* Alsactl Boot Error
@ 2005-11-06  3:10 Peter
From: Peter @ 2005-11-06  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Hi,

After upgrading to slackware 10.2 I get the following error when booting:

/usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:873: failed to obtain info for
control #35 (No such file or directory)

What is the meaning and does it have any negative effect, how to correct?

Thanks & regards
-
Peter
-

* Re: Alsactl Boot Error
@ 2005-11-06 17:39 ` Jeremy Abbott
From: Jeremy Abbott @ 2005-11-06 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter; +Cc: Linux-Newbie

On 11/5/05 7:10 PM, "Peter" <heisspf@skyinet.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After upgrading to slackware 10.2 I get the following error when booting:

> /usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:873: failed to obtain info for
> control #35 (No such file or directory)
>
> What is the meaning and does it have any negative effect, how to correct?
>
> Thanks & regards
> -
> Peter
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

If you do a run "man alsactl" at the command line, it will tell you that
this file is used for advanced control of your sound card.

-

* Re: Alsactl Boot Error
@ 2005-11-07  2:09   ` Peter
From: Peter @ 2005-11-07  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Abbott; +Cc: Linux-Newbie

> On 11/5/05 7:10 PM, "Peter" <heisspf@skyinet.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > After upgrading to slackware 10.2 I get the following error when booting:

> > /usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:873: failed to obtain info for
> > control #35 (No such file or directory)
> >
> > What is the meaning and does it have any negative effect, how to correct?
> >
> > Thanks & regards
> > -
> > Peter
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 09:39:07 -0800
Jeremy Abbott <jkbullfrog@verizon.net> wrote:

> If you do a run "man alsactl" at the command line, it will tell you that
> this file is used for advanced control of your sound card.

Thanks, yes I am aware of this, however, it is not a question of the alsactl
file it must be a problem within this files or another file it calls on the
way I read the error message, "set_control:873: failed to obtain info for
control #35 (No such file or directory)"
Reinstalling the alsa_utils program of slackware10.1 does not solve the
problem.

--
Peter
-

* Re: Alsactl Boot Error
@ 2005-11-08 15:34     ` linuxdevelop linux
From: linuxdevelop linux @ 2005-11-08 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter; +Cc: Jeremy Abbott, Linux-Newbie

Try running alsaconf and see if that helps ..

./thanks
ilaiy

On 11/6/05, Peter <heisspf@skyinet.net> wrote:

> > On 11/5/05 7:10 PM, "Peter" <heisspf@skyinet.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After upgrading to slackware 10.2 I get the following error when booting:

> > > /usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:873: failed to obtain info for
> > > control #35 (No such file or directory)
> > >
> > > What is the meaning and does it have any negative effect, how to correct?
> > >
> > > Thanks & regards
> > > -
> > > Peter
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 09:39:07 -0800
> Jeremy Abbott <jkbullfrog@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> > If you do a run "man alsactl" at the command line, it will tell you that
> > this file is used for advanced control of your sound card.
> >

> Thanks, yes I am aware of this, however, it is not a question of the alsactl
> file it must be a problem within this files or another file it calls on the
> way I read the error message, "set_control:873: failed to obtain info for
> control #35 (No such file or directory)"
> Reinstalling the alsa_utils program of slackware10.1 does not solve the
> problem.
>

> --
> Peter
> -

-

* Re: Alsactl Boot Error
@ 2005-11-08 21:01       ` Chris Largret
From: Chris Largret @ 2005-11-08 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter; +Cc: Jeremy Abbott, Linux-Newbie

> After upgrading to slackware 10.2 I get the following error when
booting:

> /usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:873: failed to obtain info for
> control #35 (No such file or directory)
>
> What is the meaning and does it have any negative effect, how to
correct?

It simply means that there are new controls (or there was a name change
on an existing control) with the new kernel drivers. If you switch back
and forth between a couple kernel versions, you'll see this pretty
often. It isn't harmful in any way, but if you want to make it go away,
a simple "alsactl store" as root will suffice.

--
Chris Largret <http://daga.dyndns.org>

-

* Re: Alsactl Boot Error