* [Qemu-devel] Clock runs at double speed in guest
@ 2007-03-29  0:54 Thomas Tuttle
From: Thomas Tuttle @ 2007-03-29  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi.

I have a 64-bit dual-core (Core 2 Duo) laptop, and I'm trying to install
Gentoo AMD64 on a Qemu virtual machine.

The system clock runs at double speed.  If I run `date' in a tight loop,
I can see it ticking off two seconds for every one second of real time.
The hardware clock does not run at double speed; if I run `hwclock
--hctosys', the system clock jumps back to the right time.

I have tried:

1) Setting the host's RTC's max-user-freq to 1024
2) Setting the guest's RTC's max-user-freq to 1024, just for good measure
3) Running the host with the CPU frequency locked to the minimum (1 GHz)
4) Running the host with the CPU frequency locked to the maximum (2 GHz)

This problem does not occur if:

1) The guest is booted with the kernel parameter "nolapic"
2) The guest is a 32-bit kernel
3) I manually modify hw/mc146818rtc.c to send interrupts half as
   often.

I'd really like to get this fixed, because it's the only barrier to me
being able to use Qemu (and KVM) for arch testing Gentoo.

If there's any more information I can provide (if you need access to the
machine, it could be arranged), please don't hesitate to ask.

I am not subscribed to qemu-devel, so please CC me on replies.

Thanks,

Thomas Tuttle

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Clock runs at double speed in guest
@ 2007-03-31 22:17 ` C.W. Betts
From: C.W. Betts @ 2007-03-31 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, qemu-devel

What OS are you using?