* VFAT: slow fs corruption? [long]
@ 2007-04-18 17:58 Albrecht Dreß
From: Albrecht Dreß @ 2007-04-18 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel

Hi all,

first, please excuse me if this is a very dump question...

I use Linux (inter alia) on an ARM9 system which is attached to a
measurement device.  The device produces a new data set of ~10 kByte about
every 20 seconds, and the ARM system stores the data on a 1GB SD card
attached to it.  The kernel is unfortunately rather old - 2.6.11,
including several vendor (Digi) supplied drivers.  I didn't have time yet
to port them all to a recent kernel.

My first approach was to use the SD card with a VFAT file system on it, as
such cards usually come pre-formatted with it and as the VFAT cluster size
of 16k matches the erase block size of the card, which should help its
built-in wear leveller to do its job.

After some time, though, I noticed that several files with measurement
data were empty, although the directory indicated that they were not.  The
system was not switched off, and I always call sync() after producing a
new file.  Running dosfsck on the file system, I got several errors like

   File size is 13978 bytes, cluster chain length is 0 bytes.
   Truncating file to 0 bytes.

or

Cluster 0 out of range (4849729 > 247450). Setting to EOF.
Orphaned long file name part "5d"

My first idea was that the (Digi supplied) MMC driver is somewhat broken.
Just to check that, I re-formatted the SD card with ext2, and ran the test
again - and all files looked fine!  Called "e2fsck -f" - no problems with
the file system.  That seems to indicate that the MMC layer /does/
actually work.

Questions:
- Is the conclusion correct that the problem seems to be in the VFAT part,
not in the MMC layer?
- Are there known issues with VFAT in 2.6.11 which might lead to the
observed problems?  Were they fixed?
- Is it possible to change the block size in ext2 to 16k (to match the SD
card's erase block size)?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Cheers,
Albrecht.

--
  Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
        Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de

* Re: VFAT: slow fs corruption? [long]
@ 2007-04-18 23:00 ` Benjamin LaHaise
From: Benjamin LaHaise @ 2007-04-18 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albrecht Dreß; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 07:58:40PM +0200, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> - Are there known issues with VFAT in 2.6.11 which might lead to the
> observed problems?  Were they fixed?
> - Is it possible to change the block size in ext2 to 16k (to match the SD
> card's erase block size)?

Flash cards tend to be rather flaky given that they are low cost consumer
grade commodities these days.  I would recommend getting a new card first
and seeing if you can still replicate the problem.  Out of the box, I've
had to replace 2 of 8 flash cards in the last 6 months when they showed
similiarly eerie data corruption when files disappeared.  Doing an md5sum
on the device 2 times in a row and getting back different results is Not
Good.

		-ben
--
"Time is of no importance, Mr. President, only life is important."
Don't Email: <zyntrop@kvack.org>.

* Re: VFAT: slow fs corruption? [long]
@ 2007-04-26 17:37   ` Albrecht Dreß
From: Albrecht Dreß @ 2007-04-26 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)