* Re: First desktop motherboard supported by LinuxBIOS: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4
@ 2007-02-22  0:57 Brandon Howard
From: Brandon Howard @ 2007-02-22  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Oops, forgot to include the relevant links in the previous email:

[1]
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2287
[2] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128014
[3] http://linuxbios.org/Download_LinuxBIOS
[4] http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/free-bios.html

--- Brandon Howard <brandon_waldgrave@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4 [1] is the first-ever desktop motherboard
> supported by a Free & Open Source BIOS, thanks to AMD engineer
> Yinghai
> Lu who released GPL-licensed code last month. This state-of-the-art
> motherboard is based on the NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI chipset and AMD's
> latest Socket AM2. It contains tons of advanced features such as:
>
> Support for AMD Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 processors
> 2X PCI Express x16 slots
> 3X PCI Express x1 slots
> 2X PCI slots
> 3X 1394a (FireWire) ports
> 10X USB 2.0
> 16GB maximum memory
> SATA RAID
> 6X SATA 3Gb/s slots.
>
> This motherboard can be obtained today from many retail and online
> stores [2] and the source code for the BIOS can be downloaded from
> the
> LinuxBIOS SVN server [3].
>
> This is a huge victory in the quest for a completely Free & Open
> Source general-purpose computer that enables users to have full
> control over their own hardware. The Free Software Foundation has
> made
> the campaign for a Free BIOS a top priority because it is a key
> component in the software stack of personal computers [4]. The need
> for a Free BIOS is even more pressing since DRM and Treacherous
> Computing have found their way into some proprietary BIOSes and EFI.
> From a practical perspective, LinuxBIOS removes the need for ugly
> hacks and workarounds in the kernel that compensate for buggy BIOSes
> –
> we can now fix the BIOS ourselves.
>
> I encourage everyone upgrading their desktop computers to consider
> getting this motherboard or another one that is supported by
> LinuxBIOS.
>
> -Brandon

Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com.  Try
it now.

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front

* Re: First desktop motherboard supported by LinuxBIOS: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4
@ 2007-02-28 16:51 ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2007-02-28 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Howard; +Cc: linux-kernel

Quick question. Can this board initialize more than one graphics card?

@ 2007-03-01 16:55   ` Brandon W. Howard
From: Brandon W. Howard @ 2007-03-01 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: linux-kernel, linuxbios

--- James Simmons <jsimmons@infradead.org> wrote:
> --- Brandon W. Howard <brandon_waldgrave@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4 [1] is the first-ever desktop motherboard
> > supported by a Free & Open Source BIOS, thanks to AMD engineer
> > Yinghai
> > Lu who released GPL-licensed code last month. This
state-of-the-art
> > motherboard is based on the NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI chipset and
AMD's
> > latest Socket AM2. It contains tons of advanced features such as:
> >
> > Support for AMD Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64
processors
> > 2X PCI Express x16 slots
> > 3X PCI Express x1 slots
> > 2X PCI slots
> > 3X 1394a (FireWire) ports
> > 10X USB 2.0
> > 16GB maximum memory
> > SATA RAID
> > 6X SATA 3Gb/s slots.
> >
> > This motherboard can be obtained today from many retail and online
> > stores [2] and the source code for the BIOS can be downloaded from
> > the
> > LinuxBIOS SVN server [3].
> >
> > This is a huge victory in the quest for a completely Free & Open
> > Source general-purpose computer that enables users to have full
> > control over their own hardware. The Free Software Foundation has
> > made
> > the campaign for a Free BIOS a top priority because it is a key
> > component in the software stack of personal computers [4]. The
need
> > for a Free BIOS is even more pressing since DRM and Treacherous
> > Computing have found their way into some proprietary BIOSes and
EFI.
> > From a practical perspective, LinuxBIOS removes the need for ugly
> > hacks and workarounds in the kernel that compensate for buggy
BIOSes
> > –
> > we can now fix the BIOS ourselves.
> >
> > I encourage everyone upgrading their desktop computers to consider
> > getting this motherboard or another one that is supported by
> > LinuxBIOS.
> >
> > -Brandon
> > [1]

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2287
> > [2] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128014

> > [3] http://linuxbios.org/Download_LinuxBIOS
> > [4] http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/free-bios.html
>
> Quick question. Can this board initialize more than one graphics
> card?

The motherboard has plenty of expansion slots and is SLI-enabled, so
the hardware should support multiple graphics cards. I personally
haven’t tried this, but perhaps someone on the LinuxBIOS mailinglist
(CC’ed) has had experience with such a setup.

BTW: An OpenGraphics card (http://OpenGraphics.org ,
http://TraversalTech.com) will be released pretty soon that will be
fully documented and that will come with an open-source VGA video
BIOS.

-Brandon

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

* Re: First desktop motherboard supported by LinuxBIOS: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4
@ 2007-03-06  2:33 ` Quentin Sciascia
From: Quentin Sciascia @ 2007-03-06  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Brandon Howard <brandon_waldgrave <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I encourage everyone upgrading their desktop computers to consider
> getting this motherboard or another one that is supported by
> LinuxBIOS.

Do you know if this will work with the -S5 version of the motherboard. I have
an S5 and wouldnt mind swapping out the old bios, since its dual bios anyway.

* First desktop motherboard supported by LinuxBIOS: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4
@ 2007-02-22  0:54 Brandon Howard
From: Brandon Howard @ 2007-02-22  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

The GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4 [1] is the first-ever desktop motherboard
supported by a Free & Open Source BIOS, thanks to AMD engineer Yinghai
Lu who released GPL-licensed code last month. This state-of-the-art
motherboard is based on the NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI chipset and AMD's
latest Socket AM2. It contains tons of advanced features such as:

Support for AMD Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 processors
2X PCI Express x16 slots
3X PCI Express x1 slots
2X PCI slots
3X 1394a (FireWire) ports
10X USB 2.0
16GB maximum memory
SATA RAID
6X SATA 3Gb/s slots.

This motherboard can be obtained today from many retail and online
stores [2] and the source code for the BIOS can be downloaded from the
LinuxBIOS SVN server [3].

This is a huge victory in the quest for a completely Free & Open
Source general-purpose computer that enables users to have full
control over their own hardware. The Free Software Foundation has made
the campaign for a Free BIOS a top priority because it is a key
component in the software stack of personal computers [4]. The need
for a Free BIOS is even more pressing since DRM and Treacherous
Computing have found their way into some proprietary BIOSes and EFI.
>From a practical perspective, LinuxBIOS removes the need for ugly
hacks and workarounds in the kernel that compensate for buggy BIOSes –
we can now fix the BIOS ourselves.

I encourage everyone upgrading their desktop computers to consider
getting this motherboard or another one that is supported by
LinuxBIOS.

-Brandon

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.