* dead code in persistent tape rules
@ 2007-02-28 14:10 Matthias Schwarzott
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matthias Schwarzott @ 2007-02-28 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Hi there!

I think last commit to udev (persistent device naming: tape devices and medium
changers) contains strange rules that may be thought to look other way. This
is how they look now (60-persistent-storage.rules):

ACTION!="add", GOTO="persistent_storage_end"
ACTION!="add", GOTO="persistent_tape_end"

Second jump is never reached (as then first already branched to
persistent_storage_end), perhaps that should be SUBSYSTEMS!="scsi" or
similar.

Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)

* Re: dead code in persistent tape rules
@ 2007-02-28 16:07 ` Jamie Wellnitz
From: Jamie Wellnitz @ 2007-02-28 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:10:50PM +0100, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I think last commit to udev (persistent device naming: tape devices and medium
> changers) contains strange rules that may be thought to look other way. This
> is how they look now (60-persistent-storage.rules):
>
> ACTION!="add", GOTO="persistent_storage_end"
> ACTION!="add", GOTO="persistent_tape_end"

Whoops, that's mine.

In an earlier attempt of mine, this block of rules was in a different
file and I kept this check.

> Second jump is never reached (as then first already branched to
> persistent_storage_end), perhaps that should be SUBSYSTEMS!="scsi" or
> similar.

As you mention, the 2nd ACTION check could be changed to check for
SCSI, something like:

SUBSYSTEMS!="scsi", GOTO="persistent_tape_end"

or both references to persistent_tape_end could be removed.  I don't
think I have a preference.

> Matthias
>
> --
> Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)

Thanks,
	Jamie

* Re: dead code in persistent tape rules
@ 2007-02-28 16:27 ` Kay Sievers
From: Kay Sievers @ 2007-02-28 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On 2/28/07, Jamie Wellnitz <Jamie.Wellnitz@emulex.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:10:50PM +0100, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> > I think last commit to udev (persistent device naming: tape devices and medium
> > changers) contains strange rules that may be thought to look other way. This
> > is how they look now (60-persistent-storage.rules):
> >
> > ACTION!="add", GOTO="persistent_storage_end"
> > ACTION!="add", GOTO="persistent_tape_end"
>
> Whoops, that's mine.
>
> In an earlier attempt of mine, this block of rules was in a different
> file and I kept this check.
>
> > Second jump is never reached (as then first already branched to
> > persistent_storage_end), perhaps that should be SUBSYSTEMS!="scsi" or
> > similar.
>
> As you mention, the 2nd ACTION check could be changed to check for
> SCSI, something like:
>
> SUBSYSTEMS!="scsi", GOTO="persistent_tape_end"
>
> or both references to persistent_tape_end could be removed.  I don't
> think I have a preference.

I've removed the jump and the label.

Thanks,
Kay

* Re: dead code in persistent tape rules
@ 2007-02-28 16:42 ` Jamie Wellnitz
From: Jamie Wellnitz @ 2007-02-28 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:27:49PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Jamie Wellnitz <Jamie.Wellnitz@emulex.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:10:50PM +0100, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> >> I think last commit to udev (persistent device naming: tape devices and
> >medium
> >> changers) contains strange rules that may be thought to look other way.
> >This
> >> is how they look now (60-persistent-storage.rules):
> >>
> >> ACTION!="add", GOTO="persistent_storage_end"
> >> ACTION!="add", GOTO="persistent_tape_end"
> >
> >Whoops, that's mine.
> >
> >In an earlier attempt of mine, this block of rules was in a different
> >file and I kept this check.
> >
> >> Second jump is never reached (as then first already branched to
> >> persistent_storage_end), perhaps that should be SUBSYSTEMS!="scsi" or
> >> similar.
> >
> >As you mention, the 2nd ACTION check could be changed to check for
> >SCSI, something like:
> >
> >SUBSYSTEMS!="scsi", GOTO="persistent_tape_end"
> >
> >or both references to persistent_tape_end could be removed.  I don't
> >think I have a preference.
>
> I've removed the jump and the label.

Thanks.  Sorry about the dead code.

> Thanks,