* [Xenomai-core] [RFT] RTnet on x86_64
@ 2007-02-23 23:30 Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2007-02-23 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rtnet-users; +Cc: rtnet-developers, xenomai-core, xenoma-help

recent development on Xenomai and the underlying I-pipe patch [1]
reached a point where real experiments on yet another architecture for
RTnet are starting to make sense.

In fact, RTnet has been enabled to build over x86_64 already two weeks
back, including a necessary fix to the RTDM layer. I just checked again:
it still compiles fine. 8)

I'm lacking a test platform, so _you_ have the unique chance to be the
first person running RTnet on 64 bits! Grab a 2.6.19 kernel and the
latest I-pipe patch [2], checkout Xenomai [3] and RTnet trunk [4]. Put
everything on some native 64-bit Linux installation and give it hell.

Ah, and don't forget to report your findings!

Jan

[1] https://mail.gna.org/public/xenomai-core/2007-02/msg00205.html
[2] http://download.gna.org/adeos/patches/v2.6/x86_64/
[3] https://gna.org/svn/?group=xenomai
[4] http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=68976

* [Xenomai-core] Re: [Xenomai-help] [RFT] RTnet on x86_64
@ 2007-02-24  0:10 ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2007-02-24  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai; +Cc: rtnet-developers, Jan Kiszka, rtnet-users

Hi Jan

On Friday 23 February 2007 23:30, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> recent development on Xenomai and the underlying I-pipe patch [1]
> reached a point where real experiments on yet another architecture for
> RTnet are starting to make sense.
>
> In fact, RTnet has been enabled to build over x86_64 already two weeks
> back, including a necessary fix to the RTDM layer. I just checked again:
> it still compiles fine. 8)
>
> I'm lacking a test platform, so _you_ have the unique chance to be the
> first person running RTnet on 64 bits! Grab a 2.6.19 kernel and the
> latest I-pipe patch [2], checkout Xenomai [3] and RTnet trunk [4]. Put
> everything on some native 64-bit Linux installation and give it hell.

As you probably know, I've already committed to running tests over the weekend
on real hardware - Not being familiar with RTnet, are there any test suites
that can be used on say i386<->AMD64<->ppc ?

> Ah, and don't forget to report your findings!

/me is good at breaking "stuff" and reporting the results ;)

Regards, Paul.

* [Xenomai-core] Re: [Xenomai-help] [RFT] RTnet on x86_64
@ 2007-02-24  9:42   ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2007-02-24  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul; +Cc: xenomai, rtnet-users, Jan Kiszka, xenomai-core, rtnet-developers

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 00:10 +0000, Paul wrote:
> Hi Jan
>
> On Friday 23 February 2007 23:30, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> > recent development on Xenomai and the underlying I-pipe patch [1]
> > reached a point where real experiments on yet another architecture for
> > RTnet are starting to make sense.
> >
> > In fact, RTnet has been enabled to build over x86_64 already two weeks
> > back, including a necessary fix to the RTDM layer. I just checked again:
> > it still compiles fine. 8)
> >
> > I'm lacking a test platform, so _you_ have the unique chance to be the
> > first person running RTnet on 64 bits! Grab a 2.6.19 kernel and the
> > latest I-pipe patch [2], checkout Xenomai [3] and RTnet trunk [4]. Put
> > everything on some native 64-bit Linux installation and give it hell.
>
> As you probably know, I've already committed to running tests over the weekend
> on real hardware - Not being familiar with RTnet, are there any test suites
> that can be used on say i386<->AMD64<->ppc ?
>
> > Ah, and don't forget to report your findings!
>
> /me is good at breaking "stuff" and reporting the results ;)

Btw, to push SMP too hard for now, I've just discovered an instability
under RT operations, and enabling the tracer over SMP does introduce
another random issue here. UP still looks fine. I'm going to chase the
SMP issues now.

> Regards, Paul.

Philippe.

* [Xenomai-core] Re: [Xenomai-help] [RFT] RTnet on x86_64
@ 2007-02-24 12:00     ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2007-02-24 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul; +Cc: xenomai, rtnet-users, Jan Kiszka, xenomai-core, rtnet-developers

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 10:42 +0100, Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 00:10 +0000, Paul wrote:
> > Hi Jan
> >
> > On Friday 23 February 2007 23:30, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> > > recent development on Xenomai and the underlying I-pipe patch [1]
> > > reached a point where real experiments on yet another architecture for
> > > RTnet are starting to make sense.
> > >
> > > In fact, RTnet has been enabled to build over x86_64 already two weeks
> > > back, including a necessary fix to the RTDM layer. I just checked again:
> > > it still compiles fine. 8)
> > >
> > > I'm lacking a test platform, so _you_ have the unique chance to be the
> > > first person running RTnet on 64 bits! Grab a 2.6.19 kernel and the
> > > latest I-pipe patch [2], checkout Xenomai [3] and RTnet trunk [4]. Put
> > > everything on some native 64-bit Linux installation and give it hell.
> >
> > As you probably know, I've already committed to running tests over the weekend
> > on real hardware - Not being familiar with RTnet, are there any test suites
> > that can be used on say i386<->AMD64<->ppc ?
> >
> > > Ah, and don't forget to report your findings!
> >
> > /me is good at breaking "stuff" and reporting the results ;)
> >

> Btw, to push SMP too hard for now, I've just discovered an instability
> under RT operations, and enabling the tracer over SMP does introduce
> another random issue here. UP still looks fine. I'm going to chase the
> SMP issues now.

CONFIG_PREEMPT breaks the toy when enabled, so you should be able to
safely run the Xenomai stack over SMP/x86_64 without preemption for the
time being.

--
Philippe.