* [KJ] make menuconfig -> usb dsl support
@ 2007-02-24  3:24 David Negreira
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Negreira @ 2007-02-24  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

Hello there!

I would ask you all to do a make menuconfig, go to device drivers -> usb
support -> usb dsl support
If you do a search (/speedtouch) you will find that there should be an
option there.

Why is that empty ? I know that some kernel versions ago it had support
for an alcatel modem that i have in order to do the proper firmware
What happened?
Should this section be removed from the kernel options ?
If that is the case, can i remove it and submit a patch ?

Waiting for feedback.

--
David Negreira.

* Re: [KJ] make menuconfig -> usb dsl support
@ 2007-02-24  4:27 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2007-02-24  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 03:24:21AM +0000, David Negreira wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I would ask you all to do a make menuconfig, go to device drivers -> usb
> support -> usb dsl support
> If you do a search (/speedtouch) you will find that there should be an
> option there.
>
> Why is that empty ? I know that some kernel versions ago it had support
> for an alcatel modem that i have in order to do the proper firmware
> What happened?
> Should this section be removed from the kernel options ?
> If that is the case, can i remove it and submit a patch ?

Try enabling CONFIG_ATM and I think the driver option for the usb dsl
divers will come back :)

Hint, in the future, just search for the option and it will show you the
dependancies in the help file (for menuconfig, use '/' to search).

hope this helps,

greg k-h

* Re: [KJ] make menuconfig -> usb dsl support
@ 2007-02-25  0:43 ` David Negreira
From: David Negreira @ 2007-02-25  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 20:27 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 03:24:21AM +0000, David Negreira wrote:
> > Hello there!
> >
> > I would ask you all to do a make menuconfig, go to device drivers -> usb
> > support -> usb dsl support
> > If you do a search (/speedtouch) you will find that there should be an
> > option there.
> >
> > Why is that empty ? I know that some kernel versions ago it had support
> > for an alcatel modem that i have in order to do the proper firmware
> > What happened?
> > Should this section be removed from the kernel options ?
> > If that is the case, can i remove it and submit a patch ?
>
> Try enabling CONFIG_ATM and I think the driver option for the usb dsl
> divers will come back :)
>
> Hint, in the future, just search for the option and it will show you the
> dependancies in the help file (for menuconfig, use '/' to search).
>
> hope this helps,
>
> greg k-h

Okey my error.

But as a "standard behaviour", instead of entering in the usb dls
support and showing a blank screen, shouldn't only stay in the same
screen? I'm asking this because this is the "standard behaviour" that i
see in the other options and it confused me a little bit.

--

@ 2007-02-25  5:24 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2007-02-25  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 12:43:55AM +0000, David Negreira wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 20:27 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 03:24:21AM +0000, David Negreira wrote:
> > > Hello there!
> > >
> > > I would ask you all to do a make menuconfig, go to device drivers -> usb
> > > support -> usb dsl support
> > > If you do a search (/speedtouch) you will find that there should be an
> > > option there.
> > >
> > > Why is that empty ? I know that some kernel versions ago it had support
> > > for an alcatel modem that i have in order to do the proper firmware
> > > What happened?
> > > Should this section be removed from the kernel options ?
> > > If that is the case, can i remove it and submit a patch ?
> >
> > Try enabling CONFIG_ATM and I think the driver option for the usb dsl
> > divers will come back :)
> >
> > Hint, in the future, just search for the option and it will show you the
> > dependancies in the help file (for menuconfig, use '/' to search).
> >
> > hope this helps,
> >
> > greg k-h
>
> Okey my error.
>
> But as a "standard behaviour", instead of entering in the usb dls
> support and showing a blank screen, shouldn't only stay in the same
> screen? I'm asking this because this is the "standard behaviour" that i
> see in the other options and it confused me a little bit.

Possibly, if you don't like the way this works, I suggest you send a
patch to the Kconfig files to the maintainer of the driver.

thanks,

greg k-h