* [CFT] git-svn - almost a rewrite...
@ 2007-02-01 13:29 Eric Wong
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric Wong @ 2007-02-01 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I wanted to better support multi-fetch and --follow-parent, but the
original design of git-svn was strongly biased towards following a
single path.  I ended up rewriting significant parts of it.

Now git-svn uses .git/config for managing remote fetches (no wildcard
support yet, unfortunately); making it easy to see what files.  With
connection minimization (git-svn migrate --minimize), git-svn can now
avoid unnecessary reconnections to repositories.

With a single connection, git-svn can finally multi-fetch
fetch redundant information.  Additionally, parents created by
--follow-parent are no longer tracked on subsequent invocations
(since we originally just wanted the child), so we avoid waisting
time fetching things we didn't ask for.

Not strictly --follow-parent, but git-svn can now better track
paths that have been deleted up to (but not including) the revision
where it was deleted.

fetch and multi-fetch is much better at figuring out if there's nothing
to fetch, so repeatedly running 'git-svn multi-fetch' to get the latest
changes should be noticeably cheaper.

--follow-parent is not yet the default, some more testing from others
would be nice.  --follow-parent is now greatly improved, as it
can follow into deleted directories as well as tracking subdirectories
with no explicit parent at its current level.

graft-branches is gone.  We could still implement merge-tracking the way
git-svnimport does since we multi-fetch chronologically now...
Volunteers?

I don't have any hacks using shorter-lived children to reduce memory
usage anymore.  This was mainly to make development easier, but the Perl
bindings for SVN 1.4.3 have fixed some memory leak issues from the delta
editors.

Unfortunately, do_switch() still does not work with SVN 1.4.3.

Sam Vilain's revprops tracking hasn't been merged yet, but I intend to
support alternate SVN URLs/revnos from both svm:* revprops as well as
being able to override the repository root path (file:// => http://
for public distribution).

Repository available here, this is based against Junios git.git master:

  git://git.bogomips.org/git-svn.git
  http://git.bogomips.org/git-svn.git

I *will* rebase the master here as I see fit...

To take full advantage of remote connection minimization, just run:
"git-svn migrate --minimize" once and continue to add/edit remote
refspecs via .git/config.

As great as these changes sound, I don't feel they bring significant
enough improvement to risk introducing brokeness for 1.5.0.  I would
like to wait until 1.5.0 has passed before merging into mainline.  I
still have _not_ used this version of git-svn for any real work yet.

It's way past my bed time so I may have missed a few things or written
incoherently, but have fun with this anyways :)

---
 Documentation/git-svn.txt         |   71 +-
 git-svn.perl                      | 4257 +++++++++++++++++++------------------
 t/t9100-git-svn-basic.sh          |   54 +-
 t/t9101-git-svn-props.sh          |   26 +
 t/t9103-git-svn-graft-branches.sh |   60 -
 t/t9104-git-svn-follow-parent.sh  |  126 ++-
 t/t9105-git-svn-commit-diff.sh    |    9 +
 t/t9107-git-svn-migrate.sh        |   92 +

---
Eric Wong (65):
      git-svn: move authentication prompts into their own namespace
      git-svn: cleanup: move process_rm around
      git-svn: cleanup: put SVN workarounds into their own namespace
      git-svn: cleanup: avoid re-use()ing Git.pm in sub-packages
      git-svn: add Git::SVN module (to avoid global variables)
      git-svn: convert 'init' to use Git::SVN
      git-svn: convert multi-init over to using Git::SVN
      git-svn: make multi-init capable of reusing the Ra connection
      git-svn: add a test for show-ignore
      git-svn: convert show-ignore over to Git::SVN
      git-svn: moved the 'log' command into its own namespace
      git-svn: port the 'rebuild' command to use Git::SVN objects
      git-svn: do not let Git.pm warn if we prematurely close pipes
      git-svn: convert the 'commit-diff' command to Git::SVN
      git-svn: get rid of Memoize for now...
      git-svn: fetch/multi-fetch converted over to Git::SVN module
      git-svn: switch dcommit to using Git::SVN code
      git-svn: convert 'set-tree' command to use Git::SVN
      git-svn: remove graft-branches command
      git-svn: add support for metadata in .git/config
      git-svn: fix a regression in dcommit that caused empty log messages
      git-svn: reuse open SVN::Ra connections by URL
      git-svn: enable --minimize to simplify the config and connections
      git-svn: fix --follow-parent to work with Git::SVN
      git-svn: --follow-parent works with svn-remotes multiple branches
      git-svn: disallow ambigious local refspecs
      git-svn: allow --follow-parent on deleted directories
      git-svn: get rid of additional fetch-arguments
      git-svn: allow 'init' to work outside of tests
      git-svn: better error reporting if --follow-parent fails
      git-svn: 'init' attempts to connect to the repository root if possible
      git-svn: --follow-parent now works on sub-directories of larger branches
      git-svn: track writes writes to the index in fetch
      git-svn: add an odd test case that seems to cause segfaults over HTTP
      git-svn: avoid tracking change-less revisions
      git-svn: correctly track revisions made to deleted branches
      git-svn: fix segfaults from accessing svn_log_changed_path_t
      git-svn: fix committing to subdirectories, add tests
      git-svn: avoid an extra svn_ra connection during commits
      git-svn: simplify usage of the SVN::Git::Editor interface
      git-svn: cleanup remove unused function
      git-svn: allow multi-fetch to fetch things chronologically
      git-svn: correctly track diff-less copies with do_switch
      git-svn: correctly handle do_{switch,update} in deep directories
      git-svn: stop using path names as refnames with --follow-parent
      git-svn: cleanup: move editor-specific variables into the editor namespace
      git-svn: just use Digest::MD5 instead of requiring it
      git-svn: reinstate the default SVN error handler after using get_log
      git-svn: don't rely on do_switch + reparenting with svn(+ssh)://
      git-svn: fetch tracks initial change with --follow-parent
      git-svn: remove the 'rebuild' command and make the functionality automatic
      git-svn: fix several fetch bugs related to repeated invocations
      git-svn: reinstate --no-metadata, add --svn-remote=, variable cleanups
      git-svn: gracefully handle --follow-parent failures
      git-svn: make (multi-)fetch safer but slower
      git-svn: avoid a huge memory spike with high-numbered revisions
      git-svn: re-enable repacking flags
      git-svn: do our best to ensure that our ref and rev_db are consistent
      git-svn: avoid redundant get_log calls between invocations
      git-svn: use sys* IO functions for reading rev_db
      git-svn: don't write to the config file from --follow-parent
      git-svn: save paths to tags/branches with for future reuse
      git-svn: migrations default to [svn-remote "git-svn"]
      git-svn: get rid of revisions_eq check for --follow-parent
      git-svn: avoid extra get_log calls when refspecs are added for fetching

--
Eric Wong

* Re: [CFT] git-svn - almost a rewrite...
@ 2007-02-06  8:43 ` Steven Grimm
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steven Grimm @ 2007-02-06  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: git

FYI, I tried this with our big Subversion repo and, even without
--follow-parent, it fixed the problem I reported a while back with files
not getting deleted from the git repo when they vanished in svn due to a
branch rename. If I do git-svn fetch with the old version, I see the
extra files, and with the new version I don't. Nice.

-Steve

@ 2007-02-16  2:09 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2007-02-16  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Eric Wong <normalperson@yhbt.net> wrote:
> Repository available here, this is based against Junios git.git master:
>
>   git://git.bogomips.org/git-svn.git
>   http://git.bogomips.org/git-svn.git

> As great as these changes sound, I don't feel they bring significant
> enough improvement to risk introducing brokeness for 1.5.0.  I would
> like to wait until 1.5.0 has passed before merging into mainline.  I
> still have _not_ used this version of git-svn for any real work yet.

I've been dogfooding my current version today and it everything seems to
be working as expected.

I'm glad I didn't introduce it into 1.5.0, however; as I introduced (but
later fixed) a major bug between Saturday and Wednesday where revisions
were being skipped.

--

@ 2007-02-20  9:45 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2007-02-20  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Sam Vilain, Junio C Hamano

Eric Wong <normalperson@yhbt.net> wrote:
> I wanted to better support multi-fetch and --follow-parent, but the

I've deprecated the names 'multi-fetch' and 'multi-init'; however the
functionality they support have been integrated into the 'init' and
'fetch' commands.

> Now git-svn uses .git/config for managing remote fetches (no wildcard
> support yet, unfortunately); making it easy to see what files.  With
> connection minimization (git-svn migrate --minimize), git-svn can now
> avoid unnecessary reconnections to repositories.

Wildcards for branches and tags are now supported.  (multi-)init -b/-t will
create something like this now:

[svn-remote "svn"]
	url = http://server.org/svn
	branches = branches/*/project-a:refs/remotes/*
	tags = tags/*/project-a:refs/remotes/tags/*
	trunk = trunk/project-a:refs/remotes/trunk

> --follow-parent is not yet the default, some more testing from others
> would be nice.  --follow-parent is now greatly improved, as it
> can follow into deleted directories as well as tracking subdirectories
> with no explicit parent at its current level.

I've made --follow-parent the default now.  --no-follow-parent reverts
back to the old default behavior.

> Sam Vilain's revprops tracking hasn't been merged yet, but I intend to
> support alternate SVN URLs/revnos from both svm:* revprops as well as
> being able to override the repository root path (file:// => http://
> for public distribution).

This is in, as is the analogous functionality for svnsync.  Please note
that these features do add some complexity to how dcommit works which
I haven't explored much of.  Perhaps Sam knows better what to do with
it.

> Repository available here, this is based against Junios git.git master:
>
>   git://git.bogomips.org/git-svn.git
>   http://git.bogomips.org/git-svn.git
>
> I *will* rebase the master here as I see fit...

New changes pushed out.

> To take full advantage of remote connection minimization, just run:
> "git-svn migrate --minimize" once and continue to add/edit remote
> refspecs via .git/config.
>
> As great as these changes sound, I don't feel they bring significant
> enough improvement to risk introducing brokeness for 1.5.0.  I would
> like to wait until 1.5.0 has passed before merging into mainline.  I
> still have _not_ used this version of git-svn for any real work yet.

After a few days of dogfooding and nothing breaking; I'd say it's ready
for merging into mainline git.  One last minute change I made while
writing this announcement was supporting invocations from
subdirectories.

There's a lot of changes in here; so I don't think I'll bomb the
mailing list with 113 patches.  Feel free to fetch or clone from
the repositories given above.

Eric Wong (112):
[...]
      git-svn: just name the default svn-remote "svn" instead of "git-svn"
      git-svn: prepare multi-init for wildcard support
      git-svn: reintroduce using a single get_log() to fetch
      git-svn: run get_log() on a sub-directory if possible
      git-svn: implement auto-discovery of branches/tags
      git-svn: --follow-parent tracks multi-parent paths
      git-svn: remove check_path calls before calling do_update
      git-svn: remove some noisy debugging messages
      git-svn: enable follow-parent functionality by default
      git-svn: fix buggy regular expression usage in several places
      git-svn: correctly handle the -q flag in SVN::Git::Fetcher
      git-svn: correctly handle globs with a right-hand-side path component
      git-svn: remove optimized commit stuff for set-tree
      git-svn: add support for SVN::Mirror/svk using revprops for metadata
      git-svn: add support for per-[svn-remote "..."] options
      git-svn: use private $GIT_DIR/svn/config file more
      git-svn: extra safety for noMetadata and useSvmProps users
      git-svn: use separate, per-repository .rev_db files
      git-svn: write the highest maxRex out for branches and tags
      git-svn: handle multi-init without --trunk, UseSvmProps fixes
      git-svn: make dcommit usable for glob users
      git-svn: include merges when calling rev-list for decommit
      git-svn: usability fixes for the 'git svn log' command
      t910*: s/repo-config/config/g; poke around possible race conditions
      git-svn: hopefully make 'fetch' more user-friendly
      git-svn: allow 'init' to act as multi-init
      git-svn: brown paper bag fixes
      git-svn: simplify the (multi-)init methods of fetching
      git-svn: allow --log-window-size to be specified, default to 100
      git-svn: remember to check for clean indices on globbed refs, too
      git-svn: error checking for invalid [svn-remote "..."] sections
      git-svn: allow dcommit for those who only fetch from SVM with useSvmProps
      git-svn: documentation updates for new functionality
      git-svn: add support for --stat in the log command
      git-svn: checkout files on new fetches
      git-svn: add a 'rebase' command
      git-svn: fix some issues for people migrating from older versions
      git-svn: hide the private git-svn 'config' file as '.metadata'
      git-svn: add 'clone' command, an alias for init + fetch
      git-svn: allow overriding of the SVN repo root in metadata
      git-svn: add support for using svnsync properties
      git-svn: fix useSvmProps, hopefully for the last time
      git-svn: add test for useSvnsyncProps
      git-svn: documentation updates
      git-svn: allow metadata options to be specified with 'init' and 'clone'
      git-svn: give show-ignore HEAD smarts, like dcommit and log
      git-svn: ensure we're at the top-level and can access $GIT_DIR

sam@vilain.net (1):
      git-svn: make test for SVK mirror path import

--
Eric Wong

* Re: [CFT] git-svn - almost a rewrite...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-02-23 10:40 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2007-02-23 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: Sam Vilain, git

Junio:
Please pull the HEAD of git://bogomips.org/git-svn.git into
your master, thanks.

I have found several bugs since the last announcement and fixed
them.  Additionally Sam has provided some patches to get rid
of the username in the metadata URL.

Eric Wong (3):
      git-svn: fix clone when a target directory has been specified
      git-svn: fix reconnections to different paths of svn:// repositories
      git-svn: fix some potential bugs with --follow-parent

Sam Vilain (2):
      git-svn: don't consider SVN URL usernames significant when comparing
      git-svn: document --username

--

@ 2007-02-23 11:14   ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2007-02-23 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: Sam Vilain, git

Eric Wong <normalperson@yhbt.net> writes:

> Please pull the HEAD of git://bogomips.org/git-svn.git into
> your master, thanks.

Pulled and pushed out.  Thanks.

I was holding out because I saw several times that you rewound
and rebuilt that branch this week.