* [Qemu-devel] Parallel Port Support
@ 2005-12-13 17:08 Trev Jackson
From: Trev Jackson @ 2005-12-13 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi

I have also posted this (QEMU for Linux //// has anyone got their parallel
port working?) on the QEMU forum regarding this, but since I understand
parallel port support is recent I thought It might be useful to post on the
development list as well.

I am trying to capture my parallel port scanner setup data so a Linux driver
can be written, (portmon for windows doesn't capture anything).

I cannot currently get the scanner working on windows 98SE running on QEMU.

I first downloaded the QEMU binary, but QEMU wouldn't run with the parallel
port option enabled:

# qemu -parallel /dev/parport0 -dummy-net -enable-audio -localtime -boot c
windows.img
Could not open '/dev/kqemu' - QEMU acceleration layer not activated
qemu: could not open parallel device '/dev/parport0'

I did the following to create the /dev/parport0 device:

modprobe parport-pc && modprobe ppdev
rmmod lp

I then ran
makedev /dev

and that created /dev/parport0 to /dev/parport7

I have now built QEMU 0.7.2 from source and am getting a similar error
message:

# qemu -parallel /dev/parport0 -dummy-net -enable-audio -localtime -boot c
windows.img
qemu: could not open parallel device '/dev/parport0'

Is this a problem with my set up or does this problem occur with everyones.

Best Regards

Trev

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Parallel Port Support
@ 2005-12-13 20:59 ` Trev Jackson
From: Trev Jackson @ 2005-12-13 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi everyone

I looked at the code (vl.c) and I don't know if I am missing something, but as
far as I can see unless the parameter passed to -parallel is either "vc"
"null" "pty" or "stdio" the function qemu_chr_open function that is called
returns null, which sets parallel_hds[0] to null, which in turn causes the
error message "qemu: could not open parallel device" to print and exit the
program.

Best Regards

Trev

@ 2005-12-13 21:41   ` Oliver Gerlich
From: Oliver Gerlich @ 2005-12-13 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Parallel Port Support
@ 2005-12-13 22:15     ` Trev Jackson
From: Trev Jackson @ 2005-12-13 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

> Sorry, I guess I overlooked in the forum thread that you use the binary
> version :( The host parallel port support is at the moment only
> available in the CVS version (the CVS log message is at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-11/msg00185.html).
>
> So, if you want to use the host parallel port with qemu, you should
> upgrade to the current CVS version.
> Daily CVS snapshots are available at
> http://qemu.dad-answers.com/download/qemu/
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

Thanks for the answer

The snapshot appears to be 46 bytes in size.
I would be grateful if you would let me know how to download from CVS or how
to download the snapshot without it downloading only 46 bytes.

@ 2005-12-13 22:26       ` Oliver Gerlich
From: Oliver Gerlich @ 2005-12-13 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Parallel Port Support
@ 2005-12-14  8:33         ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2005-12-14  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi,

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Oliver Gerlich wrote:

> Wow... looks like Fabrice stripped down Qemu to its bare minimum during
> the past days ;)
>
> Seriously, probably the script which downloads the CVS version every day
> broke somehow... But I can confirm that it still worked on 2005-12-07,
> though.

No. Savannah changed the way anonymous checkouts work. If you do a manual
"cvs update", you'll see a message leading to the forum post. The new
CVSROOT is :pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.nongnu.org:/cvsroot/qemu

Hth,
Dscho

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Parallel Port Support
@ 2005-12-14 14:46           ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-12-14 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> writes:

> CVSROOT is :pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.nongnu.org:/cvsroot/qemu
                                                         ^^^^^^^

That should be "sources".

Andreas.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Parallel Port Support
@ 2005-12-14 16:00         ` Trev Jackson
From: Trev Jackson @ 2005-12-14 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

> > Thanks for the answer
> >
> > The snapshot appears to be 46 bytes in size.
>
> Wow... looks like Fabrice stripped down Qemu to its bare minimum during
> the past days ;)
>
> Seriously, probably the script which downloads the CVS version every day
> broke somehow... But I can confirm that it still worked on 2005-12-07,
> though.
>
> > I would be grateful if you would let me know how to download from CVS or
> > how to download the snapshot without it downloading only 46 bytes.
>
> On the Qemu website, on the links page, there's a link to the page which
> also hosts the Qemu CVS. The quick link to the relevant page is probably
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=qemu
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

Hi

I have now downloaded the CVS version of the driver.

I have edited parallel.c and uncommented the #define DEBUG_PARALLEL so that
the parallel port reads and writes are reported.

I have run qemu as follows:

$ qemu -parallel /dev/parport0 -net none -enable-audio -localtime -boot c
windows.img 1>printer.txt

The file printer.txt contains lots of printer port reads and writes i.e. it is
1216 lines long, however I am still getting the "scanner not found" error
from windows.

I believe the scanner driver is expecting the parallel port to be set to EPP,
mode. I don't know enough about the parallel port and the emulation software
to know what it is emulated as at the moment.

From the looks of the file a lot of the reads occur 8 times with the same
value read back all 8 times, so I would guess the code is expecting the value
to change and it isn't so I am not sure if it is a speed problem - although I
wouldn't have thought so because the scanner worked OK on my old 200MHz
computer and  my current computer is more than 10 times faster than that so
the emulation layer shouldn't slow it down that much.

Any further advice would be gratefully received.

Best Regards

Trev