* RE: multiple devices using ELDK NFS mounts
@ 2007-02-08 13:04 Fillod Stephane
From: Fillod Stephane @ 2007-02-08 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Ng, linuxppc-embedded

Daniel Ng wrote:
> I am working on multiple ELDK devices. So far, I just have one copy of
the ELDK=20
> NFS mount per device. This gets unwieldly when we have more than a few
devices,=20
> especially considering the size of one NFS mount being over 800Mb.=20
>
> Can you suggest a more efficient way? Something like sharing part of a
single=20
> NFS mount across multiple devices? Or some other way?

You can mount the NFS root read-only and modify startup
scripts/fstab/etc.
so that /var and /tmp are mounted as ramfs or tmpfs. Use some soft links
to provide mutable files in previous mount points. Works great.
And nobody is going to wreck the NFS root by mistake.  :-)
Throw in additional services: PAM, NIS, etc.
ELDK is not an end-product, it's a starter-product ;-)
Thank goes to DENX Software Engineering for their nice package.
BTW, ELDK 4.1 has been released recently, and it includes among
other things Xenomai and the long awaited uClibc support.
http://www.denx.de/en/News/PressReleaseELDK41

Have fun.
--=20
Stephane

PS: I am in no way associated with DENX, I'm just a happy customer who
speak=20
on my own behalf, not for my employer.

* Re: multiple devices using ELDK NFS mounts
@ 2007-02-09  0:46 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2007-02-09  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fillod Stephane; +Cc: Daniel Ng, linuxppc-embedded

In message <0B45E93C5FF65740AEAE690BF3848B7A4AAF68@rennsmail04.eu.thmulti.com> you wrote:

> ELDK is not an end-product, it's a starter-product ;-)

May I quote this? :-)

> Thank goes to DENX Software Engineering for their nice package.
> BTW, ELDK 4.1 has been released recently, and it includes among
> other things Xenomai and the long awaited uClibc support.

Don't expect too much. Wee added this because customers asked for it.
But I am not a fan of it. You safe some 800 kB or so in the target
root file system - and win a lot of trouble.

> PS: I am in no way associated with DENX, I'm just a happy customer who

Glad to hear that.

The next "long awaited" feature will be ELDK on Windoze. Available in
... say 30 minutes from now? :-)

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
Hi there! This is just a note from me, to you, to tell you, the  per-
son  reading this note, that I can't think up any more famous quotes,
jokes, nor bizarre stories, so you may as well go home.

* Re: multiple devices using ELDK NFS mounts
@ 2007-02-08 10:44 ` Alex Zeffertt
From: Alex Zeffertt @ 2007-02-08 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Ng; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Daniel Ng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on multiple ELDK devices. So far, I just have one copy of the ELDK
> NFS mount per device. This gets unwieldly when we have more than a few devices,
> especially considering the size of one NFS mount being over 800Mb.
>
> Can you suggest a more efficient way? Something like sharing part of a single
> NFS mount across multiple devices? Or some other way?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

I assume you are mounting the NFS as the *root* filesystem, and you don't want the
devices to overwrite eachothers files.

Why not build a ramdisk root filesystem and boot that.  Then mount the NFS filesystem
somewhere else, e.g. /usr.  This is very well described in the ELDK wiki.

Alex

* multiple devices using ELDK NFS mounts
@ 2007-02-08  6:29 Daniel Ng