* "Modern" Printers??
@ 2006-06-23 19:16 Hal MacArgle
From: Hal MacArgle @ 2006-06-23 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Greetings: A neighbour gave me a HP LaserJet 4L printer and an extra
toner cart.. Heretofore I've had nothing but impact printers, not
knowing what I was going to get into with this machine.. (I've been
helping him with some hardware problems.)

It does work sending plain text to the machine as long as I use
'todos' to add the required carriage return.. However, I thought I'd
hit the Web and get the proper __escape__ commands... Wow!!! That
word isn't even used anymore it seems..

A2PS, Enscript, PPD files, Foomatic, etc; all I want or need to do is
set the margins, font pitch and font type.. I see nothing listed, so
far, that addresses such "simple" things..

The machine uses the PCL5E command set but, apparently, this is not
the same animal as the old escape codes.. No actual manual available;
of course. :^(..

Will my learning curve ever flatten?? TIA and appreciate any
suggestions or comments..

--

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV/US - Slackware GNU/Linux 10.1   (2.4.29)
.

* Re: "Modern" Printers??
@ 2006-06-24  8:28 ` Richard Adams
From: Richard Adams @ 2006-06-24  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: haltec; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Friday 23 June 2006 19:16, Hal MacArgle wrote:

> A neighbour gave me a HP LaserJet 4L printer

What about this URL;

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_4L

Or type; "HP LaserJet 4L" in google.

Regards.
-

* Re: "Modern" Printers??
@ 2006-06-24  9:51 ` Carl
From: Carl @ 2006-06-24  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: haltec, linux-newbie

You'll want to look at http://hplip.sourceforge.net/

--
Carl

-

* Re: "Modern" Printers??
@ 2006-06-24 15:23   ` Hal MacArgle
From: Hal MacArgle @ 2006-06-24 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Adams; +Cc: linux-newbie

On 06-24, Richard Adams wrote:
> On Friday 23 June 2006 19:16, Hal MacArgle wrote:
>
> > A neighbour gave me a HP LaserJet 4L printer
>
> What about this URL;
>
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_4L
>
> Or type; "HP LaserJet 4L" in google.
>
> Regards.

	Greetings Richard and thanks:

	Tried several times and the URL returned a 404.. Direct to HP
via and around Google; it seems that printer is no longer supported
by anyone for what I need.. HP says the manual no longer available
either..

	Thanks again es vy 73..

--

@ 2006-06-25 14:35     ` mike
From: mike @ 2006-06-25 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:23:19 -0400
Hal MacArgle <haltec@kvinet.com> wrote:

> On 06-24, Richard Adams wrote:
> > On Friday 23 June 2006 19:16, Hal MacArgle wrote:
> >
> > > A neighbour gave me a HP LaserJet 4L printer
> >
> > What about this URL;
> >
> > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_4L
> >
> > Or type; "HP LaserJet 4L" in google.
> >
> > Regards.
>
> 	Greetings Richard and thanks:
>
> 	Tried several times and the URL returned a 404.. Direct to HP
> via and around Google; it seems that printer is no longer supported
> by anyone for what I need.. HP says the manual no longer available
> either..

http://www.nefec.org/UPM/printers/mhp4l.htm
http://www.nefec.org/UPM/ccPCLfrm.htm

Not much but some info.

Mike
-

* Re: "Modern" Printers??
@ 2006-06-25 18:00     ` Richard Adams
From: Richard Adams @ 2006-06-25 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: haltec; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Saturday 24 June 2006 15:23, Hal MacArgle wrote:
>         Greetings Richard and thanks:
>
>         Tried several times and the URL returned a 404.. Direct to HP
> via and around Google; it seems that printer is no longer supported
> by anyone for what I need.. HP says the manual no longer available
> either..
>
>         Thanks again es vy 73..

It should work, dows here, anyway you can do the following;

http://linuxprinting.org
click on
"printer listing page"
Select your printer and hit "show"

Works for me ok...

73's..

-

* Re: "Modern" Printers??
@ 2006-06-25 18:40       ` Hal MacArgle
From: Hal MacArgle @ 2006-06-25 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On 06-25, Richard Adams wrote:
> On Saturday 24 June 2006 15:23, Hal MacArgle wrote:
> >         Greetings Richard and thanks:
> >
> >         Tried several times and the URL returned a 404.. Direct to HP
> > via and around Google; it seems that printer is no longer supported
> > by anyone for what I need.. HP says the manual no longer available
> > either..
> >
> >         Thanks again es vy 73..
>
> It should work, dows here, anyway you can do the following;
>
> http://linuxprinting.org
> click on
> "printer listing page"
> Select your printer and hit "show"
>
> Works for me ok...
>
> 73's..

	I was too impatient. Sorry.. Both OK. I suspect the original
URL try was during loaded server time.. HI..

	The printer is definately "obsolete" by HP but we don't let
things like that bother us, eh?? <grin>

	I have all the info I need but still can't use it as
originally intended because sending command data to the printer
automatically invokes a built in formfeed that upsets everything..
I'm still on the drawing board... Meanwhile I'm learning lots. Thanks
again. 73..

--

@ 2006-06-25 18:44       ` Hal MacArgle
From: Hal MacArgle @ 2006-06-25 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike; +Cc: linux-newbie

On 06-25, mike@kevino.org wrote:

> http://www.nefec.org/UPM/printers/mhp4l.htm
> http://www.nefec.org/UPM/ccPCLfrm.htm
>
> Not much but some info.
>
> Mike

	Greetings and thanks Mike.. The mhp4l.htm file had some
things that I didn't know so; every little bit helps.. The
ccPCLfrm.htm wasn't in evidence but I'll try again.. I've been known
to type stuff wrong. <grin>

	I have to wade thru the archives too but, so far, I've seen
many pertinent posts but no real answers.. It'll take some time..

	Thanks again,