* Request for suggestions
@ 2006-09-27 22:23 Eduard Giménez
From: Eduard Giménez @ 2006-09-27 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pm

Hello,

As a Final Project to the Diploma in Computer Systems I'm researching ways to improve
power savings consumption on idle systems. We're aiming to improve the usage of
low power states on the processor (Px and Cx states on ACPI jargon) mainly on x86
computers, but when possible all improvements will be done architecture independent.

We have been thinking of direct improvements (p.e. better algorithms for CPU
frequency/state management) and indirect improvements, things like dynticks
or trying the reduce the USB poll rate.

Currently I'm writting a list of proposals, and as far as I want to do some
useful work I ask you if there is any new feature or improvement that would be welcomed.

Any suggestion will be added to the proposals list to be reviewed.

Thank you in advance!

--
edu

* Re: Request for suggestions
@ 2006-09-28  8:19 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2006-09-28  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduard Giménez; +Cc: linux-pm

Hi!

> As a Final Project to the Diploma in Computer Systems I'm researching ways to improve
> power savings consumption on idle systems. We're aiming to improve the usage of
> low power states on the processor (Px and Cx states on ACPI jargon) mainly on x86
> computers, but when possible all improvements will be done architecture independent.
>
> We have been thinking of direct improvements (p.e. better algorithms for CPU
> frequency/state management) and indirect improvements, things like dynticks
> or trying the reduce the USB poll rate.
>
> Currently I'm writting a list of proposals, and as far as I want to do some
> useful work I ask you if there is any new feature or improvement that would be welcomed.
>
> Any suggestion will be added to the proposals list to be reviewed.

There are some funky ideas in 8hours presentation, see livejournal.

Hotunplugging memory then turning it off to save power was probably
craziest idea I had ;-).
								Pavel

* Re: Request for suggestions
@ 2006-10-03 22:24   ` Wes Felter
From: Wes Felter @ 2006-10-03 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pm

Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hotunplugging memory then turning it off to save power was probably
> craziest idea I had ;-).

See Hai Huang's papers about this topic:
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~haih/index1.html

Wes Felter - wesley@felter.org