* [U-Boot-Users] [GIT PULL] AVR32 update: relocation and a couple of other things
@ 2007-04-14 14:00 Haavard Skinnemoen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Haavard Skinnemoen @ 2007-04-14 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

The following changes since commit 6c9ba919375db977aaad9146bf320c7afd07ae7a:
  Wolfgang Denk (1):
        Update CHANGELOG

are found in the 'for-upstream' branch of the git repository at:

  git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-avr32.git for-upstream

This request has been posted twice before:

http://groups.google.com/group/osdeve_mirror_boot-loaders_u-boot/browse_thread/thread/7c2d50a77c310966/90f030e73cef6bf6?lnk=gst
http://groups.google.com/group/osdeve_mirror_boot-loaders_u-boot/browse_thread/thread/3cd6ae1384844f3/f9db0d0380f575df?lnk=gst

with no feedback, so I can't honestly say that this stuff has been
reviewed. It's been, however, 5 months since I wrote the tricky bits and I
haven't had any problems with it. Besides, the existing code has quite
a few problems that the new code doesn't have:
  * It runs directly from flash, which makes it different from other ports.
  * The FAT filesystem can't be used because it makes the .bss section too big.
  * The generic cfi code can't be used because code dealing with flash
    needs special annotations so that it can be locked in the cache.

Now, the new code doesn't actually _use_ the generic cfi code yet, but
this set of changes makes it a lot easier to throw away the custom
flash code later.

Please let me know if you want this stuff in a different form or something.

H?vard

Haavard Skinnemoen (9):
      AVR32: Split start_u_boot into board_init_f and board_init_r
      AVR32: Use avr32-linux- cross-compilation prefix by default
      AVR32: Build position-independent u-boot
      AVR32: Clean up memory-map.h for at32ap7000
      AVR32: Resource management rewrite
      AVR32: Relocate u-boot to SDRAM
      AVR32: Use initdram() instead of board_init_memories()
      AVR32: Provide a definition of struct stat
      AVR32: Include more commands for ATSTK1000

 Makefile                                       |    2 +-
 avr32_config.mk                                |    2 +-
 board/atmel/atstk1000/atstk1000.c              |   17 +-
 board/atmel/atstk1000/flash.c                  |    2 +-
 board/atmel/atstk1000/u-boot.lds               |   21 +-
 cpu/at32ap/Makefile                            |    2 +-
 cpu/at32ap/at32ap7000/Makefile                 |    2 +-
 cpu/at32ap/at32ap7000/devices.c                |  448 ------------------------
 cpu/at32ap/at32ap7000/gpio.c                   |   77 ++++
 cpu/at32ap/at32ap7000/hebi.c                   |   38 --
 cpu/at32ap/cpu.c                               |   64 +++-
 cpu/at32ap/device.c                            |  126 -------
 cpu/at32ap/entry.S                             |    3 +-
 cpu/at32ap/exception.c                         |    7 +-
 cpu/at32ap/hsdramc.c                           |   43 +--
 cpu/at32ap/hsdramc1.h                          |    8 +-
 cpu/at32ap/hsmc3.h                             |    8 +-
 cpu/at32ap/interrupts.c                        |   14 +-
 cpu/at32ap/pio.c                               |   90 ++----
 cpu/at32ap/pio2.h                              |    8 +-
 cpu/at32ap/pm.c                                |  127 +-------
 cpu/at32ap/sm.h                                |    8 +-
 cpu/at32ap/start.S                             |  113 +++++--
 drivers/atmel_usart.c                          |   48 ++-
 drivers/atmel_usart.h                          |    8 +-
 include/asm-avr32/arch-at32ap7000/clk.h        |   58 +++
 include/asm-avr32/arch-at32ap7000/gpio.h       |  210 +++++++++++
 include/asm-avr32/arch-at32ap7000/hmatrix2.h   |    8 +-
 include/asm-avr32/arch-at32ap7000/memory-map.h |   81 +++--
 include/asm-avr32/arch-at32ap7000/platform.h   |  146 --------
 include/asm-avr32/global_data.h                |    4 +-
 include/asm-avr32/initcalls.h                  |    2 -
 include/configs/atstk1002.h                    |   39 ++-
 include/linux/stat.h                           |   25 ++
 lib_avr32/avr32_linux.c                        |    4 +-
 lib_avr32/board.c                              |  140 +++++++-
 delete mode 100644 cpu/at32ap/at32ap7000/devices.c
 create mode 100644 cpu/at32ap/at32ap7000/gpio.c
 delete mode 100644 cpu/at32ap/at32ap7000/hebi.c
 delete mode 100644 cpu/at32ap/device.c
 create mode 100644 include/asm-avr32/arch-at32ap7000/clk.h
 create mode 100644 include/asm-avr32/arch-at32ap7000/gpio.h
 delete mode 100644 include/asm-avr32/arch-at32ap7000/platform.h

* [U-Boot-Users] [GIT PULL] AVR32 update: relocation and a coupleofother things
@ 2007-04-15 23:28 ` Robin Gilks
From: Robin Gilks @ 2007-04-15 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Haavard Skinnemoen wrote:
> The following changes since commit 6c9ba919375db977aaad9146bf320c7afd07ae7a:
>   Wolfgang Denk (1):
>         Update CHANGELOG
>
> are found in the 'for-upstream' branch of the git repository at:
>
>   git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-avr32.git for-upstream
>
> This request has been posted twice before:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/osdeve_mirror_boot-loaders_u-boot/browse_thread/thread/7c2d50a77c310966/90f030e73cef6bf6?lnk=gst
> http://groups.google.com/group/osdeve_mirror_boot-loaders_u-boot/browse_thread/thread/3cd6ae1384844f3/f9db0d0380f575df?lnk=gst
>
> with no feedback, so I can't honestly say that this stuff has been
> reviewed. It's been, however, 5 months since I wrote the tricky bits and I
> haven't had any problems with it. Besides, the existing code has quite
> a few problems that the new code doesn't have:
>   * It runs directly from flash, which makes it different from other ports.
>   * The FAT filesystem can't be used because it makes the .bss section too big.
>   * The generic cfi code can't be used because code dealing with flash
>     needs special annotations so that it can be locked in the cache.
>
> Now, the new code doesn't actually _use_ the generic cfi code yet, but
> this set of changes makes it a lot easier to throw away the custom
> flash code later.
>
> Please let me know if you want this stuff in a different form or something.
>
> H?vard

Is this why I'm having so much hassle getting the ngw100 board to
compile in git HEAD ? eg. 'board_init_f' missing. If thats the case, I'd
appreciate a kick in the right direction on how to apply the patches
myself (never having used git apart from getting the u-boot tree in the
first place).

I'd really prefer to start with HEAD than the patched 1.1.4

Thanks

--
Robin

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.

* [U-Boot-Users] [GIT PULL] AVR32 update: relocation and a coupleofother things
@ 2007-04-16  0:30 ` Robin Gilks
From: Robin Gilks @ 2007-04-16  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Haavard Skinnemoen wrote:
> The following changes since commit 6c9ba919375db977aaad9146bf320c7afd07ae7a:
>   Wolfgang Denk (1):
>         Update CHANGELOG
>
> are found in the 'for-upstream' branch of the git repository at:
>
>   git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-avr32.git for-upstream
>
> This request has been posted twice before:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/osdeve_mirror_boot-loaders_u-boot/browse_thread/thread/7c2d50a77c310966/90f030e73cef6bf6?lnk=gst
> http://groups.google.com/group/osdeve_mirror_boot-loaders_u-boot/browse_thread/thread/3cd6ae1384844f3/f9db0d0380f575df?lnk=gst
>
> with no feedback, so I can't honestly say that this stuff has been
> reviewed. It's been, however, 5 months since I wrote the tricky bits and I
> haven't had any problems with it. Besides, the existing code has quite
> a few problems that the new code doesn't have:
>   * It runs directly from flash, which makes it different from other ports.
>   * The FAT filesystem can't be used because it makes the .bss section too big.
>   * The generic cfi code can't be used because code dealing with flash
>     needs special annotations so that it can be locked in the cache.
>
> Now, the new code doesn't actually _use_ the generic cfi code yet, but
> this set of changes makes it a lot easier to throw away the custom
> flash code later.
>
> Please let me know if you want this stuff in a different form or something.
>
> H?vard

Is this why I'm having so much hassle getting the ngw100 board to
compile in git HEAD ? eg. 'board_init_f' missing. If thats the case, I'd
appreciate a kick in the right direction on how to apply the patches
myself (never having used git apart from getting the u-boot tree in the
first place).

I'd really prefer to start with HEAD than the patched 1.1.4

Thanks (hopefully in plain text this time)

@ 2007-04-16  9:05   ` Haavard Skinnemoen
From: Haavard Skinnemoen @ 2007-04-16  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:30:24 +1200
Robin Gilks <robin.gilks@tait.co.nz> wrote:

> Is this why I'm having so much hassle getting the ngw100 board to
> compile in git HEAD ? eg. 'board_init_f' missing. If thats the case, I'd
> appreciate a kick in the right direction on how to apply the patches
> myself (never having used git apart from getting the u-boot tree in the
> first place).

Could be. There are other differences between mainline and the Atmel
tree as well. I'm hoping to minimize those differences over time.

> I'd really prefer to start with HEAD than the patched 1.1.4

Please try out the ngw-board branch from
git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-avr32.git. I'm having some trouble with
flash programming (saveenv doesn't work), so I haven't included it in
the master branch yet, but it's a start. I'm hoping to use the generic
cfi driver instead of the custom stuff soon.

> Thanks (hopefully in plain text this time)

I didn't see anything but plain text the first time around, but I've
seen Thunderbird do strange things from time to time, so it's probably
a good idea to keep an eye on it ;-)

Haavard

* [U-Boot-Users] [GIT PULL] AVR32 update: relocation and a couple of other things
@ 2007-04-18 14:57 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2007-04-18 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <20070414160012.34fbdc02@dhcp-252-105.norway.atmel.com> you wrote:
> The following changes since commit 6c9ba919375db977aaad9146bf320c7afd07ae7a:
>   Wolfgang Denk (1):
>         Update CHANGELOG
>
> are found in the 'for-upstream' branch of the git repository at:
>
>   git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-avr32.git for-upstream

Merged.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Don't hit a man when he's down - kick him; it's easier.

* [U-Boot-Users] [GIT PULL] AVR32 update: relocation and acoupleofother things
@ 2007-04-19  3:59     ` Robin Gilks
From: Robin Gilks @ 2007-04-19  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Haavard Skinnemoen wrote:
> Please try out the ngw-board branch from
> git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-avr32.git. I'm having some trouble with
> flash programming (saveenv doesn't work), so I haven't included it in
> the master branch yet, but it's a start. I'm hoping to use the generic
> cfi driver instead of the custom stuff soon.

Now that the avr32 branch has been merged (was all of it merged?), are
there any outstanding ngw100 changes I should be looking at? I'm
expecting my hardware to arrive in a couple of weeks and I'm quite
willing to looking into flash problems (I had similar problems with an
mpc8xx a couple of years ago!!).

As I explained before, my knowledge of git and cogito (which I prefer
since it makes a bit more sense) on how to pull branches from a
repository is somewhat sparse (and documentation tends to assume
knowledge of things not in my vocabulary). The embedded stuff is easy,
the tools make my head hurt...

Thanks

--
Robin Gilks
Senior Design Engineer          Phone: (+64)(3) 357 1569
PO Box 1645 Christchurch        Email : robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
New Zealand

@ 2007-04-19  8:18       ` Haavard Skinnemoen
From: Haavard Skinnemoen @ 2007-04-19  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:59:42 +1200
Robin Gilks <robin.gilks@tait.co.nz> wrote:

> Now that the avr32 branch has been merged (was all of it merged?), are
> there any outstanding ngw100 changes I should be looking at? I'm
> expecting my hardware to arrive in a couple of weeks and I'm quite
> willing to looking into flash problems (I had similar problems with an
> mpc8xx a couple of years ago!!).

The ngw100 code wasn't pulled because I was still having problems with
it. However, I've found a fix in the AVR32 Linux BSP patchset that I
applied to the current ngw-board branch, and it seems to fix the
problem. I've pushed out the fix, could you give it a try?

> As I explained before, my knowledge of git and cogito (which I prefer
> since it makes a bit more sense) on how to pull branches from a
> repository is somewhat sparse (and documentation tends to assume
> knowledge of things not in my vocabulary). The embedded stuff is easy,
> the tools make my head hurt...

I recommend that you start by doing
git fetch git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-avr32.git ngw-board:ngw-board

Then, you can either do your own changes directly on top of this branch:
git checkout -b my-ngw-stuff ngw-board

or you can pull it into a branch that you've already been doing some
work on:
git checkout my-work-branch
git pull . ngw-board

Unfortunately, I haven't used cogito much myself, so I can't help you
with that. But the basic principles should be mostly the same.

Haavard

* [U-Boot-Users] [GIT PULL] AVR32 update: relocation andacoupleofother things
@ 2007-04-19 23:09         ` Robin Gilks
From: Robin Gilks @ 2007-04-19 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Haavard Skinnemoen wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:59:42 +1200
> Robin Gilks <robin.gilks@tait.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>  The embedded stuff is easy,
>> the tools make my head hurt...
>>

> I recommend that you start by doing
> git fetch git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-avr32.git ngw-board:ngw-board
>
> Then, you can either do your own changes directly on top of this branch:
> git checkout -b my-ngw-stuff ngw-board
>
> or you can pull it into a branch that you've already been doing some
> work on:
> git checkout my-work-branch
> git pull . ngw-board
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't used cogito much myself, so I can't help you
> with that. But the basic principles should be mostly the same.
>
> Haavard

Many thanks for that - I'd never have found that there was a branch, and
certainly not managed to download it without your help.

I've got a clean build for the ngw100 now so I'm just waiting on
hardware :-) Interesting to see that a comparable number of options
built in and its less than half the size of a powerpc (mpc859T) binary.

--

@ 2007-04-19 23:17           ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2007-04-19 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <4627F6BB.2040107@tait.co.nz> you wrote:

> Many thanks for that - I'd never have found that there was a branch, and

You can see this easily when you check the web interface, for example:

http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot/u-boot-avr32.git;a=summary

Scroll down to "heads" and you can  see  which  branches  exist.  Try
clickingon one of the links.

> certainly not managed to download it without your help.

BTW: the cogito way to clone a branch is:

$ cg-clone 'git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot-avr32.git#ngw-board'

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Just about every computer on the market today runs Unix,  except  the
Mac (and nobody cares about it).                   - Bill Joy 6/21/85