* [Bluez-devel] RE : A2DP plugin success with HP bluetooth headphones
@ 2006-07-13  6:27 Frederic Dalleau
From: Frederic Dalleau @ 2006-07-13  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development, bluez-devel

Hi Matthew,

> Also, hitting "stop" in beep-media-player (using the alsa output plugin)
> seems to make things unhappy - the next time I hit play, everything
> looks normal, I get plenty of "SBC Bandwidth =" messages and no audio
> appears. The log from hitting stop is:

Could you give it a try with a2dpd plugin and see if these problems remains?
You will not have the same audio quality, but those start/stop problems may disappear.

Thanks,
Frederic

* Re: [Bluez-devel] RE : A2DP plugin success with HP bluetooth headphones
@ 2006-07-13 10:53 ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2006-07-13 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 08:27:43AM +0200, Frederic Dalleau wrote:

> Could you give it a try with a2dpd plugin and see if these problems remains?
> You will not have the same audio quality, but those start/stop problems may disappear.

Ok, that seems better, but the audio quality is pretty dreadful - what
recognisable bits there are are running slightly too slowly, followed by
a brief burst of static.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

* Re: [Bluez-devel] RE : A2DP plugin success with HP bluetooth headphones
@ 2006-07-13 12:37   ` Frédéric DALLEAU
From: Frédéric DALLEAU @ 2006-07-13 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

>>Could you give it a try with a2dpd plugin and see if these problems remai=
ns?
>>You will not have the same audio quality, but those start/stop problems m=
ay disappear.
>>    =

>Ok, that seems better, but the audio quality is pretty dreadful - what =

>recognisable bits there are are running slightly too slowly, followed by =

>a brief burst of static.
>
>  =

Hi, what sort of audio are you sending?
Could you email me a sample?
Do you know if it is 48000hz or 44100 hz. I believe it is 48000 that =

would explain why it is slower. But it should not be that dreadful! What =

is your cpu also?
Thanks,
Fr=E9d=E9ric

* Re: [Bluez-devel] RE : A2DP plugin success with HP bluetooth headphones
@ 2006-07-13 12:43   ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2006-07-13 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Matthew

>> Could you give it a try with a2dpd plugin and see if these problems remains?
>> You will not have the same audio quality, but those start/stop problems may disappear.
>
> Ok, that seems better, but the audio quality is pretty dreadful - what
> recognisable bits there are are running slightly too slowly, followed by
> a brief burst of static.

fwiw, in my experience, the hp set was the least forgiving of timing
problems in our software. it "pops" when frames are too fast and has
even nastier "snaps" when it's so slow that the stream runs dry.

brad

* Re: [Bluez-devel] RE : A2DP plugin success with HP bluetooth headphones
@ 2006-07-13 12:50     ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2006-07-13 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 02:37:29PM +0200, Fr=E9d=E9ric DALLEAU wrote:

> Hi, what sort of audio are you sending?

44.1 KHz MP3 - it doesn't seem to be specific to any file. I'm using =

the ALSA plugin with beep-media-player.

> Do you know if it is 48000hz or 44100 hz. I believe it is 48000 that =

> would explain why it is slower. But it should not be that dreadful! What =

> is your cpu also?

It looks like it should be running at 44.1KHz. This is on a 1.2GHz =

Pentium M. A quick play suggests that it hits the "overslept" codepath =

in a2dpd very frequently - should this be the case?

-- =

Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

* Re: [Bluez-devel] RE : A2DP plugin success with HP bluetooth headphones
@ 2006-07-13 16:37       ` Frédéric DALLEAU
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Frédéric DALLEAU @ 2006-07-13 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi matthew and Brad

>It looks like it should be running at 44.1KHz. This is on a 1.2GHz
>Pentium M. A quick play suggests that it hits the "overslept" codepath
>in a2dpd very frequently - should this be the case?

I don't see which case you talk about? Is that the "more than on sec"?
I should never pass there unless when debugging.

I've updated the online version, give it a try, there is a change in timing.
http://fdalleau.free.fr/btsco.tar.gz

I also have a hp bluetooth headset, I had good sound, not the best but good.

Brad,
I have excellent quality with iPhono BT420
I also tried the hp on arm (I found one) it is recognisable but not good.
I believe it is a kernel timer issue (usleep resolution), any ideas?

@ 2006-07-13 18:01         ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2006-07-13 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Fr=E9d=E9ric

> I've updated the online version, give it a try, there is a change in timi=
ng.
> http://fdalleau.free.fr/btsco.tar.gz

could you do this in your workspace and email the output to the list?

cd btsco
cvs update -d
cvs diff -u

it's extra work for everyone if you have to tar it up and everyone else
has to untar it. cvs is well established for this kind of sharing.

brad

* Re: [Bluez-devel] RE : A2DP plugin success with HP bluetooth headphones
@ 2006-07-13 21:30         ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2006-07-13 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 06:37:42PM +0200, Fr=E9d=E9ric DALLEAU wrote:

> I don't see which case you talk about? Is that the "more than on sec"?
> I should never pass there unless when debugging.

Sorry, the "We're late, do nothing" case.

> I've updated the online version, give it a try, there is a change in timi=
ng.
> http://fdalleau.free.fr/btsco.tar.gz

I'll give that a go later on.

Thanks!
-- =

@ 2006-07-13 23:36         ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2006-07-13 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 06:37:42PM +0200, Fr=E9d=E9ric DALLEAU wrote:

> I also have a hp bluetooth headset, I had good sound, not the best but go=
od.

Ok, it turns out that if I use something other than beep-media-player =

(say Rhythmbox), things work much better. The quality still isn't =

perfect, but it's pretty close to just using the traditional a2dp =

driver. So it's probably something pathological in their alsa plugin.

-- =

Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org