* [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc
@ 2005-04-07 21:46 Nico -telmich- Schottelius
From: Nico -telmich- Schottelius @ 2005-04-07 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Hello dear developers!

First impressions: It is somehow next to work.

1. The problem is that my / (root) is xfs, which is not support yet.

Marco, can you fix that? ;-)

2. The second thing which is a bit ugly is that grub2 lists
(hd) (hd,...) _AND_ (ultra0) (ultra0,...)

which describes the same harddisk. This is a bit confusing for me.

3. grub once killed itself/hangup: I typed
   linux (hd,3)/usr<TAB> (hda4 == my /)
   But I cannot reproduce it!

4. When typing
   linux (hd3)/<tab> grub does NOT say "no such device" or something
   similar, but prints a new line. For someone who does not see the
   typo, he'll be the one who asks on support channels.

   Btw, the same behaviour is seen when doing
   linux (hd,3)<tab> (on the not readable xfs partition). I really
   would like to see "Cannot read that filesystem (yet)."-message.

5. When loading grub after the _first_ yaboot prompt
   (where one can select openfirmware, macos, linux) grub
   does not cleanly overwrite the text written before!

That's it for the first time.

Please tell me when those things are fixed and I'll try again.

Nico

--
Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available.
Please use pgp encryption: 8D0E 27A4 is my id.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 827 bytes --]

* Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc
@ 2005-04-08  4:07 ` Hollis Blanchard
From: Hollis Blanchard @ 2005-04-08  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Thanks very much for your report, Nico! (Note to others: I have updated
the PPC wiki info based on some IRC questions from Nico.)

On Apr 7, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:

> 2. The second thing which is a bit ugly is that grub2 lists
> (hd) (hd,...) _AND_ (ultra0) (ultra0,...)
>
> which describes the same harddisk. This is a bit confusing for me.

It is possible to fix this; we could walk the devalias list and create
a list of the resolved device paths, then walk *that* list to find
valid devices. I think it is worthwhile.

> 3. grub once killed itself/hangup: I typed
>    linux (hd,3)/usr<TAB> (hda4 == my /)
>    But I cannot reproduce it!

Hopefully the debug print patch will aid in problem determination in
the future. In this case I guess it wouldn't have helped, but if the
problem is at all reproducible then running again with "debug=all"
would be quite helpful. I hope to dust off Vincent's patch soon, as
I've just had to remove some debug prints that I would much rather have
left in for future use. :)

> 5. When loading grub after the _first_ yaboot prompt
>    (where one can select openfirmware, macos, linux) grub
>    does not cleanly overwrite the text written before!

I see lots of screen garbage, especially when command tab-completion
wraps to the next line, or when returning from "suspend". This is on my
list to investigate, but lower than some other things. Is this also
present on x86?

-Hollis

* Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc
@ 2005-04-08  6:33   ` Marco Gerards
From: Marco Gerards @ 2005-04-08  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Hollis Blanchard <hollis@penguinppc.org> writes:

> I see lots of screen garbage, especially when command tab-completion
> wraps to the next line, or when returning from "suspend". This is on
> my list to investigate, but lower than some other things. Is this also
> present on x86?

This has to to with wrapping lines and how getxy works.  I had a look
at this and will do it again soon.  It is a bit higher on my todo.

Thanks,
Marco

* Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc
@ 2005-04-08  6:37 ` Marco Gerards
From: Marco Gerards @ 2005-04-08  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-linux-grub@schottelius.org> writes:

> 1. The problem is that my / (root) is xfs, which is not support yet.
>
> Marco, can you fix that? ;-)

Sure, you can expect it at the end of Juni or before that if possible.
I have some code already.  I beg people not to work on it because of
that, it will be done!

> 3. grub once killed itself/hangup: I typed
>    linux (hd,3)/usr<TAB> (hda4 == my /)
>    But I cannot reproduce it!

Which filesystem is used on (hd,3)?

> 4. When typing
>    linux (hd3)/<tab> grub does NOT say "no such device" or something
>    similar, but prints a new line. For someone who does not see the
>    typo, he'll be the one who asks on support channels.

Right.  This can be done if that is what everyone expects...

>    Btw, the same behaviour is seen when doing
>    linux (hd,3)<tab> (on the not readable xfs partition). I really
>    would like to see "Cannot read that filesystem (yet)."-message.

Tab completion does not print errors at all.

> Please tell me when those things are fixed and I'll try again.

Sure.  Thanks for testing!

--
Marco

* Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc
@ 2005-04-08 10:01   ` Nico -telmich- Schottelius
From: Nico -telmich- Schottelius @ 2005-04-08 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Hollis Blanchard [Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:07:27PM -0500]:
> [removing double harddisk output]

Let's see whether I can tell you it works fine at my next test ;-)

> [grub debug=all]

good to know for the next time. will you realize debugging as a module
or compile time option, so one can easily remove it?

> >5. When loading grub after the _first_ yaboot prompt
> >   (where one can select openfirmware, macos, linux) grub
> >   does not cleanly overwrite the text written before!
>
> I see lots of screen garbage, especially when command tab-completion
> wraps to the next line, or when returning from "suspend". This is on my
> list to investigate, but lower than some other things. Is this also
> present on x86?

Sorry, no x86 right here, which I could use for testing.

But what you describe is different from what I mean:
I simply mean grub does _not_ cleanup the screen before it prints,
so partly the old message from yaboot's first stage is still there.

When using tab-expansion, I didn't noticed (nor did I pay attention to)
any screen garbage.

Nico

--

@ 2005-04-08 10:21     ` Marco Gerards
From: Marco Gerards @ 2005-04-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-linux-grub@schottelius.org> writes:

> But what you describe is different from what I mean:
> I simply mean grub does _not_ cleanup the screen before it prints,
> so partly the old message from yaboot's first stage is still there.

This is only the case when using rescue mode, right?  IIRC normal code
clears the screen before showing the welcome message.

--
Marco

* Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc
@ 2005-04-08 12:01   ` Nico -telmich- Schottelius
From: Nico -telmich- Schottelius @ 2005-04-08 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Marco Gerards [Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:37:19AM +0200]:
> Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-linux-grub@schottelius.org> writes:
>
> > 1. The problem is that my / (root) is xfs, which is not support yet.
> >
> > Marco, can you fix that? ;-)
>
> Sure, you can expect it at the end of Juni or before that if possible.
> I have some code already.  I beg people not to work on it because of
> that, it will be done!

June is a bit far away, but perhaps I'll copy my kernel on a hfs
partition for testing (I always thought leaving macosx there is a good
thing ;-).

> > 3. grub once killed itself/hangup: I typed
> >    linux (hd,3)/usr<TAB> (hda4 == my /)
> >    But I cannot reproduce it!
>
> Which filesystem is used on (hd,3)?

xfs

> > 4. When typing
> >    linux (hd3)/<tab> grub does NOT say "no such device" or something
> >    similar, but prints a new line. For someone who does not see the
> >    typo, he'll be the one who asks on support channels.
>
> Right.  This can be done if that is what everyone expects...

Well or at least don't print a new line+prompt. That makes me think
'oh the expansion is ready|completed'.

> >    Btw, the same behaviour is seen when doing
> >    linux (hd,3)<tab> (on the not readable xfs partition). I really
> >    would like to see "Cannot read that filesystem (yet)."-message.
>
> Tab completion does not print errors at all.

I thought I saw that in grub1

Nico

--

@ 2005-04-08 12:03       ` Nico -telmich- Schottelius
From: Nico -telmich- Schottelius @ 2005-04-08 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Marco Gerards [Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 12:21:58PM +0200]:
> Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-linux-grub@schottelius.org> writes:
>
> > But what you describe is different from what I mean:
> > I simply mean grub does _not_ cleanup the screen before it prints,
> > so partly the old message from yaboot's first stage is still there.
>
> This is only the case when using rescue mode, right?  IIRC normal code
> clears the screen before showing the welcome message.

"I don't know".

All what I did was loaded grubof.modules from hd,3. The system was
in a 'normal' state before.

What do you mean with rescue mode? No, I didn't enable anything like
that in grub, nor did grub use a menu (seems to be a wrong formated
grub.cfg).

Nico

--

@ 2005-04-08 12:20         ` Marco Gerards
From: Marco Gerards @ 2005-04-08 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-linux-grub@schottelius.org> writes:

>> This is only the case when using rescue mode, right?  IIRC normal code
>> clears the screen before showing the welcome message.
>
> "I don't know".
>
> All what I did was loaded grubof.modules from hd,3. The system was
> in a 'normal' state before.
>
> What do you mean with rescue mode? No, I didn't enable anything like
> that in grub, nor did grub use a menu (seems to be a wrong formated
> grub.cfg).

Did you add normal.mod using grub-mkimage or was it automatically
loaded?

You can check this easily.  After normal.mod is loaded you will have
both tab completion and a history buffer.

How did you load GRUB?  By going to OF from yaboot and loading GRUB
there?

--
Marco

* Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc
@ 2005-04-08 12:24     ` Marco Gerards
From: Marco Gerards @ 2005-04-08 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-linux-grub@schottelius.org> writes:

>> Sure, you can expect it at the end of Juni or before that if possible.
>> I have some code already.  I beg people not to work on it because of
>> that, it will be done!
>
> June is a bit far away, but perhaps I'll copy my kernel on a hfs
> partition for testing (I always thought leaving macosx there is a good
> thing ;-).

lol

Make sure it is HFS and not HFS+.  HFS+ is just like XFS on my todo
list.  If it is important please tell me, as for now no one *needed*
it yet.

>> > 3. grub once killed itself/hangup: I typed
>> >    linux (hd,3)/usr<TAB> (hda4 == my /)
>> >    But I cannot reproduce it!
>>
>> Which filesystem is used on (hd,3)?
>
> xfs

Right, so an unknown filesystem can make it crash.  Perhaps it is
caused by a faulty probe of some other filesystem module.  Which
filesystem modules were loaded?

>> > 4. When typing
>> >    linux (hd3)/<tab> grub does NOT say "no such device" or something
>> >    similar, but prints a new line. For someone who does not see the
>> >    typo, he'll be the one who asks on support channels.
>>
>> Right.  This can be done if that is what everyone expects...
>
> Well or at least don't print a new line+prompt. That makes me think
> 'oh the expansion is ready|completed'.

I will have a look.

>> >    Btw, the same behaviour is seen when doing
>> >    linux (hd,3)<tab> (on the not readable xfs partition). I really
>> >    would like to see "Cannot read that filesystem (yet)."-message.
>>
>> Tab completion does not print errors at all.
>
> I thought I saw that in grub1

Ok.  I will try GRUB Legacy.  I think GRUB 2 and GRUB Legacy should
work the same for tab completion.

--
Marco

* Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc
@ 2005-04-08 14:51           ` Hollis Blanchard
From: Hollis Blanchard @ 2005-04-08 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Apr 8, 2005, at 7:20 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

> Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-linux-grub@schottelius.org> writes:
>
>>> This is only the case when using rescue mode, right?  IIRC normal
>>> code
>>> clears the screen before showing the welcome message.
>>
>> "I don't know".
>>
>> All what I did was loaded grubof.modules from hd,3. The system was
>> in a 'normal' state before.
>>
>> What do you mean with rescue mode? No, I didn't enable anything like
>> that in grub, nor did grub use a menu (seems to be a wrong formated
>> grub.cfg).
>
> Did you add normal.mod using grub-mkimage or was it automatically
> loaded?
>
> You can check this easily.  After normal.mod is loaded you will have
> both tab completion and a history buffer.
>
> How did you load GRUB?  By going to OF from yaboot and loading GRUB
> there?

He built and booted as described at
http://autistici.org/grub/moin.cgi/TestingOnPowerPC .

-Hollis

* Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc
@ 2005-04-08 15:03           ` Nico -telmich- Schottelius
From: Nico -telmich- Schottelius @ 2005-04-08 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Marco Gerards [Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 02:20:52PM +0200]:
> Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-linux-grub@schottelius.org> writes:
> >> This is only the case when using rescue mode, right?  IIRC normal code
> >> clears the screen before showing the welcome message.
> >
> > "I don't know".
> >
> > All what I did was loaded grubof.modules from hd,3. The system was
> > in a 'normal' state before.
> >
> > What do you mean with rescue mode? No, I didn't enable anything like
> > that in grub, nor did grub use a menu (seems to be a wrong formated
> > grub.cfg).
>
> Did you add normal.mod using grub-mkimage or was it automatically
> loaded?

well, I added *.mod, as described in the wiki.
So I assume it is added.

> You can check this easily.  After normal.mod is loaded you will have
> both tab completion and a history buffer.

Yes, that was possible.

> How did you load GRUB?  By going to OF from yaboot and loading GRUB
> there?

Yes and one time I also went there with apple+alt+o+f.
But that does not make any difference imho, does it?

Nico

--

@ 2005-04-08 16:11             ` Marco Gerards
From: Marco Gerards @ 2005-04-08 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-linux-grub@schottelius.org> writes:

>> How did you load GRUB?  By going to OF from yaboot and loading GRUB
>> there?
>
> Yes and one time I also went there with apple+alt+o+f.
> But that does not make any difference imho, does it?

It shouldn't.  But your email looked like it did.  And when I run it
like this (apple+alt+o+f) I don't see anything weird.  But I will try
again.

--
Marco

* Re: [BUG+Experiences] grub2 on ppc