* New target to control a fake network interface
@ 2005-06-21  2:12 Corey Giovanella
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Corey Giovanella @ 2005-06-21  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

Hi all,

I just finished some code I've been working on and I figured I'd post a
message here incase anyone is interested in using it.

What I have done is written two new kernel modules: a fake network
interface module and a new iptables target that remote controls the
packet counters on the fake interface.  The fake interface itself, does
nothing.

The idea just kinda of came to me when I was looking at network drivers
for another idea I was thinking about.  Being able to represent packets
matched using a network interface seemed to be something that could be
useful.  I figure there are lots of programs that show graphs and things
of nic's in your computer, this would plug into them nicely.

For example I use this so I can view internet traffic separately from my
local lan traffic in Gkrellm.

I've posted the source and perhaps a better description on my web site:
http://challenge-engineering.com/~corey/projects/fake_if/

any thoughts or feed back of any form would be appreciated.

--
Corey Giovanella <coreygiovanella@challenge-engineering.com>
www.challenge-engineering.com/~corey/