* RE: DomU networking not working with changeset 8333 in xen-unstable
@ 2005-12-13 23:33 Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)
From: Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) @ 2005-12-13 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks.  Does leaving a nics=0 line in cause a failure
or is it gracefully ignored?

@ 2005-12-13 23:57 ` Ewan Mellor
From: Ewan Mellor @ 2005-12-13 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 03:33:48PM -0800, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:

> Thanks.  Does leaving a nics=0 line in cause a failure
> or is it gracefully ignored?

You get "Warning: The nics option is deprecated.  Please remove it." and then
domain creation proceeds as you would expect.

If you have a nics=1 entry, then you get

Warning: The nics option is deprecated.  Please use an empty vif entry instead:

  vif = [ '' ]

and then the domain creation continues with 1 vif, just as it would have done
last week.

The only incompatibility is if you have specified neither a nics option nor a
vif line.  In this case, last week you would have got 1 random vif -- now you
get no vifs.

Ewan.

* Re: DomU networking not working with changeset 8333 in xen-unstable
@ 2005-12-13 23:32 ` Ewan Mellor
From: Ewan Mellor @ 2005-12-13 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-13 23:24 Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)
From: Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) @ 2005-12-13 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do you specify nics=0 now?

Thanks,
Dan

* Re: DomU networking not working with changeset 8333 in xen-unstable
@ 2005-12-13 16:02 ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2005-12-13 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David F Barrera; +Cc: xen-devel

On 13 Dec 2005, at 15:31, David F Barrera wrote:

> I am testing with changeset 8333 from xen-unstable, and networking on
> any on my domUs is not working. Yesterday, with changeset 8320,
> everything was normal.

Maybe you need to add a line 'vif = [ '' ]' to your domain config files?

  -- Keir

* Re: DomU networking not working with changeset 8333 in xen-unstable
@ 2005-12-13 15:49 ` Ewan Mellor
From: Ewan Mellor @ 2005-12-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David F Barrera; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:31:53AM -0600, David F Barrera wrote:

> I am testing with changeset 8333 from xen-unstable, and networking on
> any on my domUs is not working. Yesterday, with changeset 8320,
> everything was normal.

The nics= option in the configuration file was deprecated yesterday.  If
previously you just had nics=1, then you now need vif=[''].  If you are still
having trouble, please post your xm create configuration files.

There were also changes to the netfront driver, the vif-nat script,
vif-common.sh yesterday, so networking may be affected by those changes also.

If this is a migration-specific networking issue, there was a change yesterday
to increase security on the migration socket, also.

Ewan.

* DomU networking not working with changeset 8333 in xen-unstable
@ 2005-12-13 15:31 David F Barrera
From: David F Barrera @ 2005-12-13 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I am testing with changeset 8333 from xen-unstable, and networking on
any on my domUs is not working. Yesterday, with changeset 8320,
everything was normal.

David F Barrera
Linux Technology Center
Systems and Technology Group, IBM

"The wisest men follow their own direction. "
                                                        Euripides