* Sound
@ 2007-02-08 20:24 John Dey
       [not found] ` <20070208223023.GA18278@rfa.org>
From: John Dey @ 2007-02-08 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alsa Dev

Hello Members,

I have posted here on the same topic but haven't received any
alsa is working just fine on my PS3 using YDL 5 but needs some
adjustments to permissions on file/sockets.  aplay and speaker-test
works as root but not as user.  What changes do I need to make so that
I can run aplay at user level?  Thanks.

John

* Re: Sound
       [not found] ` <20070208223023.GA18278@rfa.org>
@ 2007-02-09  1:29   ` John Dey
From: John Dey @ 2007-02-09  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Grau; +Cc: Alsa Dev

Hi Frederico,

Thanks for your response.  I get the following:

[robo9@robo9 dev]$ ls -l /dev/snd
total 0
crw------- 1 root root 116,  0 Feb  8 11:21 controlC0
crw------- 1 root root 116, 16 Feb  8 11:21 pcmC0D0p
crw------- 1 root root 116,  1 Feb  8 11:21 seq
crw------- 1 root root 116, 33 Feb  8 11:21 timer

which confirms my suspicion.  I changed group to audio and added user
to that group.  I changed permission.  But still no luck.  I get the
following from aplay:

[robo9@robo9 Desktop]$ aplay BWV535.wav
ALSA lib confmisc.c:672:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3492:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3492:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1072:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3492:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3961:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2099:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:547: audio open error: No such device

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

John

John

* Re: Sound
@ 2007-02-09  2:26     ` Federico Grau
From: Federico Grau @ 2007-02-09  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dey; +Cc: Alsa Dev

chmod 660 /dev/snd/*

When you did a "chgrp audio /dev/snd/*", that corrected the group membership
issue with the users.  However, if you see the permission bits:
    crw------- 1 root root 116,  0 Feb  8 11:21 controlC0
    user  group  other
    rw-   ---    ---
Only the user has read and write permissions.  The chmod (change mode) command
up top should correct that and give you something like
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 116,  0 Feb  8 11:21 controlC0
    user  group  other
    rw-   rw-    ---

"man 1 chmod" for more details.

best to you,
donfede

@ 2020-12-31  8:33       ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2020-12-31  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Labisch
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Akemi Yagi, Justin Forbes

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 07:10:16PM +0100, Christian Labisch wrote:
> Update :
>
> I've just tested the kernel 5.10.4 from ELRepo.
> Unfortunately nothing changed - still no sound.

Ah, sad.  Can you run 'git bisect' between 5.9 and 5.10 to determine the
commit that caused the problem?

thanks,

greg k-h

* sound
@ 2020-12-30 18:10     ` Christian Labisch
From: Christian Labisch @ 2020-12-30 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Akemi Yagi, Justin Forbes

Update :

I've just tested the kernel 5.10.4 from ELRepo.
Unfortunately nothing changed - still no sound.

Regards,
Christian

> Thank you Greg,
>
> I am running Fedora 33 with kernel 5.9.16, which works correctly.
> All stable 5.10 versions up to 5.10.3 are having the sound issue.
> Once 5.10.4 will be available on koji I'm gonna test if it works.
>
> Thanks again !
>
> Regards,
> Christian
>
> On Wed, 2020-12-30 at 16:36 +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 04:26:00PM +0100, Christian Labisch wrote:
> > > Hello !
> > >
> > > I could need your help ... I have tested the new kernel 5.10.3 and sound doesn't work with
> > > this
> > > version.
> > > Seems the new Intel audio drivers are the main reason. What can be done ? Do you have any
> > > ideas
> > > ?
> > >
> > > Intel Catpt driver support is new ... This deprecates the previous Haswell SoC audio driver
> > > code
> > > previously providing the audio capabilities.
> > > And I am having a Haswell CPU -> Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core
> > > Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
> >
> > Can you try 5.10.4?  I think a fix for this is in there as was reported
> > by another user yesterday.
> >
> > If not, can you run 'git bisect' on the kernels between the last good
> > one that worked for you, and the one that doesn't?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h

* Re: sound
@ 2020-12-30 15:45   ` Christian Labisch
From: Christian Labisch @ 2020-12-30 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: stable, linux-kernel

Thank you Greg,

I am running Fedora 33 with kernel 5.9.16, which works correctly.
All stable 5.10 versions up to 5.10.3 are having the sound issue.
Once 5.10.4 will be available on koji I'm gonna test if it works.

Thanks again !

Regards,
Christian

On Wed, 2020-12-30 at 16:36 +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 04:26:00PM +0100, Christian Labisch wrote:
> > Hello !
> >
> > I could need your help ... I have tested the new kernel 5.10.3 and sound doesn't work with this
> > version.
> > Seems the new Intel audio drivers are the main reason. What can be done ? Do you have any ideas
> > ?
> >
> > Intel Catpt driver support is new ... This deprecates the previous Haswell SoC audio driver code
> > previously providing the audio capabilities.
> > And I am having a Haswell CPU -> Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core
> > Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
>
> Can you try 5.10.4?  I think a fix for this is in there as was reported
> by another user yesterday.
>
> If not, can you run 'git bisect' on the kernels between the last good
> one that worked for you, and the one that doesn't?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

* Re: sound
@ 2020-12-30 15:36 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-12-30 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Labisch; +Cc: stable, linux-kernel

@ 2020-12-30 15:26 Christian Labisch
From: Christian Labisch @ 2020-12-30 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2002-06-25 21:28 ` h-peter recktenwald
From: h-peter recktenwald @ 2002-06-25 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: philippe; +Cc: Linux-assembly

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:51:11 +0200
philippe <pvir@freesurf.fr> wrote:

> hi
> I am new on this list and my name is Philippe.
> I used to make some programs on windows but wanted to trye on linux.
> I have a problem with a small prog i had done for windows witch play
> sounds on the fm chip of a sound card.

direct port access requires 'root' rights and the concerning ports
being enabled, with sys_ioctl or sys_ioperm. - e.g <man 2 ioctl>

> But when i translate it on linux, it doesn't work any more.
> It compile and link correctly(nasm), but on execution it writes:
> segmentation fault!
> I post you the sources at the end of this message.
>
> I had an other question:
> Where can I find bible of all the interruptions and what is the  name of
> it?

basically, there is one interrupt and several sub-codes, passed w. eax.
'the' bible doesn't exist, linux is in a somewhat 'fluid' state and, badly
documented. Paricularly no aequivalent to 'RBIL' but, you might get some
help from my syscall pages where i collect whatever i find fairly reliably
documented/tested.
	http://www.lxhp.in-berlin.de/lhpsyscal.html

regards,
	hp
--
Linux,Assembly,Forth: http://www.lxhp.in-berlin.de/index-lx.shtml en/de
NO abusive software patents http://petition.eurolinux.org/pr/pr17.html

* Re: sound
@ 2002-06-25  8:06 ` Rudolf Marek
From: Rudolf Marek @ 2002-06-25  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: philippe; +Cc: Linux-assembly

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, philippe wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:51:11 +0200
> From: philippe <pvir@freesurf.fr>
> To: Linux-assembly@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: sound
>
> hi
> I am new on this list and my name is Philippe.
> I used to make some programs on windows but wanted to trye on linux.
> I have a problem with a small prog i had done for windows witch play
> sounds on the fm chip of a sound card.
> But when i translate it on linux, it doesn't work any more.
> It compile and link correctly(nasm), but on execution it writes:
> segmentation fault!
Maybe You have no permission to write to that ports.
Use io_perm syscall to set it.

Also this king of programming is not good choice for linux. Use kernel to
do the dirty work. You can use a "services" (ioctls) of sound driver to
produce sound. I think there is an tutorial on www.linuxassembly.org
for a sound too.

> I post you the sources at the end of this message.
>
> I had an other question:
> Where can I find bible of all the interruptions and what is the  name of
> it?

It is called Ralf's Brown Inetrrupt list.
Use google.com to find it (it was on Simtelnet mirrors)

Regards

	Rudolf

> [...]
> 	out dx,al
> 	;call WaitR
>
> mov edx,0x388	;port adresse
> mov eax,0x63	;registre sb 20
> out dx,al
> 	;call WaitR
> 	mov edx,0x389	;data port
> 	mov eax,0xf0
> 	out dx,al
> 	;call WaitR
>
> mov edx,0x388	;port adresse
> mov eax,0x83	;registre sb 20
> out dx,al
> 	;call WaitR
> 	mov edx,0x389	;data port
> 	mov eax,0x7f
> 	out dx,al
> dest3:
> 	mov cx,0xff
> dest2:
>
> 	mov edx,0x388	;port adresse
> 	mov al,0xa0		;frequency
> 	out dx,al
> 	mov edx,0x389	;data port
> 	mov al,cl
> 	xor al,dl
> 	out dx,al
> ;**send the sound now gogogogo go
> 	mov edx,0x388	;port adresse
> 	mov eax,0xb0	;registre sb 20
> 	out dx,al
> 	mov edx,0x389	;data port
> 	mov eax,0x31
> 	out dx,al
> 	call Waitc
> 	call Waitc
> 	call Waitc
> 	call Waitc
>
> 	loop dest2
> ;*******************************************************
>
> mov edx,0x388	;port adresse
> mov eax,0xb0	;registre sb 20
> out dx,al
> 	;CHK:	;attend qu'on appuye sur la touche espace*****
>
> 	;mov ah,8
> 	;mov dl,0xFF
> 	;int 0x21
> 	;cmp al,' '	;espace
> 	;je SUITE
> 	;jmp CHK
> ;SUITE:
> 	mov edx,0x389	;data port
> 	mov eax,0
> 	out dx,al
>
> ;mov ax,0x4c
> ;int 0x21
>
>         mov     ebx,0   ;first syscall argument: exit code
>         mov     eax,1   ;system call number (sys_exit)
>         int     0x80    ;call kerne
>

> Waitc:
> 	push ecx
> 	mov ecx,0x8fff
> W1:
> 	nop
> 	loop W1
> 	pop ecx
> 	ret
> Waitb:
> 	push ecx
> 	mov ecx,0x1fff
> W2:
> 	nop
> 	loop W2
> 	pop ecx
> 	ret
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-assembly" in

* Re: sound
@ 2002-06-25  1:02 ` xlp
From: xlp @ 2002-06-25  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: philippe; +Cc: Linux-assembly

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:51:11PM +0200, philippe wrote:
> [...]
> 	out dx,al
> 	;call WaitR
>
> mov edx,0x388	;port adresse
> mov eax,0x63	;registre sb 20
> out dx,al
> 	;call WaitR
> 	mov edx,0x389	;data port
> 	mov eax,0xf0
> 	out dx,al
> 	;call WaitR
>
> mov edx,0x388	;port adresse
> mov eax,0x83	;registre sb 20
> out dx,al
> 	;call WaitR
> 	mov edx,0x389	;data port
> 	mov eax,0x7f
> 	out dx,al
> dest3:
> 	mov cx,0xff
> dest2:
>
> 	mov edx,0x388	;port adresse
> 	mov al,0xa0		;frequency
> 	out dx,al
> 	mov edx,0x389	;data port
> 	mov al,cl
> 	xor al,dl
> 	out dx,al
> ;**send the sound now gogogogo go
> 	mov edx,0x388	;port adresse
> 	mov eax,0xb0	;registre sb 20
> 	out dx,al
> 	mov edx,0x389	;data port
> 	mov eax,0x31
> 	out dx,al
> 	call Waitc
> 	call Waitc
> 	call Waitc
> 	call Waitc
>
> 	loop dest2
> ;*******************************************************
>
> mov edx,0x388	;port adresse
> mov eax,0xb0	;registre sb 20
> out dx,al
> 	;CHK:	;attend qu'on appuye sur la touche espace*****
>
> 	;mov ah,8
> 	;mov dl,0xFF
> 	;int 0x21
> 	;cmp al,' '	;espace
> 	;je SUITE
> 	;jmp CHK
> ;SUITE:
> 	mov edx,0x389	;data port
> 	mov eax,0
> 	out dx,al
>
> ;mov ax,0x4c
> ;int 0x21
>
>         mov     ebx,0   ;first syscall argument: exit code
>         mov     eax,1   ;system call number (sys_exit)
>         int     0x80    ;call kerne
>

> Waitc:
> 	push ecx
> 	mov ecx,0x8fff
> W1:
> 	nop
> 	loop W1
> 	pop ecx
> 	ret
> Waitb:
> 	push ecx
> 	mov ecx,0x1fff
> W2:
> 	nop
> 	loop W2
> 	pop ecx
> 	ret
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-assembly" in

@ 2002-06-24 21:51 philippe
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: philippe @ 2002-06-24 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-assembly

@ 1999-08-02 15:44 Joe Julicher
From: Joe Julicher @ 1999-08-02 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

I don't know if this has been covered yet but I have some sound questions.
(pun not intended)

I was playing with X11amp and later XMMS and noticed that there are
significant freezes in the system while the sound is playing.  For example,
if you press the button on the tool panel of gnome that retracts the panel,
it will typically retract, and play the whoosh sound.  But when you try to
extend the panel, it will freeze for a bit, and then play.  It is only
while sound is playing.  I don't think it is the X11amp software (or the
XMMS) because the xload stays low (very low).  I fiddled with the OSS
buffer sizes in the X11amp preferences but did not see any change.  XMMS
works better (the displays update in real time) but still has the pauses.
Other programs that do not depend on sound still seem to work fine and are
not paused.

System: Rev 1 G3 292mhz
	160 Mb RAM
	14 GB IDE drive