* [ANNOUNCE] udev 098 release
@ 2006-08-22 23:56 Kay Sievers
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Kay Sievers @ 2006-08-22 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Here comes a new udev version. Thanks to everybody who
helped finding bugs or sending fixes.

The tarball can be found here:
  ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug

The development repository can be found here:
  http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=summary

udev 098
====
Bugfixes.

Renaming of some key names (the old names still work):
BUS -> SUBSYSTEMS, ID -> KERNELS, SYSFS -> ATTRS, DRIVER -> DRIVERS.
(The behavior of the key DRIVER will change soon in one of the next
releases, to match only the event device, please switch to DRIVERS
instead. If DRIVER is used, it will behave like DRIVERS, but an error
is logged.
With the new key names, we have a more consistent and simpler scheme.
We can match the properties of the event device only, with: KERNEL,
SUBSYSTEM, ATTR, DRIVER. Or include all the parent devices in the match,
with: KERNELS, SUBSYSTEMS, ATTRS, DRIVERS. ID, BUS, SYSFS, DRIVER are no
longer mentioned in the man page and should be switched in the rule
files.

ATTR{file}="value" can be used now, to write to a sysfs file of the
event device. Instead of:
  ..., SYSFS{type}="0|7|14", RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo 60 > /sys$$DEVPATH/timeout'"
we now can do:
  ..., ATTR{type}="0|7|14", ATTR{timeout}="60"

All the PHYSDEV* keys are deprecated and will be removed from a
future kernel:
  PHYDEVPATH -    is the path of a parent device and should not be
                  needed at all.
  PHYSDEVBUS -    is just a SUBSYSTEM value of a parent, and can be
                  matched with SUBSYSTEMS=
  PHYSDEVDRIVER - for bus devices it is available as ENV{DRIVER}.
                  Newer kernels will have DRIVER in the environment,
                  for older kernels udev puts in. Class device will
                  no longer carry this property of a parent and
                  DRIVERS= can be used to match such a parent value.
Note that ENV{DRIVER} is only available for a few bus devices, where
the driver is already bound at device event time. On coldplug, the
events for a lot devices are already bound to a driver, and they will have
that value set. But on hotplug, at the time the kernel creates the device,
it can't know what driver may claim the device after that, therefore
in most cases it will be empty.

Failed events should now be re-triggered with:
   udevtrigger --retry-failed.
Please switch to this command, so we keep the details of the /dev/.udev/failed/
files private to the udev tools. We may need to switch the current symlink
target, cause some obviously broken tools try to scan all files in /dev
including /dev/.udev/, find the links to /sys and end up stat()'ing sysfs files
million times. This takes ages on slow boxes.

The udevinfo attribute walk (-a) now works with giving a device node
name (-n) instead of a devpath (-p). The query now always works, also when
no database file was created by udev.

The built-in /etc/passwd /etc/group parser is removed, we always depend on
getpwnam() and getgrnam() now. One of the next releases will depend on
fnmatch() and may use getopt_long().

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 098 release
@ 2006-08-23  6:40 ` Tobias Powalowski
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Tobias Powalowski @ 2006-08-23  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Hi, klibc build is broken, could you please help me on this:

udev_db.c: In function 'udev_db_get_device':
udev_db.c:120: error: storage size of 'stats' isn't known
udev_db.c:123: warning: declaration of 'major' shadows a global declaration
/usr/lib/klibc/include/sys/sysmacros.h:17: warning: shadowed declaration is
here
udev_db.c:123: warning: declaration of 'minor' shadows a global declaration
/usr/lib/klibc/include/sys/sysmacros.h:23: warning: shadowed declaration is
here
udev_db.c:133: warning: implicit declaration of function 'lstat'
udev_db.c:133: warning: nested extern declaration of 'lstat'
udev_db.c:137: error: 'S_IFMT' undeclared (first use in this function)
udev_db.c:137: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
udev_db.c:137: error: for each function it appears in.)
udev_db.c:137: error: 'S_IFLNK' undeclared (first use in this function)
udev_db.c:120: warning: unused variable 'stats'
udev_db.c: In function 'udev_db_lookup_name':
udev_db.c:246: error: storage size of 'stats' isn't known
udev_db.c:267: error: 'S_IFMT' undeclared (first use in this function)
udev_db.c:267: error: 'S_IFLNK' undeclared (first use in this function)
udev_db.c:246: warning: unused variable 'stats'
make: *** [udev_db.o] Error 1

thanks
greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 189 bytes --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 098 release
@ 2006-08-23  7:43 ` Marco d'Itri
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Marco d'Itri @ 2006-08-23  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Aug 23, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi, klibc build is broken, could you please help me on this:
klibc is not supported anymore since it does not provide getpwnam.

--
ciao,
Marco

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 098 release
@ 2006-08-23  8:40 ` Kay Sievers
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kay Sievers @ 2006-08-23  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 08:40 +0200, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> Hi, klibc build is broken, could you please help me on this:
>
> udev_db.c: In function 'udev_db_get_device':
> udev_db.c:120: error: storage size of 'stats' isn't known
> udev_db.c:123: warning: declaration of 'major' shadows a global declaration
> /usr/lib/klibc/include/sys/sysmacros.h:17: warning: shadowed declaration is
> here
> udev_db.c:123: warning: declaration of 'minor' shadows a global declaration
> /usr/lib/klibc/include/sys/sysmacros.h:23: warning: shadowed declaration is
> here
> udev_db.c:133: warning: implicit declaration of function 'lstat'
> udev_db.c:133: warning: nested extern declaration of 'lstat'
> udev_db.c:137: error: 'S_IFMT' undeclared (first use in this function)
> udev_db.c:137: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> udev_db.c:137: error: for each function it appears in.)
> udev_db.c:137: error: 'S_IFLNK' undeclared (first use in this function)
> udev_db.c:120: warning: unused variable 'stats'
> udev_db.c: In function 'udev_db_lookup_name':
> udev_db.c:246: error: storage size of 'stats' isn't known
> udev_db.c:267: error: 'S_IFMT' undeclared (first use in this function)
> udev_db.c:267: error: 'S_IFLNK' undeclared (first use in this function)
> udev_db.c:246: warning: unused variable 'stats'
> make: *** [udev_db.o] Error 1

adding:
  #include <sys/stat.h>
  #include <sys/types.h>

should fix that error.

But right, klibc must also provide getpwnmam() and getgrnam(), at least
as dummy implementations that return "unknown user" to make udev build
again with klibc.
Udev will no longer implement common libc features that are missing from
klibc. One of the next versions will also depend on fnmatch() and maybe
getopt_long().

Kay

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 098 release
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-08-25  9:28 ` Olivier Blin
From: Olivier Blin @ 2006-08-25  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org> writes:

> udev 098
> ====
> The built-in /etc/passwd /etc/group parser is removed, we always depend on
> getpwnam() and getgrnam() now. One of the next releases will depend on
> fnmatch() and may use getopt_long().

Hi,

In Mandriva, we used this built-in parser so that the user lookup
doesn't hang udevd when ldap is used.

It's not a distribution specific problem, see this Debian bug report
for a complete description of the issue:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug75077

How is udevd supposed to handle user lookup when nsswitch is
configured to use network-related services and no network is
available?

Regards

--
Olivier Blin - Mandriva

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 098 release
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-08-25  9:44 ` Marco d'Itri
From: Marco d'Itri @ 2006-08-25  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Aug 25, Olivier Blin <oblin@mandriva.com> wrote:

> How is udevd supposed to handle user lookup when nsswitch is
> configured to use network-related services and no network is
> available?
libnss-ldap is supposed to deal gracefully with this, since it is not an
udev-specific problem.

--
ciao,
Marco

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 098 release
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-08-25 10:32 ` Kay Sievers
From: Kay Sievers @ 2006-08-25 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 11:27 +0000, Olivier Blin wrote:
> Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org> writes:
>
> > udev 098
> > ====
> > The built-in /etc/passwd /etc/group parser is removed, we always depend on
> > getpwnam() and getgrnam() now. One of the next releases will depend on
> > fnmatch() and may use getopt_long().

> In Mandriva, we used this built-in parser so that the user lookup
> doesn't hang udevd when ldap is used.
>
> It's not a distribution specific problem, see this Debian bug report
> for a complete description of the issue:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug75077
>
> How is udevd supposed to handle user lookup when nsswitch is
> configured to use network-related services and no network is
> available?

Nssswitch is expected to be configured to look at the local files first,
before trying network lookups. System id's are not portable, not even
across Linux distros, so they should always come from the machine
itself.

Kay