* RME AES32 & MADI
@ 2007-01-31 12:11 Remy Bruno
From: Remy Bruno @ 2007-01-31 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello,

I have been working on the AES32 and will soon provide a patch to get it
(hopefully) fully operational (hdspm code).

Moreover, I also worked on the MADI card, but the original hdspm driver didn't
work for me (ie the code before my modifications to support AES32). I had to
deal with the following points:
  - it needed the DDS feature (clock divisor), as for the AES32 and hdsp9632
    cards (this may be a new behavior for recent cards)
  - the channel map needed to always be channel_map_madi_ss (and never
    channel_map_madi_ds, even at 96k), as for AES32. Otherwise, the routing was
    not correct.
  - not enough DMA memory was beeing allocated (only for
    "params_channels(params)" channels whereas it should be allocated for all
    the channels, otherwise it didn't work at 96kHz) (alsa-lib was complaining,
    so I don't think an old MADI card would work either)
  - I had to play with the channel and rate rules
    (snd_hdspm_hw_rule_channels_rate and so on) to get it working. Not
    completely clear to me how it works but it didn't work as it was

So here come my questions:
  - Was the MADI driver completely fonctionnal before now? In other words,
    maybe an older revision of the card was working as the code suggested (ie
    differently than the revision I have, which is 204), can anyone confirm
    this?
  - As a corollary: should I keep the compatibility with the old code? IE keep
    using channel_map_madi_ds, etc. for revisions < 204?

I will provide a patch when I know how to deal with the previous code.

Bye

Remy