* setting up git-cvsserver
@ 2006-08-01 15:49 Uwe Zeisberger
From: Uwe Zeisberger @ 2006-08-01 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

I cannot checkout a git repo via cvs, I think the only problem is, that
I don't know how to specify the CVSROOT:

fs-n1:~# grep git- /etc/inetd.conf
2402    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/sbin/git-cvsserver pserver

fs-n1:~# GIT_DIR=/data/vcs/git/LxNETES-2.4/bl.git git var -l
core.repositoryformatversion=0
core.filemode=true
gitcvs.enabled=1
GIT_COMMITTER_IDENT=root <root@fs-n1.fsforth.de> 1154447177 +0200
GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT=root <root@fs-n1.fsforth.de> 1154447177 +0200

uzeisberger@io:~$ cvs -d :pserver:fs-c:2402/data/vcs/git/LxNETES-2.4/bl.git login
Logging in to :pserver:uzeisberger@fs-c:2402/data/vcs/git/LxNETES-2.4/bl.git
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: unrecognized auth response from fs-c: Unknown command BEGIN VERIFICATION REQUEST at /usr/local/sbin/git-cvsserver line 132, <STDIN> line 1.
uzeisberger@io:~$ cvs -d :pserver:fs-c:2402/data/vcs/git/LxNETES-2.4/bl.git co master
cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized auth response from fs-c: Unknown command BEGIN AUTH REQUEST at /usr/local/sbin/git-cvsserver line 132, <STDIN> line 1.

cvs version is 1.12.13 (Debian)
git-cvsserver is from v1.4.2-rc2-gbc9e1b8
rest of git is 1.4.0

probably I'm just too stupid to read and understand the docs...

Best regards
Uwe

--
Uwe Zeisberger

cat /*dev/null; echo 'Hello World!';
cat > /dev/null <<*/
() { } int main() { printf("Hello World!\n");}
/* */

* Re: setting up git-cvsserver
@ 2006-08-01 16:23 ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2006-08-01 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Zeisberger; +Cc: git

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Uwe Zeisberger wrote:

> I cannot checkout a git repo via cvs, I think the only problem is, that
> I don't know how to specify the CVSROOT:
>
> fs-n1:~# grep git- /etc/inetd.conf
> 2402    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/sbin/git-cvsserver pserver

>From Documentation/git-cvsserver.txt:

-- snip --
Note: In some cases, you need to pass the 'pserver' argument twice for
git-cvsserver to see it. So the line would look like

------
   cvspserver stream tcp nowait nobody git-cvsserver pserver pserver
-- snap --

So, maybe this solves your problem?

OTOH it might be cleverer to use SSH transport to begin with.

Hth,
Dscho

* Re: setting up git-cvsserver
@ 2006-08-03  8:36   ` Uwe Zeisberger
From: Uwe Zeisberger @ 2006-08-03  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Uwe Zeisberger wrote:
>
> > I cannot checkout a git repo via cvs, I think the only problem is, that
> > I don't know how to specify the CVSROOT:
> >
> > fs-n1:~# grep git- /etc/inetd.conf
> > 2402    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/sbin/git-cvsserver pserver
>
> From Documentation/git-cvsserver.txt:
>
> -- snip --
> Note: In some cases, you need to pass the 'pserver' argument twice for
> git-cvsserver to see it. So the line would look like
>
> ------
>    cvspserver stream tcp nowait nobody git-cvsserver pserver pserver
> -- snap --
>
> So, maybe this solves your problem?
Yes, thanks.  Sorry.  The mail was written in a hurry because I wanted
to reach a bus.

BTW, after reading inetd.conf(5), I think the git-cvsserver should occur
twice, not pserver.  The first (actually the 6th) item specifies the
path to the binary to call and the next it the program name the program
sees (i.e. argv[0] (in C) resp. $0 (in Perl)).

You could circumvent that by testing $0 == "pserver" in git-cvsserver.

> OTOH it might be cleverer to use SSH transport to begin with.
For me not.  I have to convice some managers in my company that it is
sensible to only switch the linux department to git.  They want to
assert that every engineer can access anybodys code.  Because not every
"other" developper has an account on our cvs server anonymous pserver is
what *I* want.

Best regards
Uwe

--