* cg-clean, cg-status improvements
@ 2006-02-14 15:28 Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2006-02-14 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Baudis, git

Hello, Petr!

Is cogito 0.17 going to require git 1.2.0?  If so, I'm ready to submit a
patch for cg-clean that would use the fixed functionality of git
regarding ignores when run in subdirectories (commit
701ca744e386c2429ca44072ea987bbb4bdac7ce).  I think cg-status can be
improved as well.

If cogito 0.17 is not going to require git 1.2.0, I'm ready to add a
temporary workaround for older versions of git.

The problem with cg-clean right now is that it removes contents of
untracked directories by default, which makes it pointless to keep the
directories.  I submitted a patch for that, but it it wasn't noticed.
Anyway, I can do it better now.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: cg-clean, cg-status improvements
@ 2006-02-14 15:53 ` Petr Baudis
From: Petr Baudis @ 2006-02-14 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: git

  Hello,

Dear diary, on Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 04:28:19PM CET, I got a letter
where Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org> said that...
> Hello, Petr!
>
> Is cogito 0.17 going to require git 1.2.0?  If so, I'm ready to submit a
> patch for cg-clean that would use the fixed functionality of git
> regarding ignores when run in subdirectories (commit
> 701ca744e386c2429ca44072ea987bbb4bdac7ce).  I think cg-status can be
> improved as well.
>
> If cogito 0.17 is not going to require git 1.2.0, I'm ready to add a
> temporary workaround for older versions of git.

  I didn't plan to require git 1.2.0 with 0.17, so it would be better if
you could do the workaround. But if the workaround means significant
hassle, it's no biggie if git 1.2.0 will be required.

> The problem with cg-clean right now is that it removes contents of
> untracked directories by default, which makes it pointless to keep the
> directories.  I submitted a patch for that, but it it wasn't noticed.
> Anyway, I can do it better now.

  Hmm, strange, I really did not notice the patch. Well, I'm certainly
interested.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/

* Re: cg-clean, cg-status improvements
@ 2006-02-14 18:17   ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2006-02-14 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Baudis; +Cc: git

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 16:53 +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
>   I didn't plan to require git 1.2.0 with 0.17, so it would be better if
> you could do the workaround. But if the workaround means significant
> hassle, it's no biggie if git 1.2.0 will be required.

It turns out a proper workaround can only be implemented in cg-Xlib, not
in cg-clean.  It's a bit hairy for my taste (a bash guru could write it
better, I believe), but it's a compact blob of code that can be easily
removed at any time.

The patches have been sent by StGIT.

@ 2006-02-14 23:02     ` Petr Baudis
From: Petr Baudis @ 2006-02-14 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: git

Dear diary, on Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 07:17:12PM CET, I got a letter
where Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org> said that...
> On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 16:53 +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
> >   I didn't plan to require git 1.2.0 with 0.17, so it would be better if
> > you could do the workaround. But if the workaround means significant
> > hassle, it's no biggie if git 1.2.0 will be required.
>
> It turns out a proper workaround can only be implemented in cg-Xlib, not
> in cg-clean.  It's a bit hairy for my taste (a bash guru could write it
> better, I believe), but it's a compact blob of code that can be easily
> removed at any time.

Wow, how you managed to simplify and shrink cg-clean sounds really
impressive! :)

Thanks, both applied and pushed out.