* Call for Proposals : XenSummit #4, Yorktown NY
@ 2007-02-20 22:59 Ian Pratt
From: Ian Pratt @ 2007-02-20 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: summit-talks

Folks,

We are pleased to announce that IBM has offered to host the 4th Xen
Summit, which will be held April 17-18 2007 at the IBM TJ Watson
Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY.  IBM is one of the most active
contributors to the Xen project, and has been one of its strongest
supporters.

We're still planning the event, but the high level picture is this:
there is likely to be a space constraint for attendees, and priority
will be given to those who have contributed to the Xen code base
and/or those whose proposal for a talk at the Summit are accepted by
the relevant session organizer(s).  Please see the call for
presentations below.  Also, large companies may have to be limited to
a quota of attendees, so that there will be plenty of room for other
community members.

Watch for a Reg Site notice soon.  You will be responsible for your own
accommodation and transport; there will be as small a fee as we can
manage, to cover lunches, dinner, registration staff and some form of
fun event.

Let's make this another great summit!

Best,
Ian

Call for Presentation Proposals
-------------------------------

The Xen Summit, Spring '07 at IBM Watson Research, Yorktown will
include two full days of technical discussion and working meetings.
There will be opening and closing plenary sessions, and up to two
tracks of parallel sessions during the remainder of the meeting.  We
invite you to submit proposals for presentations and/or tutorials on
any of the topics below, or indeed any other topic of importance to
the Xen development community.  Note that this meeting is for
developers only, and is expected to address detailed technical issues.
Areas of interest include:

 Xen Project roadmap
 Xen Security roadmap
 Core hypervisor roadmap
 x86/ia64/ppc and other ports
 Integrating smart I/O hardware
 Benchmarking and performance optimization
 Testing
 Xen Control Stack roadmap
 Linux Paravirt_ops and upstreaming
 Solaris, *BSD and other OSes
 Improving emulated device support
 SCSI, Framebuffer and other driver support
 Research projects using Xen

Please send a paragraph proposing your topic and desired presentation
length (plan for 1/2 hour sessions) detailing the specific technical
area and contribution you will make.

As with previous summits, all the talks presented will be collected to
appear as PDFs on the summit web site.

Please submit your proposals to summit-talks@xensource.com by 7 March.

* Re: Call for Proposals : XenSummit #4, Yorktown NY
@ 2007-02-21 14:27 ` Jun Koi
From: Jun Koi @ 2007-02-21 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Pratt; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Ian,

I would love to attend the summit, but the problem is that summit is
too close. I believe that can be a problem for others as well. Usually
we must have the plan in advance few months before, and it also takes
time to arrange the working schedule for the trip.

A question: are we going to have a summit around OLS or sometimes in
the summer? That would be helpful to know it, so we can prepare from
now.

Thanks,
Jun

@ 2007-02-21 16:55 ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2007-02-21 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Pratt; +Cc: xen-devel, summit-talks

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 10:59:24PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:

> Call for Presentation Proposals
> -------------------------------
>
> The Xen Summit, Spring '07 at IBM Watson Research, Yorktown will
> include two full days of technical discussion and working meetings.
> There will be opening and closing plenary sessions, and up to two
> tracks of parallel sessions during the remainder of the meeting.  We
> invite you to submit proposals for presentations and/or tutorials on
> any of the topics below, or indeed any other topic of importance to
> the Xen development community.  Note that this meeting is for
> developers only, and is expected to address detailed technical issues.
> Areas of interest include:
>
>  Xen Project roadmap
>  Xen Security roadmap
>  Core hypervisor roadmap
>  x86/ia64/ppc and other ports
>  Integrating smart I/O hardware
>  Benchmarking and performance optimization
>  Testing
>  Xen Control Stack roadmap
>  Linux Paravirt_ops and upstreaming
>  Solaris, *BSD and other OSes
>  Improving emulated device support
>  SCSI, Framebuffer and other driver support
>  Research projects using Xen
>
> Please send a paragraph proposing your topic and desired presentation
> length (plan for 1/2 hour sessions) detailing the specific technical
> area and contribution you will make.
>
> As with previous summits, all the talks presented will be collected to
> appear as PDFs on the summit web site.

How about requiring people to submit real papers on their chosen subject,
rather than just presentation slides ? The PDFs from papers presented
at OLS are orders of magnitude more useful than slides we've typically
accumulated from previous Xen summits. In particular for all those Xen
community members who can't actually go along to the summit itself, the
slides have very little content to learn from.

I realize the time constraints until this current summit don't allow much
scope for long/formal writeups, but even just a few of pages of descriptive
text or technical details on the subject could be very beneficial as a
long term record of stuff covered at the summit.

Regards,
Dan.

* Re: Call for Proposals : XenSummit #4, Yorktown NY
@ 2007-02-21 16:59   ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2007-02-21 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange; +Cc: Ian Pratt, xen-devel, summit-talks

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 10:59:24PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
>> Call for Presentation Proposals
>> -------------------------------
>>
>> The Xen Summit, Spring '07 at IBM Watson Research, Yorktown will
>> include two full days of technical discussion and working meetings.
>> There will be opening and closing plenary sessions, and up to two
>> tracks of parallel sessions during the remainder of the meeting.  We
>> invite you to submit proposals for presentations and/or tutorials on
>> any of the topics below, or indeed any other topic of importance to
>> the Xen development community.  Note that this meeting is for
>> developers only, and is expected to address detailed technical issues.
>> Areas of interest include:
>>
>>  Xen Project roadmap
>>  Xen Security roadmap
>>  Core hypervisor roadmap
>>  x86/ia64/ppc and other ports
>>  Integrating smart I/O hardware
>>  Benchmarking and performance optimization
>>  Testing
>>  Xen Control Stack roadmap
>>  Linux Paravirt_ops and upstreaming
>>  Solaris, *BSD and other OSes
>>  Improving emulated device support
>>  SCSI, Framebuffer and other driver support
>>  Research projects using Xen
>>
>> Please send a paragraph proposing your topic and desired presentation
>> length (plan for 1/2 hour sessions) detailing the specific technical
>> area and contribution you will make.
>>
>> As with previous summits, all the talks presented will be collected to
>> appear as PDFs on the summit web site.
>
> How about requiring people to submit real papers on their chosen subject,
> rather than just presentation slides ? The PDFs from papers presented
> at OLS are orders of magnitude more useful than slides we've typically
> accumulated from previous Xen summits. In particular for all those Xen
> community members who can't actually go along to the summit itself, the
> slides have very little content to learn from.
>
> I realize the time constraints until this current summit don't allow much
> scope for long/formal writeups, but even just a few of pages of descriptive
> text or technical details on the subject could be very beneficial as a
> long term record of stuff covered at the summit.

It's often harder to write a short paper than a long one.  April is a
pretty short run way for writing a paper and a presentation.  I do agree
with your premise though, papers are very useful.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

@ 2007-02-22 12:35   ` Mark Williamson
From: Mark Williamson @ 2007-02-22 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, Daniel P. Berrange; +Cc: Ian Pratt, summit-talks

> How about requiring people to submit real papers on their chosen subject,
> rather than just presentation slides ? The PDFs from papers presented
> at OLS are orders of magnitude more useful than slides we've typically
> accumulated from previous Xen summits. In particular for all those Xen
> community members who can't actually go along to the summit itself, the
> slides have very little content to learn from.

I agree, this would be much more useful as a record of what happened, *and* as
additional documentation for the community.

As a project, we often don't do a good job of documenting exactly what we're
up to or the concepts guiding various design choice.  Building up a corpus of
proceedings documents seems like a worthwhile improvement if we're already
going to the trouble of having the summit!

> I realize the time constraints until this current summit don't allow much
> scope for long/formal writeups, but even just a few of pages of descriptive
> text or technical details on the subject could be very beneficial as a
> long term record of stuff covered at the summit.

Yes.  For this summit, at least, the writeups wouldn't have to be polished, or
contain complicated studies.  Just a summary of what the talk is about, what
people are working on and why, plus copy and paste + discussion of any
graphs / diagrams that appear in the accompanying presentation.

Another option I'd like to suggest is maybe making an audio / video record of
the talks available.  Wouldn't have to be good quality but again would give
more information than just the slides, plus might be able to record any
questions at the end.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!

* RE: Call for Proposals : XenSummit #4, Yorktown NY
@ 2007-02-23  0:43   ` Ian Pratt
From: Ian Pratt @ 2007-02-23  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Koi; +Cc: xen-devel

> I would love to attend the summit, but the problem is that summit is
> too close. I believe that can be a problem for others as well. Usually
> we must have the plan in advance few months before, and it also takes
> time to arrange the working schedule for the trip.

Sorry about that. Things firmed up rather late for this summit (mostly
my fault, sorry).

> A question: are we going to have a summit around OLS or sometimes in
> the summer? That would be helpful to know it, so we can prepare from
> now.

I expect we'll organize another 'mini summit' afternoon get-together at
OLS, but not a full summit. It's been suggested that holding a Xen
Summit in Cambridge (UK) in September around the time of the Linux
kernel summit would be a good idea. It's certainly convenient for me,
but I know its hard for many US-based folk to get permission to travel
outside North America. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ian

* RE: Call for Proposals : XenSummit #4, Yorktown NY
@ 2007-02-22 17:57 Simon Crosby
From: Simon Crosby @ 2007-02-22 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Williamson, xen-devel, Daniel P. Berrange; +Cc: Ian Pratt(X), summit-talks

I'll look into getting video recording available.

Thanks

Simon

--
Simon Crosby
CTO                      (425) 202 8010 (o)