* Getting and changing Volume
@ 2006-08-30 10:53 Luca bedogni
From: Luca bedogni @ 2006-08-30 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alsa-devel

Hi all
	first message from me here.
I'm writing a simple application for interacting with alsa. All's ok,
except for the volume.
I open the pcm devices correctly, but then can't find nothing to get
the current volume and setting the new one, such alsamixer does.

Any idea?

Bye
	Bedo
--
Debian Powered GNU/Linux User #373118
Bedogni Luca - 	Blog | http://blog.lucabedogni.it

* Re: Getting and changing Volume
@ 2006-08-30 15:01 ` Takashi Iwai
       [not found]   ` <20060830173931.1f00c353@localhost.localdomain>
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2006-08-30 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca bedogni; +Cc: Alsa-devel

At Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:53:27 +0200,
Luca bedogni wrote:

> Hi all
> 	first message from me here.
> I'm writing a simple application for interacting with alsa. All's ok,
> except for the volume.
> I open the pcm devices correctly, but then can't find nothing to get
> the current volume and setting the new one, such alsamixer does.
>
> Any idea?

Currently, there is no explicit API which mixer element corresponds to
a certain PCM stream.  So, most apps use simply the mixer interface
and access either "PCM" or "Master" mixer element for controlling the
total volume.

In theory, it's possible to build a softvol entry for each PCM
substream so that the volume can be controlled independently by each
app even if the hardware multi-stream PCM volume control isn't
possible.  But, it's still in dream as long as unimplemented...

Takashi

@ 2006-08-30 16:05     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2006-08-30 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca bedogni; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:39:31 +0200,
Luca bedogni wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:01:13 +0200
> Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
>
> > Currently, there is no explicit API which mixer element corresponds to
> > a certain PCM stream.  So, most apps use simply the mixer interface
> > and access either "PCM" or "Master" mixer element for controlling the
> > total volume.
> >
> > In theory, it's possible to build a softvol entry for each PCM
> > substream so that the volume can be controlled independently by each
> > app even if the hardware multi-stream PCM volume control isn't
> > possible.  But, it's still in dream as long as unimplemented...
>
> So it's not possible to control the volume? I've seen amixer and gamix
> codes for finding something helpful for me, but find nothing :(

It's of course possible to change the volume, but it will influence on
other streams, too.

The mixer interface is independent from the PCM interface.  You cannot
change the volume from snd_pcm_t handle.

Takashi