 and
> Ferrari 3400 also already contain SBS-CM implementations, but I'm not
> sure to what extent they work or not.
>
> As well as the DSDT patches, I provide in the package my embedded
> controller patch, that improves the EC responsiveness by switching
> from spinlocks to semaphores. I've tried out the other patches
> mentioned recently on this list, but they either don't work, or reduce
> EC access rates to a crawl.
>
> Note that battery events, including alarms, are properly handled; so
> you should get notifications in /proc/acpi/event when something
> interesting happens. In tandem with acpid, you can use these
> notifications to, e.g., shutdown your system when the battery gets low.
>
> Bug reports, feature requests, etc, should be submitted using the
> SourceForge project page -- not to the acpi-devel list, since it would
> be a bit rude to flood the list with this stuff. But of course,
> general smart battery discussion should continue on acpi-devel.
>
> Happy battery monitoring!
>
> cheers,
>
> Rich

[-- Attachment #2: dsdt.bz2 --]

@ 2005-02-06 14:10           ` Olaf Jansen-Olliges
From: Olaf Jansen-Olliges @ 2005-02-06 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hello Francoise, (sorry for the missing cedille),

Am Sonntag, 6. Februar 2005 14:33 schrieb François Valenduc:
> Hello everybody,
> Finally I found a recent IASL binary which seems to work. However, the
> use of this customized DSDT is not satisfactory. First, the FAN is now
> always on. Second, when the battery is fully loaded, the battery level
> is reported at 9% of remaining capacity. I own an ACER Travelmate
> 4001Lmi, so I tried the patch dedicated to this model, but the result is
> not correct. The only positive point is that the bug addressed with the
> patch acpi-ec-nospinlock doens't seem to occur. There is no loss of
> reactivity when I use the SBS-CM method to access the battery. I have
> put in the attachement the original an pacthed DSDT table.

when I'am right you have used the Version 20040715 of iasl. When i use this
version my Machine missbehaves as well ;-) It even shuts down immediately.
I've patched and compiled a version for your laptop with version 20051203.

Pehrhaps you may give this on  a try.

Olaf

P.S.: eventually we should use toe sourceforge forum to discuss this issue -
as purposed by Rich --> https://sourceforge.net/projects/sbs-linux/

[-- Attachment #2: DSDT.aml --]

@ 2005-02-06 17:28       ` Johan Vromans
       [not found]         ` <m28y61a98u.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
       [not found]         ` <42066328.1080601@bartol.udel.edu>
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-02-06 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I've finished the first cut of the DSDT hackery needed to get smart
> battery systems (SBS) working like 'traditional' control method (CM)
> batteries.

Good work!

Do your chages for TravelMate4001 still disable I2C access?

-- Johan

@ 2005-02-06 19:25           ` Johan Vromans
       [not found]             ` <m2oeex7ap2.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-02-06 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Johan Vromans <jvromans-2pNSKKP3PSKEVqv0pETR8A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Do your chages for TravelMate4001 still disable I2C access?

Yes, they do.
Rich, is there a real need to do so?

-- Johan

* Re: Re: sbs-linux: smart batteries on SourceForge
       [not found]             ` <m2oeex7ap2.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-02-06 19:29               ` Rich Townsend
From: Rich Townsend @ 2005-02-06 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Johan Vromans wrote:
> Johan Vromans <jvromans-2pNSKKP3PSKEVqv0pETR8A@public.gmane.org> writes:
>

>>Do your chages for TravelMate4001 still disable I2C access?
>

> Yes, they do.
> Rich, is there a real need to do so?

Well, I found that parts of the SBS-CM stuff stopped working with the
I2C access enabled. I'm still looking into this, but for the moment it
seems that I2C must be disabled.

@ 2005-02-06 19:34           ` Johan Vromans
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-02-06 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Townsend; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

[Quoting Rich Townsend, on February 6 2005, 13:34, in "Re: sbs-linux: smart"]
> > Do your chages for TravelMate4001 still disable I2C access?
>
> Yes, they do. I found weird behaviour arises if I2C access remains
> enabled. I'm looking further into this, because I would prefer to keep
> the I2C stuff going.

That would be very nice.
Just for the record, I'm running 'your' SBS-DSDT right now, with no
apparent problems (I used the compiled-in DSDT technique).

-- Johan

@ 2005-02-06 21:40               ` Johan Vromans
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-02-06 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Johan Vromans <jvromans-2pNSKKP3PSKEVqv0pETR8A@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> This would be wonderful.  Do you know of a patch that implements this?
>
> No, but I'll take a look.

Seems to be a bit harder than I expected. At the point where the ACPI
table is overridden, you cannot do anything yet (in particular, no
disk I/O)... So the only way to implement this would be to get the DSDT
table from the initrd, making the 'improvement' to the current initrd
patch not worth the trouble.

On a side note: wouldn't it be better if the initrd patch started to
look for the DSDT signature *backwards* from the end? This would
guarantee that always the last DSDT appended is used. In other words,
updating the initrd is easy: just append a new signature + table.
If you're like me, you'll probably going to build a new kernel + new
initrd way before it gets to big ...

-- Johan

* Re: New SmartBattery DSDT-based controller
       [not found] ` <41FBDDE2.1050403-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-06 21:42   ` Johan Vromans
       [not found]     ` <m2mzuhz7pg.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-02-06 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> 1) Direct fiddling with the SMBus registers that make up part of the EC
> address space. This is what Bruno Ducrot's i2c-acpi-ec module was for:
> it exposed kernel-space functions to allow one to perform the required
> fiddling. My acpi-sbs module then used these functions to examine the
> status of the smart battery.

Actually, I think this approach has it attractive sides as well.
I'm currently using your acpi-sbs snapshot of 20050120. Did you
produce anything better before you switched to the DSDT approach?

@ 2005-02-06 21:52       ` Rich Townsend
       [not found]         ` <42069196.707-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
From: Rich Townsend @ 2005-02-06 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Johan Vromans wrote:
> Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>

>>1) Direct fiddling with the SMBus registers that make up part of the EC
>>address space. This is what Bruno Ducrot's i2c-acpi-ec module was for:
>>it exposed kernel-space functions to allow one to perform the required
>>fiddling. My acpi-sbs module then used these functions to examine the
>>status of the smart battery.
>

> Actually, I think this approach has it attractive sides as well.
> I'm currently using your acpi-sbs snapshot of 20050120. Did you
> produce anything better before you switched to the DSDT approach?

No, I got sidetracked by the DSDT stuff (and by my 3 month-old daughter!).

However, I should mention that, long-term, I see the acpi-sbs module as
*sort of* the way to go. But first, we need a proper framework for
dealing with batteries under Linux, that exposes a unified interface to
userspace. This framework would abstract away all of the hardware
dependent stuff, so that whether a system has a CM battery or an SBS
battery, it appears exactly the same outside the kernel. The "future"
acpi-sbs module would be implemented as part of this framework, as would
a new module for CM batteries.

@ 2005-02-07  9:27           ` Johan Vromans
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-02-07  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> However, I should mention that, long-term, I see the acpi-sbs module
> as *sort of* the way to go.

I fully agree. For most purposes, the current acpi-sbs module already
performs a great job. Most userspace tools function correctly with the
CM 'emulation'. There may be parts missing, though.

-- Johan

@ 2005-02-07  9:32       ` Johan Vromans
       [not found]         ` <m23bw8zpdz.fsf-KjnUIgV0B0bak1Ioo/c9IoRWq/SkRNHw@public.gmane.org>
From: Johan Vromans @ 2005-02-07  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Full instructions are provided in the accompanying README file.

If I understand the instructions correctly, _every_ change to the BIOS
settings would require me to:
 - boot a non-DSDT-overriding kernel
 - extract the (possibly modified) DSDT
 - repeat the patch procedure, building a new DSDT
 - strip the old one from my initrd, and append the new DSDT
 - reboot the new kernel

This is quite cumbersome.
Is there any insight in what changes to BIOS settings would lead to
changes in the DSDT?

@ 2005-02-07 12:06           ` Rich Townsend
       [not found]             ` <420759DB.1000009-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org>
From: Rich Townsend @ 2005-02-07 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Vromans, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Johan Vromans wrote:
> Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>

>>Full instructions are provided in the accompanying README file.
>

> If I understand the instructions correctly, _every_ change to the BIOS
> settings would require me to:
>  - boot a non-DSDT-overriding kernel
>  - extract the (possibly modified) DSDT
>  - repeat the patch procedure, building a new DSDT
>  - strip the old one from my initrd, and append the new DSDT
>  - reboot the new kernel
>
> This is quite cumbersome.
> Is there any insight in what changes to BIOS settings would lead to
> changes in the DSDT?
>
> -- Johan

Things like enabling/disabling mobo devices such as the parallel and
serial ports; changing the power policies; modifying the IRQ assingment
stuff.

But how often does one do all this, once one's laptop is properly
configured?

cheers,

Rich

@ 2005-02-07 12:49               ` David Goodenough
       [not found]                 ` <200502071249.40300.david.goodenough-6b45v/Ft3lbby3iVrkZq2A@public.gmane.org>
From: David Goodenough @ 2005-02-07 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Monday 07 February 2005 12:06, Rich Townsend wrote:
> Johan Vromans wrote:
> > Rich Townsend <rhdt-OBnUx95tOyn10jlvfTC4gA@public.gmane.org> writes:
> >>Full instructions are provided in the accompanying README file.
> >
> > If I understand the instructions correctly, _every_ change to the BIOS
> > settings would require me to:
> >  - boot a non-DSDT-overriding kernel
> >  - extract the (possibly modified) DSDT
> >  - repeat the patch procedure, building a new DSDT
> >  - strip the old one from my initrd, and append the new DSDT
> >  - reboot the new kernel
> >
> > This is quite cumbersome.
> > Is there any insight in what changes to BIOS settings would lead to
> > changes in the DSDT?
> >
> > -- Johan
>
> Things like enabling/disabling mobo devices such as the parallel and
> serial ports; changing the power policies; modifying the IRQ assingment
> stuff.
>
> But how often does one do all this, once one's laptop is properly
> configured?
I suppose the next question is can I do any harm by using a DSDT that
is out of step with that the BIOS thinks it should be, or I just loose the
effect of the change I have made?

David

@ 2005-02-08 18:53                   ` Hendrik Jürgens
From: Hendrik Jürgens @ 2005-02-08 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi!

have another problem with my smartbattery.
My clock is going wrong after using der sbs interfaces (DSDT-Fix and
also the userspace interface). For example after 5h of running time and
using a battery monitor (could also be watch cat /proc...) my clock is
about 30 minutes behind current time. =(
i've tested it without any battery driver and theres no "lagging" of my
clock.

Hendrik