* Modular kernel (2.6.20) and software raid auto detection
@ 2007-02-15 19:19 Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2007-02-15 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

With my ide driver and the md stuff all built into the kernel, my software
raid drives and associated /dev/md? devices are detected and created by the
kernel.

With the md stuff built in but the ide driver modular and loaded later by
udev, the drives are not detected.

So, I guessed that perhaps if I made the md stuff modular aswell and load it
_after_ loading the ide driver, this might kickstart the auto-detect stuff.
But it didn't :(

Is there a way to make auto-detection work without having the ide driver built
in?

TIA

Andrew Walrond

* Re: Modular kernel (2.6.20) and software raid auto detection
@ 2007-02-15 23:32 ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2007-02-15 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Walrond; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thursday February 15, andrew@walrond.org wrote:

> With my ide driver and the md stuff all built into the kernel, my software
> raid drives and associated /dev/md? devices are detected and created by the
> kernel.

Yep.

> With the md stuff built in but the ide driver modular and loaded later by
> udev, the drives are not detected.

No, they aren't.

> So, I guessed that perhaps if I made the md stuff modular aswell and load it
> _after_ loading the ide driver, this might kickstart the auto-detect stuff.
> But it didn't :(

No, it wouldn't.

> Is there a way to make auto-detection work without having the ide driver built
> in?

Don't use in-kernel auto-detection.  Use mdadm to do the
auto-detection for you.

  mdadm --assemble --scan --homehost='<system>' --auto-update-homehost

might work providing your hostname has been set by the time it runs.

NeilBrown