* AC97 touchscreen support
@ 2007-02-01 13:32 Manuel Lauss
From: Manuel Lauss @ 2007-02-01 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello,

Is it possible for the ALSA AC97 layer to support
a AC97 touchscreen (such as the Wolfson 97xx series
or the ucb1400) in a generic way? I.e. can I access
certain registers in the codec from a "platform" driver
which uses the ac97 bus instead of the platform bus?
(Is there something like a "struct ac97_driver" which
works like the "struct platform_driver"? )

Thanks!

--
 ml.

* Re: AC97 touchscreen support
@ 2007-02-01 13:57 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2007-02-01 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Lauss; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:32:56 +0100,
Manuel Lauss wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible for the ALSA AC97 layer to support
> a AC97 touchscreen (such as the Wolfson 97xx series
> or the ucb1400) in a generic way? I.e. can I access
> certain registers in the codec from a "platform" driver
> which uses the ac97 bus instead of the platform bus?
> (Is there something like a "struct ac97_driver" which
> works like the "struct platform_driver"? )

That's not planned so far.  Currently, ac97 codec codes are no
individual drivers but a sub-system that belongs to the real driver
(usually bound to a controller chip).  Changing this structure is not
so trivial, I guess.

Takashi

* Re: AC97 touchscreen support
@ 2007-02-01 14:07 ` Liam Girdwood
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2007-02-01 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Lauss; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 14:32 +0100, Manuel Lauss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible for the ALSA AC97 layer to support
> a AC97 touchscreen (such as the Wolfson 97xx series
> or the ucb1400) in a generic way? I.e. can I access
> certain registers in the codec from a "platform" driver
> which uses the ac97 bus instead of the platform bus?
> (Is there something like a "struct ac97_driver" which
> works like the "struct platform_driver"? )

I can only comment on the wm97xx drivers here as I'm the author.

The wm97xx touch driver is pretty much arch independent and uses the
ac97 bus device for access to the codec. Alsa audio works as normal.

Fwiw, wm9705, wm9712 and wm9713 drivers are here :-

http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/~lg/wm97xx/

I assume your trying to read back an AUX adc or similar for some board
specific purpose. In this case I've added an wm97xx bus device that can
grant access to codec IO and other misc common functions (and can be
used from your platform driver). However, it's not truly generic as it
does require the wm97xx core.

HTH

Liam

* Re: AC97 touchscreen support
@ 2007-02-01 14:22   ` Manuel Lauss
From: Manuel Lauss @ 2007-02-01 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi Liam,

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 02:07:20PM +0000, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 14:32 +0100, Manuel Lauss wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is it possible for the ALSA AC97 layer to support
> > a AC97 touchscreen (such as the Wolfson 97xx series
> > or the ucb1400) in a generic way? I.e. can I access
> > certain registers in the codec from a "platform" driver
> > which uses the ac97 bus instead of the platform bus?
> > (Is there something like a "struct ac97_driver" which
> > works like the "struct platform_driver"? )
>
> I can only comment on the wm97xx drivers here as I'm the author.
>
> The wm97xx touch driver is pretty much arch independent and uses the
> ac97 bus device for access to the codec. Alsa audio works as normal.
>
> Fwiw, wm9705, wm9712 and wm9713 drivers are here :-
>
> http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/~lg/wm97xx/
>
> I assume your trying to read back an AUX adc or similar for some board
> specific purpose. In this case I've added an wm97xx bus device that can
> grant access to codec IO and other misc common functions (and can be
> used from your platform driver). However, it's not truly generic as it
> does require the wm97xx core.

Does this also work with your SoC layer (which is very nice, btw)?
(My targets are Au1200 and some SuperH SoCs)

I looked through the alsa code a bit, can I not use the
snd_ac97_write/read() functions to read the ADC registers of
the codec once the ac97 bus has been created?

--

@ 2007-02-01 14:38     ` Liam Girdwood
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2007-02-01 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Lauss; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 15:22 +0100, Manuel Lauss wrote:
> Hi Liam,
>
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 02:07:20PM +0000, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 14:32 +0100, Manuel Lauss wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Is it possible for the ALSA AC97 layer to support
> > > a AC97 touchscreen (such as the Wolfson 97xx series
> > > or the ucb1400) in a generic way? I.e. can I access
> > > certain registers in the codec from a "platform" driver
> > > which uses the ac97 bus instead of the platform bus?
> > > (Is there something like a "struct ac97_driver" which
> > > works like the "struct platform_driver"? )
> >
> > I can only comment on the wm97xx drivers here as I'm the author.
> >
> > The wm97xx touch driver is pretty much arch independent and uses the
> > ac97 bus device for access to the codec. Alsa audio works as normal.
> >
> > Fwiw, wm9705, wm9712 and wm9713 drivers are here :-
> >
> > http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/~lg/wm97xx/
> >
> > I assume your trying to read back an AUX adc or similar for some board
> > specific purpose. In this case I've added an wm97xx bus device that can
> > grant access to codec IO and other misc common functions (and can be
> > used from your platform driver). However, it's not truly generic as it
> > does require the wm97xx core.
>
> Does this also work with your SoC layer (which is very nice, btw)?

It does. :)

> (My targets are Au1200 and some SuperH SoCs)

We unfortunately don't have support for either SoC yet. A platform
driver (DMA and AC97) would need to be implemented before audio/touch
would work.

> I looked through the alsa code a bit, can I not use the
> snd_ac97_write/read() functions to read the ADC registers of
> the codec once the ac97 bus has been created?

It may work, although I've never tried. You will need to make sure that
the AC97 link is running first otherwise all IO will fail (ac97 codec
driver does this for you).

Liam

* Re: AC97 touchscreen support
@ 2007-02-01 15:07       ` Manuel Lauss
From: Manuel Lauss @ 2007-02-01 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 02:38:45PM +0000, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 15:22 +0100, Manuel Lauss wrote:
> > Hi Liam,

> > > I can only comment on the wm97xx drivers here as I'm the author.
> > >
> > > The wm97xx touch driver is pretty much arch independent and uses the
> > > ac97 bus device for access to the codec. Alsa audio works as normal.
> > >
> > > Fwiw, wm9705, wm9712 and wm9713 drivers are here :-
> > >
> > > http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/~lg/wm97xx/
> > >
> > > I assume your trying to read back an AUX adc or similar for some board
> > > specific purpose. In this case I've added an wm97xx bus device that can
> > > grant access to codec IO and other misc common functions (and can be
> > > used from your platform driver). However, it's not truly generic as it
> > > does require the wm97xx core.
> >
> > Does this also work with your SoC layer (which is very nice, btw)?
>
> It does. :)

great!

> > (My targets are Au1200 and some SuperH SoCs)
> >

> We unfortunately don't have support for either SoC yet. A platform
> driver (DMA and AC97) would need to be implemented before audio/touch
> would work.

That's okay, I'll write them if need be. I already have a
working (but ugly) AC97 driver for SH7760 (not for the SoC code yet).

Thanks again!

--
 ml.