* [Qemu-devel] armv6 support
@ 2007-02-23 20:09 Rodrigo Vivi
From: Rodrigo Vivi @ 2007-02-23 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Osvaldo Santana, marcio.macedo

Hi all,

Is there someone working on armv6 support?
I'm very interested to help this development...

Thanks,
Rodrigo Vivi.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] armv6 support
@ 2007-02-23 22:54 ` Paul Brook
From: Paul Brook @ 2007-02-23 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Osvaldo Santana, Rodrigo Vivi, marcio.macedo

On Friday 23 February 2007 20:09, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there someone working on armv6 support?
> I'm very interested to help this development...

I already have ARMv6 and ARMv7 implemented, but am unable to release the code.
See:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-03/msg00202.html

We (CodeSourcery) are negotiating with ARM to have this restriction lifted,
but it's slow going.

If you want to see ARMv6 support in QEMU please contact ARM directly and
encourage them to sort the legal issues out.

Paul

* RE: [Qemu-devel] armv6 support
@ 2007-02-26  8:24   ` Magnus.Einarsson
From: Magnus.Einarsson @ 2007-02-26  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: osantana, rodrigo.vivi, marcio.macedo

> From:
> qemu-devel-bounces+magnus.einarsson=tietoenator.com@nongnu.org

ngnu.org] On Behalf Of Paul Brook
> Sent: den 23 februari 2007 23:55
> To: qemu-devel@nongnu.org
> Cc: Osvaldo Santana; Rodrigo Vivi; marcio.macedo@gmail.com
> Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] armv6 support
>
> On Friday 23 February 2007 20:09, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is there someone working on armv6 support?
> > I'm very interested to help this development...
>
> I already have ARMv6 and ARMv7 implemented, but am unable to
> release the code.
> See:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-03/msg00202.html
>
> We (CodeSourcery) are negotiating with ARM to have this
> restriction lifted, but it's slow going.
>
> If you want to see ARMv6 support in QEMU please contact ARM
> directly and encourage them to sort the legal issues out.
>
> Paul

Would you be able to share the code with someone that has an appropriate
license with ARM?

Magnus

* Re: [Qemu-devel] armv6 support
@ 2007-02-26 17:13     ` Paul Brook
From: Paul Brook @ 2007-02-26 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: osantana, rodrigo.vivi, Magnus.Einarsson, marcio.macedo

> > I already have ARMv6 and ARMv7 implemented, but am unable to
> > release the code.
> > See:
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-03/msg00202.html
> >
> > We (CodeSourcery) are negotiating with ARM to have this
> > restriction lifted, but it's slow going.
> >
> > If you want to see ARMv6 support in QEMU please contact ARM
> > directly and encourage them to sort the legal issues out.
> >
> Would you be able to share the code with someone that has an appropriate
> license with ARM?

No. Section 7 of the GPL says that the code must be freely[1] redistributeable
or not distributed at all.

Even if this were not the case I would be extremely reluctant to do this. It
would effectively mean that you would be able to distribute an armv6 qemu but
we would not (because you have braver lawers than we do).

Paul

[1] freely = to any third party under the terms of the GPL.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] armv6 support
@ 2007-03-06 23:27   ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2007-03-06 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Paul Brook

On Friday 23 February 2007 5:54 pm, Paul Brook wrote:
> On Friday 23 February 2007 20:09, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is there someone working on armv6 support?
> > I'm very interested to help this development...
>
> I already have ARMv6 and ARMv7 implemented, but am unable to release the
> code.

On an unrelated note, is there any way to tell qemu to only support a subset,
ala i386 or i586, armv4l, disable the math coprocessor, nommu, etc?  (Or is
it on the todo list anywhere?)

There are times I want to build a distro for somebody trying to deploy on a
via samuel or some such, and I want a way to test that this will actually run
on that hardware and that the darn toolchain/kernel/uClibc didn't leak
something more recent into the binary.  (I'd love to be able to test uClinux
on qemu instead of armulator.)

Rob
--
Vista: Windows Millenium Second Edition

* Re: [Qemu-devel] armv6 support
@ 2007-03-06 23:40     ` Paul Brook
From: Paul Brook @ 2007-03-06 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 23:27, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Friday 23 February 2007 5:54 pm, Paul Brook wrote:
> > On Friday 23 February 2007 20:09, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Is there someone working on armv6 support?
> > > I'm very interested to help this development...
> >
> > I already have ARMv6 and ARMv7 implemented, but am unable to release the
> > code.
>
> On an unrelated note, is there any way to tell qemu to only support a
> subset, ala i386 or i586, armv4l, disable the math coprocessor, nommu, etc?

Yes, however most of the subsets you mention aren't implemented.
Specifically only the ARM VFP coprocessor can be easily disabled.

Restricting emulation to i586/armv4 isn't particularly hard, it just needs
some time spent to do the work. The new features I'm adding (eg. armv6) are
going to be optional from the start.

>  (Or is it on the todo list anywhere?)

I have no personal plans to do x86 or armv4. People periodically request this,
but so far noone has cared enough to invest the necessary effort.

> I'd love to be able to test uClinux on qemu instead of armulator

uClinux runs fine under qemu. Just because the CPU has an MMU doesn't mean you
have to enable it.

Paul