* RE: DBS enabling on EM64T machine with cpufreqd
@ 2005-05-26 13:15 Pallipadi, Venkatesh
From: Pallipadi, Venkatesh @ 2005-05-26 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lin, Zihui, cpufreq

For Nocona I would suggest using the in kernel ondemand governor. More
details here
http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/dc/xeon/reference/1959
10.htm

And newer versions of the userspace governors should be able to handle
SMP processsors. Earlier versions didn't. Not sure which version of
cpufreqd you are using.

Thanks,
Venki

@ 2005-05-26 13:36 ` Mattia Dongili
From: Mattia Dongili @ 2005-05-26 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pallipadi, Venkatesh; +Cc: cpufreq

On 5/26/05, Pallipadi, Venkatesh <venkatesh.pallipadi@intel.com> wrote:
[...]
> And newer versions of the userspace governors should be able to handle
> SMP processsors. Earlier versions didn't. Not sure which version of
> cpufreqd you are using.

oh well... cpufreqd has never been able to handle the userspace governor.

[...]
> >profile=lo_power [root@ae64 cpufreq]# cpufreqd -D
> >
> >libsys_init() - no batteries found, not a laptop?
[...]

after this message cpufreqd should run correctly considering your
server always ac-on and with no battery.
Anyway, as said you're probably better using the ondemand in-kernel
governor to dinamically scale based on cpuload. You can still use
cpufreqd to apply different limits based other parameters :)

--
mattia
:wq!

* RE: DBS enabling on EM64T machine with cpufreqd
@ 2005-06-05  1:43 ` Carl Thompson
From: Carl Thompson @ 2005-06-05  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pallipadi, Venkatesh; +Cc: cpufreq

If you're having trouble with cpufreqd on SMP systems, try CPUSpeed. It
works perfectly.

     http://carlthompson.net/software/cpuspeed

Carl Thompson

----- Message from venkatesh.pallipadi@intel.com ---------
    Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 06:15:07 -0700
    From: "Pallipadi, Venkatesh" <venkatesh.pallipadi@intel.com>
Subject: RE: DBS enabling on EM64T machine with cpufreqd
      To: "Lin, Zihui" <zihui.lin@intel.com>, cpufreq@lists.linux.org.uk

> For Nocona I would suggest using the in kernel ondemand governor. More
> details here
> http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/dc/xeon/reference/1959
> 10.htm
>
> And newer versions of the userspace governors should be able to handle
> SMP processsors. Earlier versions didn't. Not sure which version of
> cpufreqd you are using.
>
> Thanks,
> Venki

----- End message from venkatesh.pallipadi@intel.com -----

* DBS enabling on EM64T machine with cpufreqd
@ 2005-05-26 10:04 Lin, Zihui