* pygrub launched from xend and $TERM
@ 2007-01-31  4:46 John Levon
From: John Levon @ 2007-01-31  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Now that xend launches pygrub, it no longer picks up the user's
$TERM setting. This is fatal on Solaris where TERM isn't set, but it
also seems wrong on Linux.

regards
john

* Re: pygrub launched from xend and $TERM
@ 2007-01-31 10:11 ` Tim Deegan
From: Tim Deegan @ 2007-01-31 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Levon; +Cc: xen-devel

At 04:46 +0000 on 31 Jan (1170218806), John Levon wrote:
> Now that xend launches pygrub, it no longer picks up the user's
> $TERM setting. This is fatal on Solaris where TERM isn't set, but it
> also seems wrong on Linux.

Any suggestions?  We can't know what terminal type xenconsole is going
to be running at before it attaches. :(  We could set some sensible
(and, if you like, architecture-dependent) default value.

Cheers,

Tim.

* Re: pygrub launched from xend and $TERM
@ 2007-01-31 13:19   ` Andrew D. Ball
From: Andrew D. Ball @ 2007-01-31 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Deegan; +Cc: xen-devel, John Levon

How about VT100 on Solaris and 'linux' or VT100 on Linux?

Peace.
Andrew

@ 2007-01-31 14:51   ` John Levon
From: John Levon @ 2007-01-31 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Deegan; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 10:11:36AM +0000, Tim Deegan wrote:

> At 04:46 +0000 on 31 Jan (1170218806), John Levon wrote:
> > Now that xend launches pygrub, it no longer picks up the user's
> > $TERM setting. This is fatal on Solaris where TERM isn't set, but it
> > also seems wrong on Linux.
>
> Any suggestions?  We can't know what terminal type xenconsole is going
> to be running at before it attaches. :(  We could set some sensible
> (and, if you like, architecture-dependent) default value.

All I can suggest is a default plus maybe a config option for the
domain...

@ 2007-02-01 15:11     ` Tim Deegan
From: Tim Deegan @ 2007-02-01 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Levon; +Cc: Tim Deegan, xen-devel

At 14:51 +0000 on 31 Jan (1170255067), John Levon wrote:
> > At 04:46 +0000 on 31 Jan (1170218806), John Levon wrote:
> > > Now that xend launches pygrub, it no longer picks up the user's
> > > $TERM setting. This is fatal on Solaris where TERM isn't set, but it
> > > also seems wrong on Linux.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  We can't know what terminal type xenconsole is going
> > to be running at before it attaches. :(  We could set some sensible
> > (and, if you like, architecture-dependent) default value.
>
> All I can suggest is a default plus maybe a config option for the
> domain...

OK, we'll run with TERM=vt100, which should play nicely with most
things.

Cheers,

Tim.