* [U-Boot-Users] [patch] Fix NC650 nand support
@ 2007-04-20 10:07 Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2007-04-20 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: NC650-nand.patch
Type: text/x-diff
Size: 1768 bytes
Desc: not available

* [U-Boot-Users] [patch] Fix NC650 nand support
@ 2007-04-20 11:38 ` Stefan Roese
From: Stefan Roese @ 2007-04-20 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Detlev,

On Friday 20 April 2007 12:07, Detlev Zundel wrote:
> as noted in the subject attached a patch to fix the nand support for
> NC650 boards.

You might want to clean up the compiler warnings too (ELDK 4.1)? ;-)

Best regards,
Stefan

* [U-Boot-Users] [patch] Fix NC650 nand support
@ 2007-04-20 13:53   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2007-04-20 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <200704201338.51115.sr@denx.de> you wrote:

> You might want to clean up the compiler warnings too (ELDK 4.1)? ;-)

Done. [4.2 actually :-) ]

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Only in our dreams we are free.  The rest of the time we need  wages.
                                    - Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_

* [U-Boot-Users] [patch] Fix NC650 nand support
@ 2007-04-20 15:14     ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2007-04-20 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Wolfgang,

> In message <200704201338.51115.sr@denx.de> you wrote:
>>
>> You might want to clean up the compiler warnings too (ELDK 4.1)? ;-)
>
> Done. [4.2 actually :-) ]

Hm.  I am eager to see the changes. If you *really* cleaned *all*
warnings then I am sure you also fixed the warning in extable.c and
while doing this noticed that the whole fixup only works because we
have a maximum of one fixup entry (./drivers/tsi108_pci.c, I cannot
find any user of addr_probe anywhere).  Otherwise the sorting of the
table is missing and thus the searching with a bisecting algorithm
will not work as is.

I am *really looking* forward to the patch fixing that :)

Cheers
  Detlev

--
PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW:    Any Use of  This Product,  in Any Manner
Whatsoever, Will Increase the Amount of Disorder in the Universe. Although No

* [U-Boot-Users] [patch] Fix NC650 nand support
@ 2007-04-20 15:49       ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2007-04-20 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <m2irbr3wou.fsf@sowhat.denx.de> you wrote:

> Hm.  I am eager to see the changes. If you *really* cleaned *all*

Not all, just those for the NC650 build.

> warnings then I am sure you also fixed the warning in extable.c and

Indeed.

> while doing this noticed that the whole fixup only works because we
> have a maximum of one fixup entry (./drivers/tsi108_pci.c, I cannot
> find any user of addr_probe anywhere).  Otherwise the sorting of the
> table is missing and thus the searching with a bisecting algorithm
> will not work as is.

I didn'tnotice this, I just cleaned up the compiler warning.

> I am *really looking* forward to the patch fixing that :)

Don't tell me, tell the author of the code.

Roy, are you listening?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Man did not weave the web of life; he  is  merely  a  strand  in  it.
Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.     - Seattle [1854]

* [U-Boot-Users] [patch] Fix NC650 nand support
@ 2007-04-22 23:52         ` Zang Roy-r61911
From: Zang Roy-r61911 @ 2007-04-22 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 23:49, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <m2irbr3wou.fsf@sowhat.denx.de> you wrote:

> [snip]
> > while doing this noticed that the whole fixup only works because we
> > have a maximum of one fixup entry (./drivers/tsi108_pci.c, I cannot
> > find any user of addr_probe anywhere).
Tsi108/9 pci config read will introduce a exception. I do not see other
exception after code relocation.

> Otherwise the sorting of the
> > table is missing and thus the searching with a bisecting algorithm
> > will not work as is.
Why?

> I didn'tnotice this, I just cleaned up the compiler warning.
>
> > I am *really looking* forward to the patch fixing that :)

I am also.
> Don't tell me, tell the author of the code.
>
> Roy, are you listening?
Yes. I am listening.
Roy

* [U-Boot-Users] [patch] Fix NC650 nand support
@ 2007-04-23 13:00           ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2007-04-23 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Roy,

> On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 23:49, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> In message <m2irbr3wou.fsf@sowhat.denx.de> you wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>> > while doing this noticed that the whole fixup only works because we
>> > have a maximum of one fixup entry (./drivers/tsi108_pci.c, I cannot
>> > find any user of addr_probe anywhere).
> Tsi108/9 pci config read will introduce a exception. I do not see other
> exception after code relocation.
>
>> Otherwise the sorting of the
>> > table is missing and thus the searching with a bisecting algorithm
>> > will not work as is.
> Why?

As I said, the search algorithm only works with a sorted table - just
what "sort_main_extable" does in Linux.  To be honest I did not look
too hard but I couldn't find anything similar in U-Boot so the table
will be unsorted and thus very likely fail if more entries are added.

So either sorting the table at some point or instead doing a linear
search would fix the problems.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
It's very important  that you sleep because that's  when your brain is
garbage  collecting.  And a  dream is  if you  are interrupted  in the

@ 2007-04-24  6:32             ` Zang Roy-r61911
From: Zang Roy-r61911 @ 2007-04-24  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 21:00, Detlev Zundel wrote:
> Hi Roy,
[snip]
> we
> cannot
> > Tsi108/9 pci config read will introduce a exception. I do not see
> other
> > exception after code relocation.
> >
> >> Otherwise the sorting of the
> algorithm
> > Why?
>
> As I said, the search algorithm only works with a sorted table - just
> what "sort_main_extable" does in Linux.  To be honest I did not look
> too hard but I couldn't find anything similar in U-Boot so the table
> will be unsorted and thus very likely fail if more entries are added.

Unsorted table will induce error for more entries.
Until now, I can only see tsi108_pci.c adds exception item for the
exception table. Other boards have empty addr_probe. They are commented
out.

> So either sorting the table at some point or instead doing a linear
> search would fix the problems.

I prefer the second. I will do some test on my board and give the patch.
Thanks.
Roy