* scheduler question 2.6.16.x
@ 2006-04-25 18:05 Nick Warne
From: Nick Warne @ 2006-04-25 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

I see in menuconfig I have two options:

<*> Anticipatory I/O scheduler
<*> Deadline I/O scheduler

Help reveals Anticipatory is pretty good, but make a slightly larger kernel -
Deadline help says it a good alternative to Anticipatory.

But I can build both in... so I guess then the kernel decides what is the best
to use?  Or should it be so I am only allowed to select one or the other and
allowing both is an oversight?

Thanks,

Nick
--
"Person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt person doing it."
-Chinese Proverb

* Re: scheduler question 2.6.16.x
@ 2006-04-25 18:15 ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2006-04-25 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Warne; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Apr 25 2006, Nick Warne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I see in menuconfig I have two options:
>
> <*> Anticipatory I/O scheduler
> <*> Deadline I/O scheduler
>
> Help reveals Anticipatory is pretty good, but make a slightly larger
> kernel - Deadline help says it a good alternative to Anticipatory.
>
> But I can build both in... so I guess then the kernel decides what is
> the best to use?  Or should it be so I am only allowed to select one
> or the other and allowing both is an oversight?

See the option no more than two lines down from that, default io
scheduler. Also see Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt and/or
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt (elevator=) section.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: scheduler question 2.6.16.x
@ 2006-04-25 18:33   ` Nick Warne
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Warne @ 2006-04-25 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 19:15, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > But I can build both in... so I guess then the kernel decides what is
> > the best to use?  Or should it be so I am only allowed to select one
> > or the other and allowing both is an oversight?
>
> See the option no more than two lines down from that, default io
> scheduler. Also see Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt and/or
> Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt (elevator=) section.

Hi Jens,

I haven't got the switching-sched.txt, although I found a sched-design.txt...
but what I meant was if I select whatever default, do/can I still need to
select either/or scheduler?

i.e. why doesn't 'default selection option' only allow that scheduler to be
selected?

Nick
--

@ 2006-04-25 18:51     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2006-04-25 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Warne; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Apr 25 2006, Nick Warne wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 April 2006 19:15, Jens Axboe wrote:
>
> > > But I can build both in... so I guess then the kernel decides what is
> > > the best to use?  Or should it be so I am only allowed to select one
> > > or the other and allowing both is an oversight?
> >
> > See the option no more than two lines down from that, default io
> > scheduler. Also see Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt and/or
> > Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt (elevator=) section.
>
> Hi Jens,
>
> I haven't got the switching-sched.txt, although I found a
> sched-design.txt...  but what I meant was if I select whatever
> default, do/can I still need to select either/or scheduler?
>
> i.e. why doesn't 'default selection option' only allow that scheduler
> to be selected?

I don't understand your question, but here's how it works. You can
select as many/few schedulers as you want. You can only set a scheduler
default, if it's compiled in (y, not m). If you don't select any
schedulers, noop is still selected and wil be the default.

Just try the options, you'll see how they work...

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: scheduler question 2.6.16.x
@ 2006-04-26 18:09     ` Andre Tomt
From: Andre Tomt @ 2006-04-26 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Nick Warne, Jens Axboe

Nick Warne wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 April 2006 19:15, Jens Axboe wrote:
>
>>> But I can build both in... so I guess then the kernel decides what is
>>> the best to use?  Or should it be so I am only allowed to select one
>>> or the other and allowing both is an oversight?
>> See the option no more than two lines down from that, default io
>> scheduler. Also see Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt and/or
>> Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt (elevator=) section.
>
> Hi Jens,
>
> I haven't got the switching-sched.txt, although I found a sched-design.txt...
> but what I meant was if I select whatever default, do/can I still need to
> select either/or scheduler?
>
> i.e. why doesn't 'default selection option' only allow that scheduler to be
> selected?

That would be a artificial (and silly!) limit - the io-scheduler is
pluggable and selectable at boot, you can even change it at run time at
a per block device level.

See the elevator= boot option and /sys/block/<device>/queue/scheduler

* Re: scheduler question 2.6.16.x
@ 2006-04-26 18:33       ` Nick Warne
From: Nick Warne @ 2006-04-26 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Tomt; +Cc: linux-kernel, Jens Axboe

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 19:09, Andre Tomt wrote:

> > i.e. why doesn't 'default selection option' only allow that scheduler to
> > be selected?
>
> That would be a artificial (and silly!) limit - the io-scheduler is
> pluggable and selectable at boot, you can even change it at run time at
> a per block device level.
>
> See the elevator= boot option and /sys/block/<device>/queue/scheduler

Ohh!  I see.  That is what I was sort of asking (but didn't know what
precisely to ask)... OK thanks, understand now.

Nick

--

@ 2006-04-27 21:39     ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2006-04-27 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Warne; +Cc: linux-kernel

Nick Warne wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 April 2006 19:15, Jens Axboe wrote:
>
>>> But I can build both in... so I guess then the kernel decides what is
>>> the best to use?  Or should it be so I am only allowed to select one
>>> or the other and allowing both is an oversight?
>> See the option no more than two lines down from that, default io
>> scheduler. Also see Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt and/or
>> Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt (elevator=) section.
>
> Hi Jens,
>
> I haven't got the switching-sched.txt, although I found a sched-design.txt...
> but what I meant was if I select whatever default, do/can I still need to
> select either/or scheduler?
>
> i.e. why doesn't 'default selection option' only allow that scheduler to be
> selected?

Not clear is you mean "allow that to the the only selection" which it
does, or "only allow that selection" which makes no sense, you can boot
using any compiled scheduler.

My configuration for beverage is set to "cask conditioned IPA" but I
have most of the "Microbrewed" selections for IPA, PA, Stout and Porter
compiled in. The "bland American and imported brews" section is
disabled, with "water" enabled as a module.

The preference is what you use by default, but not an irrevocable choice.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)