* Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.0.4 and TLS
@ 2007-01-22 15:44 grg lmb
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: grg lmb @ 2007-01-22 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: franck, xen-users

* Re: Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.0.4 and TLS
@ 2007-01-22 15:53 ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2007-01-22 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grg lmb, xen-devel; +Cc: franck, xen-users

It looks like you may have to wait for new packages to be uploaded by the
Debian maintainers. For now you can simply use the /lib/tls libraries ‹
you¹ll get a warning during boot and performance in domain0 will be reduced,
but this may well be acceptable depending on your domain0 workload (e.g.,
are you using domain0 only for VM management? Performance will be perfectly
acceptable if that¹s the case).

 -- Keir

@ 2007-01-22 16:00 ` Henning Sprang
From: Henning Sprang @ 2007-01-22 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grg lmb; +Cc: xen-devel, franck, xen-users

On 1/22/07, grg lmb <grelamen@lycos.com> wrote:
> The proposed solution (from Keir/Henning in
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-12/msg01069.html)
> is to install a TLS-capable glibc. Henning asserted that libc6-xen worked
> for him so I downloaded it (package glibc_2.3.6.ds1.orig.tar.gz)

I didn't  propose to try building the upstream sources (that is what
the orig packages are), but use apt pinning to install it (I think, i
did that but don't have that sarge machine anymore)! The upstream
sources are probably not even going to build in a xen-friendly way...
If you want to rebuild a deb from sources, you need to do something
different (sorry, I have no time to describe that fully, look at the
debian docs and ask on debian-user list - apt-pinning can e googles
easily).

Or search for backports - I don't know if one exists.
I don't remmber I had any problem with Xen and Sarge, but in general I
think, when using Xen you should use a recent version of a
distribution - etch is stable enough now, it's ging to be out soon,
and i run it on several machines with no problems.

Henning

* Re: Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.0.4 and TLS
@ 2007-01-22 16:01 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2007-01-22 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grg lmb; +Cc: xen-devel, franck, xen-users

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 10:44 -0500, grg lmb wrote:
> OK
> I am having the same issue with [[ImportError: libxenctrl.so.3.0:
> cannot handle TLS data]] in Debian Sarge. Please note that this issue
> has been brought up in
> 1) Xen-devel as "Problems with XEN 3.0.4 and Python"
> 2) Xen-users as "xen 3.0.4 and TLS"
> It's the same problem and it has not been solved.
>
> The proposed solution (from Keir/Henning in
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-12/msg01069.html) is to install a TLS-capable glibc.

I have uploaded some Xen compatible glibcs for Sarge to
http://xenbits.xensource.com/glibcs/sarge/ these should be more
compatible than trying to backport the libc from Etch since they are
taken from Sarge with only the TLS patch added.

Ian.