* [Qemu-devel] win98 slow with kqemu
@ 2006-12-30 18:09 Mikhail Ramendik
From: Mikhail Ramendik @ 2006-12-30 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello,

Some time ago I reported win98 slowness with kqemu, see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-05/msg00295.html

I have tried again, this time on a Pentium 4 (Prescott) 3 GHz system, with
Debian sarge and backports.org 2.6.18 kernel; qemu 0.8.2 and kqemu 1.3.0pre9
are locally compiled, not packaged.

Still I see visible slowness with win98 guest and kqemu; it is slower than
win98 guest without kqemu. The amnhld.vxd idlesness driver is installed.

The problem is mentioned in forums periodically, i.e. the last reply in
http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?t=2015 .

I would really like to have this fixed; I am somewhat experienced and will do
what is needed for testing etc. I would try some CPU "mark" tests for a more
objective check - but which of them will work without DirectX?

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

* Re: [Qemu-devel] win98 slow with kqemu
@ 2007-01-02 12:54 ` Dan Sandberg
From: Dan Sandberg @ 2007-01-02 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

I have noticed the same thing.

Could it be that todays processors are simply very bad at running 16-bit
code (that the pipeline has to be reloaded for each instruction or
something similar)?
If this is the case there is probably nothing else to do than avoiding
kqemu with 16-bit OS:s.

On the other hand, if for instance VMware is able to run Windows 98 much
faster (I do not have it so I can't test this) then my guess is that
kqemu is the guilty part and does something wrong with 16-bit code.

Regards
Dan Sandberg

@ 2007-01-06 17:43   ` Mikhail Ramendik
From: Mikhail Ramendik @ 2007-01-06 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 12:54, Dan Sandberg wrote:

> On the other hand, if for instance VMware is able to run Windows 98 much
> faster (I do not have it so I can't test this) then my guess is that
> kqemu is the guilty part and does something wrong with 16-bit code.

Thanks. Will test with VMWare and report.

--

@ 2007-01-08 10:11     ` Dan Sandberg
From: Dan Sandberg @ 2007-01-08 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

...also make sure that you have installed the CPU usage reduction fix
for Windows 98, se manual: 3.11.2.2
(The link in the manual seems to be dead, but working ones can be found
using Google.)

/Dan