* [KJ] One question
@ 2005-04-22  8:10 Christophe Lucas
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Christophe Lucas @ 2005-04-22  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

Hi KJ folks,

I ask me one question and I don't have any correct answer:
Could it be made one tool to follow progress about long series of patch
about one entry in KJ TODO ?

Such as :
.*set_dma_mask patch series

Some person have made lot of great job on this, but we don't know what
is pending, what is rejected.

I know, I can read all archive of KJ ML, thanks :-)

I have tough about one solution, but it is not efficient and correct:

./linux-x.y.z-suffix/
./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/
./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/
./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/pending/ (commited here)
./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/

The problem is : ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/

We do the job again and again...

So perhaps this mail is a waste of your time, so sorry.

	~Christophe

* Re: [KJ] One question
@ 2005-04-22  8:29 ` Christophe Lucas
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Christophe Lucas @ 2005-04-22  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

Christophe Lucas (clucas@rotomalug.org) wrote:
> Hi KJ folks,
>
> I ask me one question and I don't have any correct answer:
> Could it be made one tool to follow progress about long series of patch
> about one entry in KJ TODO ?
>
> Such as :
> .*set_dma_mask patch series
>
> Some person have made lot of great job on this, but we don't know what
> is pending, what is rejected.
>
> I know, I can read all archive of KJ ML, thanks :-)
>
> I have tough about one solution, but it is not efficient and correct:
>
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/pending/ (commited here)
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/

- ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/
+ ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/rejected/

	~Christophe

* Re: [KJ] One question
@ 2005-04-22 14:03 ` Domen Puncer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Domen Puncer @ 2005-04-22 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

On 22/04/05 10:10 +0200, Christophe Lucas wrote:
> Hi KJ folks,
>
> I ask me one question and I don't have any correct answer:
> Could it be made one tool to follow progress about long series of patch
> about one entry in KJ TODO ?
>
> Such as :
> .*set_dma_mask patch series

Something like this?
domen@nd47:~/kernel$ grep ^dma_mask kj-*/{merged,dropped}
kj-2.6.12-rc1/merged:dma_mask-drivers_atm_lanai
kj-2.6.12-rc1/merged:dma_mask-drivers_scsi_ahci
kj-2.6.12-rc1/merged:dma_mask-drivers_scsi_sata_vsc
kj-2.6.12-rc2/dropped:dma_mask-drivers_ide_pci_cs5520
kj-2.6.12-rc2/dropped:dma_mask-drivers_scsi_lasi700
kj-2.6.12-rc2/dropped:dma_mask-drivers_net_wireless_prism54_islpci_hotplug
kj-2.6.12-rc2/dropped:dma_mask-drivers_net
kj-2.6.12-rc2/dropped:dma_mask-drivers_net_tokenring_lanstreamer
kj-2.6.12-rc2/dropped:dma_mask-drivers_scsi
kj-2.6.12-rc2/dropped:dma_mask-drivers_block_cciss

However, dma_mask was a nice example, I don't think I'm so consistent
with naming for other TODO entries.

> Some person have made lot of great job on this, but we don't know what
> is pending, what is rejected.
>
> I know, I can read all archive of KJ ML, thanks :-)

Well, just the -kj announcements should tell you what was dropped/merged
since last -kj. It doesn't cover patches, that don't come into -kj, and
neither the ones that get merged before -kj (it really happens sometimes).

> I have tough about one solution, but it is not efficient and correct:
>
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/pending/ (commited here)
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/

Seems similar to merged/series/dropped files.

> The problem is : ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/

Just `cat` all dropped and merged together?

	Domen

* Re: [KJ] One question
@ 2005-04-22 14:32 ` Christophe Lucas
From: Christophe Lucas @ 2005-04-22 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

Domen Puncer (domen@coderock.org) wrote:
> On 22/04/05 10:10 +0200, Christophe Lucas wrote:
> > Hi KJ folks,
> >
> > I ask me one question and I don't have any correct answer:
> > Could it be made one tool to follow progress about long series of patch
> > about one entry in KJ TODO ?
> >
> > Such as :
> > .*set_dma_mask patch series
>
> Something like this?

Yes.

> domen@nd47:~/kernel$ grep ^dma_mask kj-*/{merged,dropped}
> kj-2.6.12-rc1/merged:dma_mask-drivers_atm_lanai
> [snip]
> kj-2.6.12-rc2/dropped:dma_mask-drivers_block_cciss
>
> However, dma_mask was a nice example, I don't think I'm so consistent
> with naming for other TODO entries.

Yes, I agreed with you, dma-mask is a cute example :) some of others are not.

> > Some person have made lot of great job on this, but we don't know what
> > is pending, what is rejected.
> >
> > I know, I can read all archive of KJ ML, thanks :-)
>
> Well, just the -kj announcements should tell you what was dropped/merged
> since last -kj. It doesn't cover patches, that don't come into -kj, and
> neither the ones that get merged before -kj (it really happens sometimes).

Yes.
Patches which have been merged without the -kj tree could not be
find again. So there is no question about submitted or not.

> > I have tough about one solution, but it is not efficient and correct:
> >
> > ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/
> > ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/
> > ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/
> > ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/pending/ (commited here)
> > ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/
>
> Seems similar to merged/series/dropped files.
>

> > The problem is : ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/
>
> Just `cat` all dropped and merged together?

It can be done :)

	~Christophe

* Re: [KJ] One question
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-23 14:29 ` Tobias Klauser
From: Tobias Klauser @ 2005-04-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 10:10:38AM +0200, Christophe Lucas wrote:
> I ask me one question and I don't have any correct answer:
> Could it be made one tool to follow progress about long series of patch
> about one entry in KJ TODO ?

Generally this is a good idea. Otherwise this puts a lot of work onto
the KJ maintainer and I'm not sure if he is willing to accept that
additional work.

> Such as :
> .*set_dma_mask patch series
>
> Some person have made lot of great job on this, but we don't know what
> is pending, what is rejected.

Yup, some maintainers are very good at letting you know about
accepting/rejecting patches, others are not.

> I know, I can read all archive of KJ ML, thanks :-)

That's what they are for. ;-)

> I have tough about one solution, but it is not efficient and correct:
>
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/pending/ (commited here)
> ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/patch-serie/merged/
>
> The problem is : ./linux-x.y.z-suffix/

Exactly. I don't think such a approach will help anyone, kernel versions
just change too often. And, as mentioned above it puts a lot of work
onto the maintainer.

> We do the job again and again...

Hmmm, most of the time we do not need to start again, we just have to
adjust the patches. KJ patches are often not very intrusive and do not
change many lines of code, so this is generally easy.

> So perhaps this mail is a waste of your time, so sorry.

No, it isn't. Ideas/discussion on how to improve work on an issue is
always good.

	Tobias

* Re: [KJ] One question
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)