* CoreDuo Bus-Master-Activity on Core1 ffffffff when idle, no C3
@ 2007-02-09  2:47 Sascha Heid
From: Sascha Heid @ 2007-02-09  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

Hi List!

i recently got a Lenovo X60T, installed Gentoo Linux, and since then i
am trying to figure out why i miss 2h of battery-life compared to
Windows-Users. After a while i noticed that the Bus-Master-Activity on
CPU1 is ffffffff when its idle and only drops if i give it some work to
do (like a kernel compile with make -j3)
When i put some load on both cores the Bus Master Activity of CPU1 is
normalizing itself and varies according to the load.
When i leave the Laptop idle for a while it gets actually hotter (60C)
then when i use it (44C).
The CPU is not able to stay in C3, it tries but comes back to C2 within
the second, i assume that is because of the high Bus Master Activity of
CPU1?

I have already looked for help about this on various forums and mailing
lists and i talked to other people with CoreDuo's and they do not have
this issue with the Bus Master Activity.

I tried alot of different kernels (2.6.19 and 2.6.20) and setups or used
preconfigured Kernels or even Live-Distros.
I also booted a *very* minimal Gentoo-Linux setup, no WLAN, no USB, no X
etc., and played with the BIOS-Settings (disabling as much as possible),
and now i am at a point where i really dont know what to do anymore and
i fear that im not getting any answers anywhere.

If anyone has any advice, information or would like to see some logs or
configs, i would be very gratefull.

Greetings from Germany,
Sascha

* Re: CoreDuo Bus-Master-Activity on Core1 ffffffff when idle, no C3
@ 2007-02-09  6:54 ` Len Brown
From: Len Brown @ 2007-02-09  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Heid; +Cc: linux-acpi

On Thursday 08 February 2007 21:47, Sascha Heid wrote:
> Hi List!
>

> i recently got a Lenovo X60T, installed Gentoo Linux, and since then i
> am trying to figure out why i miss 2h of battery-life compared to
> Windows-Users. After a while i noticed that the Bus-Master-Activity on
> CPU1 is ffffffff when its idle and only drops if i give it some work to
> do (like a kernel compile with make -j3)
> When i put some load on both cores the Bus Master Activity of CPU1 is
> normalizing itself and varies according to the load.
> When i leave the Laptop idle for a while it gets actually hotter (60C)
> then when i use it (44C).
> The CPU is not able to stay in C3, it tries but comes back to C2 within
> the second, i assume that is because of the high Bus Master Activity of
> CPU1?
>
> I have already looked for help about this on various forums and mailing
> lists and i talked to other people with CoreDuo's and they do not have
> this issue with the Bus Master Activity.
>
> I tried alot of different kernels (2.6.19 and 2.6.20) and setups or used
> preconfigured Kernels or even Live-Distros.
> I also booted a *very* minimal Gentoo-Linux setup, no WLAN, no USB, no X
> etc., and played with the BIOS-Settings (disabling as much as possible),
> and now i am at a point where i really dont know what to do anymore and
> i fear that im not getting any answers anywhere.
>
> If anyone has any advice, information or would like to see some logs or
> configs, i would be very gratefull.
>
> Greetings from Germany,
> Sascha

Try disconnecting usb devices until lsusb shows nothing.

cheers from Boston,
-Len

* Re: CoreDuo Bus-Master-Activity on Core1 ffffffff when idle, no C3
@ 2007-02-09 14:29   ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh @ 2007-02-09 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Brown; +Cc: Sascha Heid, linux-acpi

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007, Len Brown wrote:
> Try disconnecting usb devices until lsusb shows nothing.

On some ThinkPads, this means removing uhci_hcd and ehci_hcd, because they
have internal USB devices (bluetooth, fingerprint reader, etc).

  Henrique Holschuh

* Re: CoreDuo Bus-Master-Activity on Core1 ffffffff when idle, no C3
@ 2007-02-09 18:35     ` Sascha Heid
From: Sascha Heid @ 2007-02-09 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh; +Cc: linux-acpi

Am Freitag, den 09.02.2007, 12:29 -0200 schrieb Henrique de Moraes
Holschuh:
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007, Len Brown wrote:
> > Try disconnecting usb devices until lsusb shows nothing.
>
> On some ThinkPads, this means removing uhci_hcd and ehci_hcd, because they
> have internal USB devices (bluetooth, fingerprint reader, etc).

Thats it, added 1h Battery-Life immediately.

Thank you very much!

* Re: CoreDuo Bus-Master-Activity on Core1 ffffffff when idle, no C3
@ 2007-02-09 19:17       ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh @ 2007-02-09 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Heid; +Cc: linux-acpi

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007, Sascha Heid wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 09.02.2007, 12:29 -0200 schrieb Henrique de Moraes
> Holschuh:
> > On Fri, 09 Feb 2007, Len Brown wrote:
> > > Try disconnecting usb devices until lsusb shows nothing.
> >
> > On some ThinkPads, this means removing uhci_hcd and ehci_hcd, because they
> > have internal USB devices (bluetooth, fingerprint reader, etc).
>
> Thats it, added 1h Battery-Life immediately.

Now, for the golden question:  Should uhci_hcd be causing that much
bus-mastering activity?  And why it causes that *only* when the CPU is idle?
That is extremely weird.

I think there indeed is a real bug at work here.

  Henrique Holschuh