* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-25 15:24 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2006-06-25 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Rafaе┌ Cygnarowski"; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello.

Rafaе┌ Cygnarowski wrote:
> There is no problem with DOS, DosEMU or Samba locking.
Why? I tried the test program you pointed
http://www.burtonsys.com/download/TESTLOCK.ZIP
and it fails on any lredired drives, even the local ones
(on ext3 volumes).
It works properly only with the hdimage drives under dosemu.
I wouldn't call this a normal - dosemu should support the
locking on an lredired drives when the underlaying FS supports
them, but right now it doesn't.
OK, your puzzle seems too difficult to me. :)
1. It is possible to use tcp/ip under dosemu and msclient
supports it over ndis, but because odinsup is incompatible
with pdether, you can't use it. Whether it is possible to
use odihlp, is unclear.
2. It is possible to use ipx under dosemu and msclient supports
it over ipxodi, but in that case I wonder whether it is
possible to make samba to use IPX (it is possible with windows
though, and I beleive this is the way people actually use the
msclient under dosemu). So you probably won't use that too.
3. It is possible to use the linux client, and even though
smbfs doesn't support locking, the CIFSfs does. But then dosemu
doesn't support locking on the lredired drives, as your test
program and older postings to this list show.

I think the last way is more realistic than the first two.
There was some work on implementing the locking in dosemu,
but it probably have died.

-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-25 15:54 ` Rafał Cygnarowski
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-25 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stas Sergeev; +Cc: linux-msdos

> > There is no problem with DOS, DosEMU or Samba locking.
>
> Why? I tried the test program you pointed
> http://www.burtonsys.com/download/TESTLOCK.ZIP
> and it fails on any lredired drives, even the local ones
> (on ext3 volumes).
> It works properly only with the hdimage drives under dosemu.
You should test with /auto2 ;) - so it doesn't work in this case either... But
who runs more than one DOS on one computer? So, this case can be treated as
unnormal and tricky and should be ommited.

> I wouldn't call this a normal - dosemu should support the
> locking on an lredired drives when the underlaying FS supports
> them, but right now it doesn't.
Ok, it's sucks... and that's why I try to move problem out from dosemu to
network software where it realy works (tested with Novell Netware 3.12).

> OK, your puzzle seems too difficult to me. :)
> 1. It is possible to use tcp/ip under dosemu and msclient
> supports it over ndis, but because odinsup is incompatible
> with pdether, you can't use it. Whether it is possible to
> use odihlp, is unclear.
right...

> 2. It is possible to use ipx under dosemu and msclient supports
> it over ipxodi, but in that case I wonder whether it is
> possible to make samba to use IPX (it is possible with windows
> though, and I beleive this is the way people actually use the
> msclient under dosemu). So you probably won't use that too.
AFAIK Samba supports only NetBIOS over TCP/IP :(

> 3. It is possible to use the linux client, and even though
> smbfs doesn't support locking, the CIFSfs does. But then dosemu
> doesn't support locking on the lredired drives, as your test
> program and older postings to this list show.
>
> I think the last way is more realistic than the first two.
> There was some work on implementing the locking in dosemu,
> but it probably have died.
I have no time and I can't take risk of new features :(

Maybe I just expect to much...
--
Rafał Cygnarowski
rafi@pers.pl

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-26 16:54   ` Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2006-06-26 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafał Cygnarowski; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello.

Rafał Cygnarowski wrote:
>> It works properly only with the hdimage drives under dosemu.
> You should test with /auto2 ;) - so it doesn't work in this case either... But
> who runs more than one DOS on one computer? So, this case can be treated as
> unnormal and tricky and should be ommited.
Yes - obviously this test is not supposed to work that
way. It could be better if dosemu enforced an exclusive
access to hdimages, so that such a "tests" to became
completely impossible. Otherwise you have to run scandisk
on the hdimages after such a things. So I'd say with
hdimages everything works as expected (except that dosemu
doesn't enforce an exclusive access to the image files).

> Ok, it's sucks... and that's why I try to move problem out from dosemu to
> network software where it realy works (tested with Novell Netware 3.12).
What exactly works on Novell Netware here?

>> with pdether, you can't use it. Whether it is possible to
>> use odihlp, is unclear.
> right...
OK, I think now it is rather clear. I've found what's the
odihlp actually is:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win98/reskit/part3/wrkc17.mspx?mfr=true
---
Msodisup.vxd is the ODI support layer that maps NDIS 3.1 and later
protocols to an ODI driver, and Odihlp.exe is the real-mode stub that
allows LSL to complete its binding process in real mode.
---
I don't think they are joking. So, contrary to what you can
find elsewhere in the net, odihlp is a pure nothing without
msodisup.386. dosemu can run win31, but the vxd/386 drivers
do not work, so this is not an option too.

>> I think the last way is more realistic than the first two.
>> There was some work on implementing the locking in dosemu,
>> but it probably have died.
> I have no time and I can't take risk of new features :(
I think this is a completely wrong attitude. That software is
free and without any warranty, no matter whether someone call
it stable or experimental. Only you can make sure that it suits
your needs. I am using a lot of the free software in the
mission-critical environment too, but I test it to death and
flood the developers with bug-reports, before anything else.
If they can address all my problems quickly, then I use it.
But as the result, I have to use the CVS snapshots where my
problems are addressed, and of course that suits my needs
much better than anything they call stable.
Quite surprisingly, I was lucky with that - usually the free
software is supported quite well. But you are out of luck - the
samba developers won't add IPX for you, as well as the dosemu
developers most likely won't add the locking for you, but it
is still the possibility, and the only one existing, I suspect.

-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-26 17:52     ` Rafał Cygnarowski
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-26 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stas Sergeev, linux-msdos

> > Ok, it's sucks... and that's why I try to move problem out from dosemu to
> > network software where it realy works (tested with Novell Netware 3.12).
>
> What exactly works on Novell Netware here?
I have similar configurations elsewhere. I use DosEMU + Novell Client to run
sales program (based on clarion database). So locks works as they are
expected to work.

[...]
> I don't think they are joking. So, contrary to what you can
> find elsewhere in the net, odihlp is a pure nothing without
> msodisup.386. dosemu can run win31, but the vxd/386 drivers
> do not work, so this is not an option too.
so that's clear now...

> > I have no time and I can't take risk of new features :(
> I think this is a completely wrong attitude. [...]
Maybe... I can risk some unstability (and I'm doing this just becouse of
choosing DosEmu instead of separate computer with DOS) but I can't risk data
lost (at least not too much).

--
Rafał Cygnarowski
rafi@pers.pl

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-26 18:10       ` Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2006-06-26 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafał Cygnarowski; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello.

Rafał Cygnarowski wrote:
> I have similar configurations elsewhere. I use DosEMU + Novell Client to run
> sales program (based on clarion database). So locks works as they are
> expected to work.
I see. But for the msclient there is no way, so you'll
have to somehow deal with the dosemu locks at that point
(which are not).

> Maybe... I can risk some unstability (and I'm doing this just becouse of
> choosing DosEmu instead of separate computer with DOS) but I can't risk data
> lost (at least not too much).
That's why the testing is due before running it on a
mission-critical data. If your data is so critical that
you can't even trust your own testing, then I guess
the software without a warranty is a bad choice for you. :)
Obviously you can't trust dosemu being called stable.
Have you seen dosemu-1.0.0 or 1.0.2? They were called "stable"...

-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-26 18:14         ` Rafał Cygnarowski
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-26 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stas Sergeev; +Cc: linux-msdos

> > Maybe... I can risk some unstability (and I'm doing this just becouse of
> > choosing DosEmu instead of separate computer with DOS) but I can't risk
> > data lost (at least not too much).
>
> That's why the testing is due before running it on a
> mission-critical data. If your data is so critical that
> you can't even trust your own testing, then I guess
> the software without a warranty is a bad choice for you. :)
> Obviously you can't trust dosemu being called stable.
> Have you seen dosemu-1.0.0 or 1.0.2? They were called "stable"...

I'm using dosemu sice 0.64 (or sth..).

--
Rafał Cygnarowski
rafi@pers.pl

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-26 18:27           ` Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2006-06-26 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafał Cygnarowski; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello.

Rafał Cygnarowski wrote:
>> Have you seen dosemu-1.0.0 or 1.0.2? They were called "stable"...
> I'm using dosemu sice 0.64 (or sth..).
Well, these were the betas (worked rather well though).
I mentioned 1.0.x because they were the first ones called
stable, and...

-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-26 18:33     ` Alain M.
From: Alain M. @ 2006-06-26 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stas Sergeev, dosEmu-list

Stas Sergeev escreveu:
> It could be better if dosemu enforced an exclusive
> access to hdimages, so that such a "tests" to became
> completely impossible. Otherwise you have to run scandisk
> on the hdimages after such a things.

Is this possible at all? I believe this is important to avoid accidental
destruction of data!

 >> I have no time and I can't take risk of new features  :(
 > I think this is a completely wrong attitude. [...]

Well, He *is* axpending quite a lot of time on this :)

Alain

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-26 19:11       ` Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2006-06-26 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain M.; +Cc: dosEmu-list

Hello.

Alain M. wrote:
>> It could be better if dosemu enforced an exclusive
>> access to hdimages, so that such a "tests" to became
>> completely impossible. Otherwise you have to run scandisk
>> on the hdimages after such a things.
> Is this possible at all?
What? Set the lock to the hdimage file to prevent it from
being opened by the multiple dosemu instances? Of course
it is possible.

> I believe this is important to avoid accidental
> destruction of data!
You can create the patch then. :)

>>> I have no time and I can't take risk of new features  :(
>> I think this is a completely wrong attitude. [...]
> Well, He *is* axpending quite a lot of time on this :)
My interpretation was "I don't have time for testing and
I can't risk, so even if someone will implement the locking
for me, I won't use it". That kind of attitude I really don't
understand. Of course no one will implement the locking most
likely, but be that happened and not accepted to try - that
would be not funny at all. :) I've seen people who ask for
something and then refuse to try the solution, and I don't
think they are ever dealt with again. (so this case is much
better: at least it is known beforehand that the solution
won't be tried, so the problem won't arise. :)

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-26 19:52         ` Rafał Cygnarowski
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-26 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stas Sergeev, Alain M., dosEmu-list

> My interpretation was "I don't have time for testing and
> I can't risk, so even if someone will implement the locking
> for me, I won't use it". That kind of attitude I really don't
> understand. Of course no one will implement the locking most
> likely, but be that happened and not accepted to try - that
> would be not funny at all. :)
You understood my intentions wrong but it was my fault.
My english is not perfect and sometimes I just makes my
answares shorter than they should be. What I wanted to
say was that at THIS moment I have to find other way to
solve my problem instead of waiting for some good folk
who at swift put some lock code into dosemu.

Rafał Cygnarowski
rafi@pers.pl

PS. It would be superb if dosemu could have build-in
NDIS driver as it's in packet driver case (another
good wish ;)
-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-27  1:36         ` Alain M.
From: Alain M. @ 2006-06-27  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stas Sergeev, dosEmu-list

Stas Sergeev escreveu:
> What? Set the lock to the hdimage file to prevent it from
> being opened by the multiple dosemu instances? Of course
> it is possible.

Sorry, my Linux knowledge is not all that much. I come from DOS world ;-)

>>> I think this is a completely wrong attitude. [...]

Well Stas, as you don't receive this list's messages you haven seen that
in fact he has been trying for a long time...

-----from other messages----

Rafał Cygnarowski wrote:
 > I have similar configurations elsewhere. I use DosEMU + Novell Client
to run sales program (based on clarion database). So locks works as they
are expected to work.

Why don't you use that configuration for this case? You said somewhere
that you already use ??Mars (Novell server for Linux)...

BTW, do you have a tutorial on that configuration?

Alain

-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-27  6:14           ` Rafał Cygnarowski
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-27  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain M.; +Cc: Stas Sergeev, dosEmu-list

>> I have similar configurations elsewhere. I use DosEMU + Novell Client
>> to run sales program (based on clarion database). So locks works as they
>> are expected to work.
>
> Why don't you use that configuration for this case? You said somewhere
> that you already use ??Mars (Novell server for Linux)...
Becouse this time there is already MS Windows 2003 Server which carry
databases.

> BTW, do you have a tutorial on that configuration?
AFAIR it's in "The dosemu HOWTO: dosemu and Netware"
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DOSEMU-HOWTO-6.html

Rafał Cygnarowski
rafi@pers.pl
-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-27 16:23             ` Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2006-06-27 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafał Cygnarowski; +Cc: Alain M., dosEmu-list

Hello.

Rafał Cygnarowski wrote:
> Becouse this time there is already MS Windows 2003 Server which carry
> databases.
If there is a Win2003 server and not the samba server
as you claimed before, then why you don't simply use IPX?

-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-27 23:04               ` Rafał Cygnarowski
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-27 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stas Sergeev; +Cc: Alain M., dosEmu-list

Dnia wtorek, 27 czerwca 2006 18:23, Stas Sergeev napisał:
> Hello.
>
> Rafał Cygnarowski wrote:
> > Becouse this time there is already MS Windows 2003 Server which carry
> > databases.
>
> If there is a Win2003 server and not the samba server
> as you claimed before, then why you don't simply use IPX?

I stoped using IPX on Win2003 server becouse IPX generate delays of some
services which were confused which protocol to use, and unfortunatelly I
couldn't set them to use TCP/IP by default.

--
Rafał Cygnarowski
rafi@pers.pl

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-28 16:31           ` Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2006-06-28 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafał Cygnarowski; +Cc: Alain M., dosEmu-list

Hello.

Rafał Cygnarowski wrote:
> say was that at THIS moment I have to find other way to
> solve my problem instead of waiting for some good folk
> who at swift put some lock code into dosemu.
OK, the other way: steal the ne2k emulation code from qemu
and compile it with dosemu. Some adjustments might be needed,
but not too much. That will solve all of the like problems
for good.

-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-28 17:16             ` Alain M.
From: Alain M. @ 2006-06-28 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stas Sergeev, dosEmu-list

Stas Sergeev escreveu:
> OK, the other way: steal the ne2k emulation code from qemu
> and compile it with dosemu. Some adjustments might be needed,
> but not too much. That will solve all of the like problems
> for good.

That would be very neat. Very good idea!! I just hope that someone does
it ;-)

Alain
PS and thanks to Stallman too for the GPL :)

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-24 22:56     ` Rafał Cygnarowski
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-24 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stas Sergeev, linux-msdos

> Rafał Cygnarowski wrote:
> > Honestly... I will not care about Waterloo TCP/IP unless there be some
> > samba client which uses packet driver :( Do you know such client? Or how
> > to connect to samba server using eg. LanManager?
>
> I think the only way is what you are already trying -
> odihlp. I looked up a couple of your messages but haven't
> found how it fails for you. The only problem I can remember
> getting it to work myself was that it required the very latest
> version of pdether which was difficult to find in the net.

I found it: pdether v1.05 - pde105.zip somewhere... :)
I don't remember now where.

My tries (current tries):

A. Environment:

- MSClient from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/Clients/MSCLIENT
- dosemu-1.3.3-1.i686
- kernel-2.6.16.20-1.athlon
- guest OS: MS-DOS 6.20
- pdether v1.05
- lsl.com v2.20 from Novell Client for DOS
(http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/downloads/dw271e.zip)
- odihlp.exe from Windows for Workgroups 3.11

B. How it is started?

1. config.sys content:

DEVICE=C:\NET\ifshlp.sys
DEVICE=C:\NET\PROTMAN.DOS /i:C:\NET
REM - in normal situation here should be NDIS driver loaded
DEVICE=C:\NET\nemm.dos
DEVICE=C:\NET\tcpdrv.dos /i:C:\NET

and output produced:
Microsoft DOS TCP/IP NEMM Driver 1.0
Microsoft DOS TCP/IP Protocol Driver 1.0a
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation, 1991.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) Hewlett-Packard Corporation, 1985-1991.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 3Com Corporation, 1985-1991.  All rights reserved.

2. c:\net\net initialize
The command completed successfully.

3. c:\net\lsl
Novell Link Support Layer for DOS ODI  v2.20 (960401)
(c) Copyright 1990 - 1996, by Novell, Inc. All rights reserved.

BUFFERS 8 1600
The configuration file used was "C:\NET\NET.CFG".
Max Boards 4, Max Stacks 4
Buffers 8, Buffer size 1600 bytes, Memory pool 0 bytes.

4. c:\net\pdether
Ethernet Packet Driver MLID, v1.05, built Mar 20 1995 at 12:55:52
PDEther installed successfully.

5. c:\net\odihlp.exe
Microsoft WorkGroups ODI/NDIS3 Mapper Version 1.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1993
  Powiązany z adapterem: PDETHER

6. c:\net\netbind.com
MS-DOS LAN Manager v2.1 Netbind
Error: 33 Unable to bind.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And here problem starts. Acording to
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1998090116540425
it's some kind of problem with my config files. Document above describes error
messages for netbind.exe which comes from another software - I hope these
messages are equal.

C. Config files

1. c:\net\net.cfg

Link Support
	Buffers 8 1600
Link Driver PDETHER
	Int 60
	Frame Ethernet_II
	Protocol IP 800 Ethernet_II
	Protocol ARP 806 Ethernet_II
	Protocol RARP 8035 Ethernet_II

2. c:\net\protocol.ini

[network.setup]
version=0x3110
netcard=ms$odimac,1,MS$ODIMAC,4
transport=ms$ndishlp,MS$NDISHLP
transport=tcpip,TCPIP
lana0=ms$odimac,1,ms$ndishlp
lana1=ms$odimac,1,tcpip

[TCPIP]
NBSessions=6
SubNetMask0=255 0 0 0
IPAddress0=0 0 0 0
DisableDHCP=0
DriverName=TCPIP$
BINDINGS=pdether
LANABASE=1

[protman]
DriverName=PROTMAN$
PRIORITY=MS$NDISHLP

[MS$NDISHLP]
DriverName=ndishlp$
BINDINGS=pdether

[net.cfg]
PATH=C:\net\net.cfg

[MS$ODIMAC]

[pdether]
DriverName=PDETHER$

[Link Driver PDETHER]
data=Frame Ethernet_II
data=Link Driver PDETHER

3. c:\net\system.ini

[network]
sizworkbuf=1498
filesharing=no
printsharing=no
autologon=yes
computername=TESTER
lanroot=C:\NET
username=TESTER
workgroup=WORKGROUP
reconnect=yes
dospophotkey=N
lmlogon=0
logondomain=WORKGROUP
preferredredir=full
autostart=full
maxconnections=8

[network drivers]
; netcard=elnk.dos -- original driver
transport=ndishlp.sys,tcpdrv.dos,nemm.dos
devdir=C:\NET
LoadRMDrivers=yes

[386enh]
TimerCriticalSection=5000
UniqueDosPSP=TRUE
PSPIncrement=2

[Password Lists]
*Shares=C:\NET\Shares.PWL

--
Rafał Cygnarowski
rafi@pers.pl

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
       [not found] ` <200606242251.28995.zswi@pers.pl>
@ 2006-06-24 21:30   ` Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2006-06-24 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafał Cygnarowski; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello.

@ 2006-06-24 20:00 Stas Sergeev
       [not found] ` <200606242251.28995.zswi@pers.pl>
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2006-06-24 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Rafaе┌ Cygnarowski"; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello.

Rafaе┌ Cygnarowski wrote:
> DosEMU and Samba behaviour. But to use them all at the same time I *MUST* be
> able to run some Samba client under DosEMU. And question is: HOW?! Have
> ANYONE succeed with this?
Calm down, your problem is not with the samba client
but with that you have not set up the tcp/ip properly.
You choose the same address for the DOS client and
the tap device (192.168.1.1, from your first message),
and that can't work.
And before you ask - yes, there *is* an uptodate docs
about that, but they were kept in secret for years. You
won't find them pretty much anywhere in the net - what
you will find is completely wrong and misleading. But
if you get the latest dosemu sources from SVN and
execute "make docs", the chances are it will generate
the real docs for you (you will also have to search the
source tree to find out exactly where it generated it -
the obvious place will still contain an old docs, so do
some searching). Most likely "make docs" will fail though,
as the confidence level of these docs is too high. :)
I really suspect only about 2-3 people know about their
existance.

(CC me with replies, I am not in the list)

-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
       [not found]                         ` <449C62D4.9010204@pobox.com>
@ 2006-06-23 22:22                           ` Rafał Cygnarowski
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-23 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain M., dosEmu-list

> I don't belive that you con run MS-CLIENT in dosemu, there is no driver
> for pkt.

I'm trying to run it in this way (to get NDIS over ODI over PKTDRV):
lsl.com
pdether
odihlp

but here I should call netbind which never binds. I suppose it's my fault
becouse I just don't know what to write to net.cfg, protocol.ini and
system.ini files of MS-CLIENT.

> If you can make it work with a novel server, you could try it :) there
> is an IPX server for Linux. (never tried)
I'm already using MarsNW but this time I can't.

> BTW: FreeDOS is much better then it was... specially in a controled
> environment as dosemu, you could test is (under cntroled conditions)
Maybe... but it does change anything for me now :(
--
Rafał Cygnarowski
rafi@pers.pl

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-23 21:15                       ` Rafał Cygnarowski
       [not found]                         ` <449C62D4.9010204@pobox.com>
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-23 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain M., dosEmu-list

Dnia piątek, 23 czerwca 2006 22:10, Alain M. napisał:
> There is a file locking problem in FreeDOS which I believe that was
> fixed, so i suggest:
>
> 1) use the latest FreeDOS kernel from http://fdos.org/kernel/
> 2) test with MS-DOS. The test you reffer to bellow was with which DOS?

First of all - I use MS-DOS 6.20. FreeDOS is not enought stable for my
installations.

> The problem may not be in dosemu ;-)

There is no problem with DOS, DosEMU or Samba locking. It's just *NORMAL* DOS,

       [not found]                   ` <200606230754.32500.zswi@pers.pl>
@ 2006-06-23 20:10                     ` Alain M.
From: Alain M. @ 2006-06-23 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

Rafał Cygnarowski escreveu:
>>  > Now my problem is to get to those files in a safe way
>
>>  > (which seems to be using smb client under dos - of course end points run
>
>>  > linux so dos have to run under dosemu).
>

>>  Why is it not safe to run samba client under Linux? and doseemu on top
>
>>  of that?
>
> Locks are not "inherited". When dos under dosemu try to lock file or region
>
> of file these locks are not passed to samba server.
>
>>  > I have similar configurations already
>
>>  > running, but I use Novell Netware (and MarsNW) with ipx and Novell
>
>>  > Client. Unfrotunatelly this time I can't use Novell and have to solve
>
>>  > dosemu to samba connectivity problem.
>

>>  What go wrong if you use a linux-samba client on every machine and use
>
>>  dosemu with lredir? Have you tried it?
>
> I use http://www.burtonsys.com/download/TESTLOCK.ZIP for lock tests.
> Results of such solution are below:
>
> test        result   (test description)
>
> -------     -------  -----------------------------------------------------
>
> Test #1     Passed.  (Creating & modifying & deleting files)
>
> Test #2     FAILED!  (Examining & modifying file attributes)
>
> Test #3     FAILED!  (Enforced exclusive access, and share errors)
>
> Test #4     Passed.  (Shared read access to files)
>
> Test #5     FAILED!  (Shared modify access to files)
>
> Test #6     Passed.  (File commit)
>
> Test #7     FAILED!  (File region locking, and lock errors)
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Test #8     not run  (Adjacent region locks, and lock/write conflicts)
>
> Test #9     Passed.  (Appending & verifying new file sizes [NT 3.5 bug])
>
> Test #10    Passed.  (Appending & verifying file sizes w/ closes)
>
> Test #11    Passed.  (Appending & verifying file sizes w/ file commits)
>
> Semaphore   Passed.  (semaphore-file kludge)
>
> Test #3-A   Passed.  (Enforced exclusive access & share errors, 2-session)
>
> Test #5&6-A FAILED!  (Shared modify access & file commit, 2-session)
>
> Test #7-A   FAILED!  (File region locking, 2-session)
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> The same test on the same resource with client directly connected to
> samba (eg. on XP) passes all tests.
>
> --
>
> Rafał Cygnarowski
>
> rafi@pers.pl

-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-23  6:22                   ` Rafał Cygnarowski
       [not found]                   ` <200606230754.32500.zswi@pers.pl>
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-23  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

       [not found]               ` <200606221942.15850.zswi@pers.pl>
@ 2006-06-22 22:14                 ` Alain M.
       [not found]                   ` <200606230754.32500.zswi@pers.pl>
From: Alain M. @ 2006-06-22 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

Rafał Cygnarowski escreveu:
>>> Of course it works, but not when fs is redistributed. That's the point!
>>> To avoid redistribution I have to run smb client under dosemu and problem
>>> I have is to run it at all.
>> So here is what I don't understand: what is "when fs is redistributed"?
>>
>> I assume you have a samba server with the files and a samba client on
>> your machine, ok?
>
> Yes, I have samba server which shares files (database files) and DOS program
> which uses those files.

So far so good :)

       [not found]           ` <200606221054.52673.zswi@pers.pl>
@ 2006-06-22 16:09             ` Alain M.
       [not found]               ` <200606221942.15850.zswi@pers.pl>
From: Alain M. @ 2006-06-22 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

@ 2006-06-21 22:21           ` Alain M.
       [not found]           ` <200606221054.52673.zswi@pers.pl>
From: Alain M. @ 2006-06-21 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

By pure chance I found this file with info on tuntap and bridge. I am
just adding some commments. This was for Mandriva 2005, may need some
updating.

- TUN/TAP
# rpm -ivh tun-1.1-6.col31.i386.rpm
(it issued some error message, but apparently not important)
# modprobe tun
- in file /etc/modules.conf: add this:
alias char-major-10-200 tun
- get from pbone.net rpm.pbone.net:
# rpm -ivh uml-utilities-20040406-1mdk.i586.rpm
=> there you will find tunctl
- on CD4: /Mandrake/RPMS4/ (update this!)
# rpm -ivh bridge-utils-0.9.6-2mdk.i586.rpm
=> here is brctl, which is the program to configure a bridge

IIRC these programs have readme files...

As I said the script to set it all was lost :(

Alain

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-21 19:06         ` Alain M.
       [not found]           ` <200606221054.52673.zswi@pers.pl>
From: Alain M. @ 2006-06-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

Rafał Cygnarowski escreveu:
>>> It's not so simple :( I just catn't do this that way. Shared resources
>>> are databases witch require file locking. Samba resources are not
>>> redistributable so I can't eg. "lredir" mounted by linux directories...
>> I don't undertand this
> What's unclear for you?

FWIK, locks work with samba and dosemu. Have you tested it? I remember
that it worked ;-)

>> FWIK, there is no driver for MS client that uses packet driver, AND you
>> only have one pkt in doemu.
> That's why I'm looking for help.

it is just my opinion: try to get it working as above and use the packet
driver for wattcp

>> That is not all of it, you have to install a bridge, ebtables and tuntap :(
> Can you point me some good resource describing this? Google returns nothing
> useful for 'tuntap ebtables dosemu'...

In dosemu's manual:
http://dosemu.sourceforge.net/docs/README/1.1.3.7/x991.html
But this is a bit better:
http://www.cs.iitm.ernet.in/~raturi/final/README.html

The problem in fact is not dosemu, you need to have a functional tap0,
that is part of one thing called tuntap. And then to make it work you
will need a bridge, which is closesely related to ebtables.

It took me a long time to learn it, and I lost all of it when all my
machines were stolen...

BTW, use the list for discussion so more people may help ;-)

Alain

-

* Re: tcp/ip + samba + dosemu
@ 2006-06-21  7:15       ` Rafał Cygnarowski
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-21  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

> > It's not so simple :( I just catn't do this that way. Shared resources
> > are databases witch require file locking. Samba resources are not
> > redistributable so I can't eg. "lredir" mounted by linux directories...
>
> I don't undertand this
What's unclear for you?

       [not found]   ` <200606202041.38210.zswi@pers.pl>
@ 2006-06-20 20:49     ` Alain M.
From: Alain M. @ 2006-06-20 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dosEmu-list

@ 2006-06-20 13:08 Rafał Cygnarowski
       [not found] ` <44983A34.4040205@pobox.com>
From: Rafał Cygnarowski @ 2006-06-20 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hi!

I was trying to run samba client under dosemu (I really need it!). I was
trying many combinations without success :( Becouse I need to run database
clarion under dosemu I would like to use LanManager
(ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/Clients/LANMAN/) to connect with samba
resources (I heard that LanManager is best solution for samba under dos).

Also I tried to use Waterloo TCP/IP utils - unfortunatelly without success
either. Results of these tries are below (I suppose these tcp/ip utils will
be useless for me, but even these do not work for me :( ).

-- dosemu.conf network configuration --
$_pktdriver = (on)
$_vnet = "tap"
$_netdev = "tap0"

-- this is how I setting up tap0 --
-bash-3.1# tunctl -t tap0
Set 'tap0' persistent and owned by uid 0
-bash-3.1# ifconfig tap0 192.168.1.1 up
-bash-3.1# ping 192.168.1.1

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 999ms

-- Waterloo configuration --
tcp.cfg
my_ip=192.168.1.1
netmask=255.255.255.0

-- tcpinfo output --
C:\WAT>tcpinfo
Reading Waterloo TCP configuration file.

Ethernet Address : 64:62:b1:90:78:78

IP Address       : 192.168.1.1
Network Mask     : 255.255.255.0

Gateways         : NONE
Cookieserver     : NONE DEFINED

Nameserver       : NONE DEFINED

Domain           : "(null)"
[...]

-- ping output --
C:\WAT>ping 192.168.1.1
Pinging [192.168.1.1]

PING: Cannot resolve host's hardware address

Ping Statistics
Sent        : 1
Received    : 0
Success     : 0 %
There was no response from 192.168.1.1

-- this is how it looks under tcpdump --
[root@honorata etc]# tcpdump -i tap0
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on tap0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
14:44:11.161484 arp who-has 192.168.1.1 tell 192.168.1.1
14:44:11.387501 arp who-has 192.168.1.1 tell 192.168.1.1
14:44:11.662562 arp who-has 192.168.1.1 tell 192.168.1.1
[...]

I'm using "MS-DOS Version 6.20" under dosemu, kernel 2.6.16.20 and
dosemu-1.3.3.

Any help appreciated.
I'm running out of time and ideas :(

--