* PL2303 module
@ 2006-12-28  3:48 Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2006-12-28  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML

Greetings;

Rather offtopic, but:

Is there available anyplace, a document that describes how to configure
the PL2303 USB<->serial adaptor to match up with all the hardware and
flow control variations inherent in the basic rs-232 spec?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: PL2303 module
@ 2007-01-06  0:45 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2007-01-06  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: LKML

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 10:48:06PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Rather offtopic, but:
>
> Is there available anyplace, a document that describes how to configure
> the PL2303 USB<->serial adaptor to match up with all the hardware and
> flow control variations inherent in the basic rs-232 spec?

It should work like any other serial port on Linux, so try the serial
port programming HOWTO.

good luck,

greg k-h

* Re: PL2303 module
@ 2007-01-06  1:25   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2007-01-06  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Greg KH

On Friday 05 January 2007 19:45, Greg KH wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 10:48:06PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Rather offtopic, but:
>>
>> Is there available anyplace, a document that describes how to
>> configure the PL2303 USB<->serial adaptor to match up with all the
>> hardware and flow control variations inherent in the basic rs-232
>> spec?
>
>It should work like any other serial port on Linux, so try the serial
>port programming HOWTO.

Maybe so Greg, but I spent quite some time on it a few months back, trying
to make '7 wire' protocol work, could not.  I could type back and forth
between terminal proggies, but an rzsz file transfer never got past the
first packet.

But I'll take a look at those docs too, thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: PL2303 module
@ 2007-01-06  1:32     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2007-01-06  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 08:25:59PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 19:45, Greg KH wrote:
> >On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 10:48:06PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Greetings;
> >>
> >> Rather offtopic, but:
> >>
> >> Is there available anyplace, a document that describes how to
> >> configure the PL2303 USB<->serial adaptor to match up with all the
> >> hardware and flow control variations inherent in the basic rs-232
> >> spec?
> >
> >It should work like any other serial port on Linux, so try the serial
> >port programming HOWTO.
>
> Maybe so Greg, but I spent quite some time on it a few months back, trying
> to make '7 wire' protocol work, could not.  I could type back and forth
> between terminal proggies, but an rzsz file transfer never got past the
> first packet.

Hm, a number of the "odd" settings might not work on the usb-serial
converters, as they can't do them (or the driver doesn't know how to
configure the chip to do that.)

The pl2303 driver was reverse engineered by looking at data from other
operating systems, so perhaps no one has added that mode to it.

good luck,

greg k-h

* Re: PL2303 module
@ 2007-01-06  1:46       ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2007-01-06  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Greg KH

On Friday 05 January 2007 20:32, Greg KH wrote:
[...]
>> >It should work like any other serial port on Linux, so try the serial
>> >port programming HOWTO.
>>
>> Maybe so Greg, but I spent quite some time on it a few months back,
>> trying to make '7 wire' protocol work, could not.  I could type back
>> and forth between terminal proggies, but an rzsz file transfer never
>> got past the first packet.
>
>Hm, a number of the "odd" settings might not work on the usb-serial
>converters, as they can't do them (or the driver doesn't know how to
>configure the chip to do that.)

There is absolutely nothing 'odd' about the '7 wire', it is _the_ standard
for bi-directional hardware flow control, in common usage for at least 25
years that I'm aware of.

>The pl2303 driver was reverse engineered by looking at data from other
>operating systems, so perhaps no one has added that mode to it.

Humm, src code snooping time I guess, when I get a chance.  Right now its
a race against time to get us on the air with a fresher transmitter since
I can no longer get 4-1000 tubes to service our old GE, and the ones in
it are on their last month.  So I'm outta here in a few minutes to go see
if I can do a decent job of cutting 3.125" transmission lines on a 12"
chop saw with a carbide blade.